king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
At 711 last night around 8:30 to get nail polish remover. While looking for the item, three guys walk past me, go to the other side of the aisle, stand there, and keep staring at me. Nobody else is in the store, I grab a couple of items and walk to the counter. No one is there. I look around, the three guys haven't moved, just standing there and looking at me. I see the store clerk, a middle-aged guy, walking towards me from the other side of the store, telling me quietly "watch out for them", then opens the door, calls someone (a huge guy who is standing outside), and they go behind the counter. I give him the stuff, the three guys come stand next to me. I'm at the farthest point of the line, my right arm touching the door, my left touching the guy's arm who is standing that close, no mask, asking what my name is. The two guys at the counter look scared as heck and I'm thinking about all the things I can do or say to piss this guy off (one being 'you are making me uncomfortable') so I don't say it and say instead "Sarah" (that's my go-to name, lovely how I'm protecting my identity in that situation, or maybe the headache to spell hoori). "Where do you live?" is the next question. The cashier gives me the bag, I push the door and jump outside. On the other side of the street is this bar with all these people sitting outside, on the right side is this Starbucks, on the left side is a fast food restaurant, lots of people, safety. Hi New York :grin:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
At 711 last night around 8:30 to get nail polish remover. While looking for the item, three guys walk past me, go to the other side of the aisle, stand there, and keep staring at me. Nobody else is in the store, I grab a couple of items and walk to the counter. No one is there. I look around, the three guys haven't moved, just standing there and looking at me. I see the store clerk, a middle-aged guy, walking towards me from the other side of the store, telling me quietly "watch out for them", then opens the door, calls someone (a huge guy who is standing outside), and they go behind the counter. I give him the stuff, the three guys come stand next to me. I'm at the farthest point of the line, my right arm touching the door, my left touching the guy's arm who is standing that close, no mask, asking what my name is. The two guys at the counter look scared as heck and I'm thinking about all the things I can do or say to piss this guy off (one being 'you are making me uncomfortable') so I don't say it and say instead "Sarah" (that's my go-to name, lovely how I'm protecting my identity in that situation, or maybe the headache to spell hoori). "Where do you live?" is the next question. The cashier gives me the bag, I push the door and jump outside. On the other side of the street is this bar with all these people sitting outside, on the right side is this Starbucks, on the left side is a fast food restaurant, lots of people, safety. Hi New York :grin:
You're in NYC?

I thought you were in Philly

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I read this toast three times and it still don't understand what these guys wanted from you. NYC seems like absolute hell based on this story alone

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I read this toast three times and it still don't understand what these guys wanted from you. NYC seems like absolute hell
I think the 711 store clerk had a history with them, probably why he warned me and called the other guy, all this made me a lot more conscious but i don't remember ever feeling violated/threatened like this in a public place and not being prepared for it (even if it was 711, it was only 8:30, crowds outside etc).

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Sorry to hear that happened to you. As much as I like to poke fun at radical feminists if I were a woman I probably wouldn't leave the house without mace, tazer, a knife, smoke grenades, purse gun, ankle gun etc.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Was out I the west village tonight for dinner and the amount of cars driving by would have you thinking it was pre Covid time
Yeah it seems most people are resuming normal life for the most part now, I'm commonly seeing social media posts of people dining out now too. Most people still seems to be wearing a mask and keeping a good distance from each other when possible though so that's good.

I'm sorry that happened to you, glad you're ok. I'm sure the rest of your time here will be much better.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Nice!

We're on the west side in Chelsea

A few Tuzzers live here and we link quite often. Parks are now the new piazzas
We are close, we live in Hell's Kitchen.

I have a vision that someday we will get together and watch Juve lose another CL final :touched:

Sorry to hear that happened to you. As much as I like to poke fun at radical feminists if I were a woman I probably wouldn't leave the house without mace, tazer, a knife, smoke grenades, purse gun, ankle gun etc.
I think carrying pepper spray and some cash to give up are good measures, that's one of the first things they told us in the school orientation when I had just moved to the US.

I'm sorry that happened to you, glad you're ok. I'm sure the rest of your time here will be much better.
My first impression of New York as a resident is that people are much kinder here than in Philly. People in Philly are probably the grumpiest in the US :lazy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 103)