Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
The conversation here made me somehow click on @Kyle 's profile, never seen something more disgusting/disturbing in my life, like seriously whatdafakkkk that doing on this forum, lmao even 2 girls 1 cup seems lightweight after seeing this... :yuck: :sick: :wallbang:

Tho, how is it not deleted yet lol :snoop:

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
The conversation here made me somehow click on @Kyle 's profile, never seen something more disgusting/disturbing in my life, like seriously whatdafakkkk that doing on this forum, lmao even 2 girls 1 cup seems lightweight after seeing this... :yuck: :sick: :wallbang:

Tho, how is it not deleted yet lol :snoop:
Because Kyle still fappin.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Oh, the let down.

So I started getting replies on the e-mails that I sent for publishing my book. I'm getting more and more answers (and info from others) that publishing houses want direct money to cover all of the expenses for publishing. Then, they also take 50% of the profit from which they sell the same book. It seems barely anybody wants to pay on their own, but want author to do so.

It got me thinking. And what a piece of shit. Just lately I saw a woman publish a book. She's older and a director in Montenegro. I saw her promotion and I was like "oh, she's got family, high position, and now a book... damn". And today it turns out that a publishing house that got her book our made a reply to me saying how I need to invest all the money. No wonder literature is dead over here, despite us having one of the best writers in the history (or just amazing). In the end the quality of the book barely even matters cause you have to write it and without thinking just pay for it to get published? What a new low. No wonder Coelho is one the most read authors nowadays. Seriously disgusting. And now I might face a nothing because my parents can't invest into such thing (while selling books wouldn't even make a tiny profit out of it). :sergio:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, the let down.

So I started getting replies on the e-mails that I sent for publishing my book. I'm getting more and more answers (and info from others) that publishing houses want direct money to cover all of the expenses for publishing. Then, they also take 50% of the profit from which they sell the same book. It seems barely anybody wants to pay on their own, but want author to do so.

It got me thinking. And what a piece of shit. Just lately I saw a woman publish a book. She's older and a director in Montenegro. I saw her promotion and I was like "oh, she's got family, high position, and now a book... damn". And today it turns out that a publishing house that got her book our made a reply to me saying how I need to invest all the money. No wonder literature is dead over here, despite us having one of the best writers in the history (or just amazing). In the end the quality of the book barely even matters cause you have to write it and without thinking just pay for it to get published? What a new low. No wonder Coelho is one the most read authors nowadays. Seriously disgusting. And now I might face a nothing because my parents can't invest into such thing (while selling books wouldn't even make a tiny profit out of it). :sergio:

Lol. The entire point of a publisher is that he takes on the cost of publishing in exchange for part of the profit. Any sort of scheme in which you have to pay to get published and are then forced to split the profit is a rip off.

I'm sure they're selling it to you as if they're going to use their vast network to promote your book, but they won't.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yep what Seven said, the very idea of you paying for all the publishing while they take half the profits is full on insane ripoff. I guess as an unproven novice they trying to take complete advantage on you. But even that has it limits, there is no risk involved when they have no financial investment in taking a chance on your work.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
And if you sell it as E-book?

Even if you don't like E-Books (don't like em myself), but the costs have to be way lower.

Lot's of pretty successful e-book sellers on Amazon. I think you have to say goodbye to the idea if making money though, The first book is all about making a name for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
Self-publish eBooks and paperbacks for free with Kindle Direct Publishing, and reach millions of readers on Amazon.

Get to market fast. Publishing takes less than 5 minutes and your book appears on Kindle stores worldwide within 24-48 hours.

Make more money. Earn up to 70% royalty on sales to customers in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, India, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and more. Enroll in KDP Select and earn more money through Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

Keep control. Keep control of your rights and set your own list prices. Make changes to your books at any time.

Publish in digital and print. Publish Kindle eBooks and paperbacks for free on KDP.
Get started today! Self-publish with KDP for free.
Sure has it's drawbacks, but for an unknown author it seems like a good start.

Better than paying a shitload of money that you might never get back.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Lol. The entire point of a publisher is that he takes on the cost of publishing in exchange for part of the profit. Any sort of scheme in which you have to pay to get published and are then forced to split the profit is a rip off.

I'm sure they're selling it to you as if they're going to use their vast network to promote your book, but they won't.
Yep what Seven said, the very idea of you paying for all the publishing while they take half the profits is full on insane ripoff. I guess as an unproven novice they trying to take complete advantage on you. But even that has it limits, there is no risk involved when they have no financial investment in taking a chance on your work.
I know guys, fucking disgusting.

By the way, there's only one publisher here that lets you have the money. They pay everything and they give you 10% of the profit. That literally means 0.7e per book sold. WHich is also disgusting.

I wouldn't mind making my name out of it, or at least try it. I'd even accept no profit if they cover the expenses. It seems there's no way to publish anything by myself if I don't end up paying a heavy sum for it. And they take half of the profit :sergio:

And if you sell it as E-book?

Even if you don't like E-Books (don't like em myself), but the costs have to be way lower.

Lot's of pretty successful e-book sellers on Amazon. I think you have to say goodbye to the idea if making money though, The first book is all about making a name for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
Sure has it's drawbacks, but for an unknown author it seems like a good start.
I literally know nobody who reads e-books here. I myself don't but that's not even the point. THAT thing is not popular here and I already I wouldn't sell any, unlike print version which people love a lot more.

Oh and also, publishing e-book in Serbian would be even a bigger disaster. :D

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
THAT thing is not popular here and I already I wouldn't sell any, unlike print version which people love a lot more.

Publish in digital and print. Publish Kindle eBooks and paperbacks for free on KDP.
Benefits of publishing paperbacks with KDP include:

Rights: Maintain creative control and own your copyright with our non-exclusive agreement.

