Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So. Old firm wanted me out because I was supposedly too expensive and they got an intern instead. They paid me three months severance fee.

We're now three months on and the intern they got can't handle the workload, so they are now looking to hire an extra person. Which means losing way more money than it would have cost to keep me and now they have to train two people as well.

As for me I got a new firm the day I left. The last three months I have effectively been getting double wages. But the best part? In January I'll start with my old firm's biggest rival. For almost double the pay I had originally.

It's too much almost.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
So. Old firm wanted me out because I was supposedly too expensive and they got an intern instead. They paid me three months severance fee.

We're now three months on and the intern they got can't handle the workload, so they are now looking to hire an extra person. Which means losing way more money than it would have cost to keep me and now they have to train two people as well.

As for me I got a new firm the day I left. The last three months I have effectively been getting double wages. But the best part? In January I'll start with my old firm's biggest rival. For almost double the pay I had originally.

It's too much almost.

They sound as stupid as the law firm I used to work for :touched:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

:lol:

Then once their livers fail, we can still try to sell their fatty livers to the Chinese.
:lol: American Fupa. What a delicacy.

It's too much almost.

It is, but it's not your problem anymore. They've made their decision and will have to live with it. I still sense you feel it was a bit personal, but it really sounds like business. And sometimes business decisions are bad. Good for you to continue to move on from that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

American Fupa. What a delicacy.

It is, but it's not your problem anymore. They've made their decision and will have to live with it. I still sense you feel it was a bit personal, but it really sounds like business. And sometimes business decisions are bad. Good for you to continue to move on from that.
No, it was definitely personal as well. It's a law firm. Every decision about personnel is both business and personal.

It's exactly why you get decade long rivalries. It's very different from most other jobs I've noticed.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Working in the field of law would bore me to death. It's just... no. It would literally be the most boring job ever.

But yeah, I know, some people do love it. That's totally fine. It's always great to see people do what they like.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Working in the field of law would bore me to death. It's just... no. It would literally be the most boring job ever.

But yeah, I know, some people do love it. That's totally fine. It's always great to see people do what they like.
Lol.

It depends on what you do. I don't think many people would call my job boring. I litigate. I go to court. I plead cases. There is drama every single time. Not to mention that every time you go to court you have a certain kind of stress and then release after. You get used to it, but there is still some tension there.

Also, a pretty fun factor is that the vast majority of young lawyers are women in Belgium. As a young man it's a fun environment to be in. It's pretty much non stop flirting.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
No, it was definitely personal as well. It's a law firm. Every decision about personnel is both business and personal.

It's exactly why you get decade long rivalries. It's very different from most other jobs I've noticed.

In that case, you have some wives and girlfriends to seduce and bang. What are you waiting for?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Lol.

It depends on what you do. I don't think many people would call my job boring. I litigate. I go to court. I plead cases. There is drama every single time. Not to mention that every time you go to court you have a certain kind of stress and then release after. You get used to it, but there is still some tension there.

Also, a pretty fun factor is that the vast majority of young lawyers are women in Belgium. As a young man it's a fun environment to be in. It's pretty much non stop flirting.

Is that a good thing? Doesn't really sound like that.

I get that. That part is not boring. Boring part the law itself.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Is that a good thing? Doesn't really sound like that.

I get that. That part is not boring. Boring part the law itself.
It is a good thing. With experience this isn't vomit inducing stress. You just get a little nervous every time. But less and less. And afterwards, especially when it goes well of course, you have a sense of pride.

People often think it's just talking. But just talking isn't so easy when everyone in the room is looking at you.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What? They tried to replace an experienced associate with an intern? lmao they didn't think highly of you at all
Truth is they don't think highly of anyone. I myself replaced an experienced associate as an intern for them.

I guess I should have realised that how you get them is how they leave you.

The associate fired before me (who was replaced by an intern as well) told me as much. It's odd how much people warn you and you refuse to listen.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You got money and experience on your resume, it all counts for something in the end regardless.
It does. My financial situation actually got a huge boost because of all this and the new job I'm going to is one that is likely to have more opportunity for growth.

The most painful part of it all was something I did not expect though. I had genuine friends at that firm. And I mean that still. It's not that they stabbed me in the back or dropped me as soon as I was fired.

One girl in particular kept talking to me and cheering me up. I can't say she wasn't a friend.

But somewhere along the way it deteriorates, because you start to feel she has her team and you're not on it. You start to notice her defend the indefensible.

And then it hit me. I used to be friends with the people who left or were let go before me. And the friendship deteriorated as well. And now I see that back then I was defending the things she is defending now. Now I am the person making twice as much and warning her that she is not treated well and she's not having it.

It's funny, but being fired was a real eye opener. You think friendships can survive if you go from one law firm to another. But it doesn't prove to be quite so easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 456)