Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
So it turns out my boss has been ripping me off for quite a while and has now managed to give a less experienced coworker lawyer more money than me. He asked her to keep it a secret.

The friggin' woman is one of my best friends.

What the fuck did this moron think was going to happen?

The best part about this is that I'll probably just quit, but I'm going to leave them an insane amount of work to handle (which I'm fine with, because I van process a lot, but no way someone else is going to be able to pull this off). Not to mention the fact that no one at that firm wins as much cases as I do.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Either they are really stupid or they don't mind losing you.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 2, 2005
It looks like the worst environment
I can understand that new comers get more than old employees esp. if coming from competitors.
I am facing same situation.
Unfortunately for me, I am already in a company that is top 4 in the world in the field I work in, and it is not easy to switch employers in a saturated companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
It seems so. The issue here is that the girl is simply not at my level yet. She's a great person and I'm sure she'll be a great lawyer soon. But she and I both know I'm the better lawyer right now.

She'll start to earn more than me by October. I refuse to work a single minute in that office knowing she'll get paid more for doing easier work.

Wow that's pretty fucked up

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I could and I'd probably get more money. My friend said she knew they'd give me more than her, simply because I win much bigger cases than her. And she's probably right.

But it's a matter of principle as well. They're apparently fine with ripping me off. The only reason I know is the girl and I are friends.

I don't get this. Probably the reason they pay her more than you is because she asked for it when being hired and you didn't, no? Why else would they pay her more?

Why not just tell them you are unhappy and want more money?

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any dentists in this Forum?
I am an orthodontist but close enough. how can i help?

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
It seems so. The issue here is that the girl is simply not at my level yet. She's a great person and I'm sure she'll be a great lawyer soon. But she and I both know I'm the better lawyer right now.

She'll start to earn more than me by October. I refuse to work a single minute in that office knowing she'll get paid more for doing easier work.

Ask for a better salary. If you're a rockstar lawyer they'll likely give it to you. If not, then fuck off to a competitor.

Good litigators quickly become well known in the field.

Lawyers can be fuckin rats, and if they don't give two shits about their most important assets (human resources) then it's definitely a red flag slapping you in the face telling you to jump ship.

Edit: just properly read your first post. Nvm about asking for a better salary, as they'll know your friend didn't keep her word on not telling anyone.

Try to get hired by a competitor, then when you get a better offer you tell your current boss about it and that you want to take it. You'll hold all the cards.

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't get this. Probably the reason they pay her more than you is because she asked for it when being hired and you didn't, no? Why else would they pay her more?

Why not just tell them you are unhappy and want more money?

- - - Updated - - -

I am an orthodontist but close enough. how can i help?
This wasn't when they were hiring her. They gave her a raise. I am going to ask for a raise now too, but the fact is they should have never given her a raise that went above my salary without giving me more, because I do more and more complicated work while winning more cases. It makes no sense.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ask for a better salary. If you're a rockstar lawyer they'll likely give it to you. If not, then fuck off to a competitor.

Good litigators quickly become well known in the field.

Lawyers can be fuckin rats, and if they don't give two shits about their most important assets (human resources) then it's definitely a red flag slapping you in the face telling you to jump ship.

Edit: just properly read your first post. Nvm about asking for a better salary, as they'll know your friend didn't keep her word on not telling anyone.

Try to get hired by a competitor, then when you get a better offer you tell your current boss about it and that you want to take it. You'll hold all the cards.
They wouldn't know because they are aware there are a few personal reasons that I need the money right now (building a house and starting a family).

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
This wasn't when they were hiring her. They gave her a raise. I am going to ask for a raise now too, but the fact is they should have never given her a raise that went above my salary without giving me more, because I do more and more complicated work while winning more cases. It makes no sense.

maybe its just my Americanness but I don't understand why you are offended if she asked for a raise and you didn't. In my experience raises are not entirely about what you deserve but what you can get. I got a raise in my previous job because I demanded one and implied when asking that I would leave if i didn't get it. It worked.

This is why women earn less money than men because they often won't rock the boat to get it. They think it should just be handed to them on merit.

If you ask for the raise and still don't get it then yea I would be pissed.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
maybe its just my Americanness but I don't understand why you are offended if she asked for a raise and you didn't. In my experience raises are not entirely about what you deserve but what you can get. I got a raise in my previous job because I demanded one and implied when asking that I would leave if i didn't get it. It worked.

This is why women earn less money than men because they often won't rock the boat to get it. They think it should just be handed to them on merit.

If you ask for the raise and still don't get it then yea I would be pissed.
This. Seems very unreasonable for Seven to be upset they gave her more money if she asked for it, just because he makes less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 1083)