100% availability: Printing on demand means your book will never be out of stock.
Distribution: Reach readers through Amazon websites in the US, Europe, and Japan.

Royalties: Earn up to 60% royalties on the list price you set, minus printing costs.

Here’s how to publish your paperback on KDP:

*Prepare your manuscript and cover. Check out our tools and resources
Make sure your book meets our publishing and content guidelines.

*Use your Amazon account to sign in to KDP or create a new one.

*Make sure your browser is updated.

*Go to your Bookshelf. In the "Create a New Title" section, click + Paperback.
Enter your information for each section:

*Paperback Details: Enter your title, description, keywords, categories, etc.

*Paperback Content: Choose paper type and trim size. Upload your manuscript and create your cover. Preview your paperback.

*Paperback Rights & Pricing: Select the territories where you hold distribution rights. Set your list price.

After entering your information, click Publish Your Paperback Book.
:p

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I know guys, fucking disgusting.

By the way, there's only one publisher here that lets you have the money. They pay everything and they give you 10% of the profit. That literally means 0.7e per book sold. WHich is also disgusting.

I wouldn't mind making my name out of it, or at least try it. I'd even accept no profit if they cover the expenses. It seems there's no way to publish anything by myself if I don't end up paying a heavy sum for it. And they take half of the profit :sergio:

I literally know nobody who reads e-books here. I myself don't but that's not even the point. THAT thing is not popular here and I already I wouldn't sell any, unlike print version which people love a lot more.

How much would you have to pay per book to release them and keep most of the profits?

IMO that's just how it works in these lines of work, if it was an easy road everyone would want to be an artist not to work as a cashier or plumber. To become a successful professional musician or an actor in a theatre you also have to dedicate hundreds and thousands of hours before you start reaping any serious fruits and that's hardly a guarantee that you will reap any fruits at all.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How much would you have to pay per book to release them and keep most of the profits?

IMO that's just how it works in these lines of work, if it was an easy road everyone would want to be an artist not to work as a cashier or plumber. To become a successful professional musician or an actor in a theatre you also have to dedicate hundreds and thousands of hours before you start reaping any serious fruits and that's hardly a guarantee that you will reap any fruits at all.

That's not how it works. There would be 0 risk involved for the publisher, while they get half of the potentional profits. That makes no sense.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
That's not how it works. There would be 0 risk involved for the publisher, while they get half of the potentional profits. That makes no sense.
But obviously that's how it works in that particular market where the amount of writers clearly exceed the demand for books. If it wasn't so, publishers would be more concerned about losing a potential asset.

For 2 years I took a road to become an opera singer and trust me, it takes a lot of dedication, sacrifice and years of lack of money to pull it off. I gave it up understanding that I'd need to climb the first steps of the ladder for like 6-8 years more and that I want to provide for my family without working 2 jobs for the next decade. It would seem that not a lot of people are interested in this kind of deal, yet the competition is super fierce and there are many talented guys going at it, because it's one of those jobs everyone would love to do. I believe it's similar for writers, actors etc

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But obviously that's how it works in that particular market where the amount of writers clearly exceed the demand for books. If it wasn't so, publishers would be more concerned about losing a potential asset.

For 2 years I took a road to become an opera singer and trust me, it takes a lot of dedication, sacrifice and years of lack of money to pull it off. I gave it up understanding that I'd need to climb the first steps of the ladder for like 6-8 years more and that I want to provide for my family without working 2 jobs for the next decade. It would seem that not a lot of people are interested in this kind of deal, yet the competition is super fierce and there are many talented guys going at it, because it's one of those jobs everyone would love to do. I believe it's similar for writers, actors etc
Sure. But that's not the issue here. The role of a publisher is to take the financial risk of publishing. Because a publisher has more capital than a writer, he is able to take that risk. Obviously nothing is free though and in exchange for that financial risk, the publisher gets part of the profit.

If the publisher isn't paying the cost of publishing, he's not really doing anything. So why on Earth would you give him part of the profit?

- - - Updated - - -

Print a few copies and send it around to generate some buzz...then maybe run a kickstarter campaign to raise some funds
@Dostoevsky
@Dostoevsky, you should tell the world you have spent the better part of the last 10 years sodomizing stillborn children, but now you have also written a book in an effort to gain enough money to have stillborn children from all over the world flown to Serbia.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Sure. But that's not the issue here. The role of a publisher is to take the financial risk of publishing. Because a publisher has more capital than a writer, he is able to take that risk. Obviously nothing is free though and in exchange for that financial risk, the publisher gets part of the profit.

If the publisher isn't paying the cost of publishing, he's not really doing anything. So why on Earth would you give him part of the profit?

- - - Updated - - -

@Dostoevsky, you should tell the world you have spent the better part of the last 10 years sodomizing stillborn children, but now you have also written a book in an effort to gain enough money to have stillborn children from all over the world flown to Serbia.
The publisher offers those shitty terms because other writers probably agree to something similar, I don't think every publisher in Serbia have secretely agreed to make fun of Dusan. My guess is it's probably a lot cheaper to put together, print and distribute a book through a publisher not by yourself + you reach a broader audience at first.

What Im trying to say Dusan is that it's not so much Serbia thats fucked as the whole job market when it comes to artist professions, it's the same elsewhere too, too many people willing to do everything for nothing

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The publisher offers those shitty terms because other writers probably agree to something similar, I don't think every publisher in Serbia have secretely agreed to make fun of Dusan. My guess is it's probably a lot cheaper to put together, print and distribute a book through a publisher not by yourself + you reach a broader audience at first
Or... They're just ripping him off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 916)