Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Seems more lenient than the UK. Here you have to do those things just to earn income support. You are also forced to apply for jobs, even if they don't necessarily suit your skills or experience.
Not too different from over here, though probably a little bit more lenient.

You also have to do this kind of stuff to get unemployment benefits, though that's usually more than the "minimum-security" (which is around 800€ a month), but only lasts for a maximum of 78 weeks (that's the exception, normally it's over after 20-50 weeks.)

You can't be forced to do work though, like you described the "voluntary" or council work, though its implementation has been the subject of debate.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

You also have to do this kind of stuff to get unemployment benefits, though that's usually more than the "minimum-security" (which is around 800€ a month), but only lasts for a maximum of 78 weeks (that's the exception, normally it's over after 20-50 weeks.)

You can't be forced to do work though, like you described the "voluntary" or council work, though its implementation has been the subject of debate.
€800 per month minimum, damn. Minimum here is £57 per week (no children, no disabilities, no savings etc). Only if you have kids here can you end up with free accommodation, child support payments, tax relief etc.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
€800 per month minimum, damn. Minimum here is £57 per week (no children, no disabilities, no savings etc). Only if you have kids here can you end up with free accommodation, child support payments, tax relief etc.
Just googled income support, seems to be rather similar, only with a tidbit more duties and less money :D

It's only 800€ if you have to pay rent or something, if you for example still live with your parents you get "only" about 600€. More as a couple and with children. You also get health insurance.

It's a pretty new measure btw, only got implemented one or two years ago, though there were similar policies varying from federal state to federal state already in place earlier.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

System is similar in Belgium as it is I suspect in most European countries. No one will ever be able to force people to do work as that is not only prohibited by art. 4 ECHR, but could also be seen as a form of corporal punishment, which is pretty medieval.

- - - Updated - - -

Just googled income support, seems to be rather similar, only with a tidbit more duties and less money :D

It's only 800€ if you have to pay rent or something, if you for example still live with your parents you get "only" about 600€. More as a couple and with children. You also get health insurance.

It's a pretty new measure btw, only got implemented one or two years ago, though there were similar policies varying from federal state to federal state already in place earlier.

In Belgium it's around 900 €. It's debatable whether you can live on that amount here though.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
System is similar in Belgium as it is I suspect in most European countries. No one will ever be able to force people to do work as that is not only prohibited by art. 4 ECHR, but could also be seen as a form of corporal punishment, which is pretty medieval.
You wouldn't actually be forced though, what I meant is that you'd have to work in order to receive this basic income or unemployment benefits. Poor choice of words by me there.

- - - Updated - - -

It's debatable whether you can live on that amount here though.
Yeah, same here. It can however be seen as a sort of early predecessor of basic income models though, that's why I brought it up. It's not as obscure or absurd a system as it might seem to some.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

I reckon half of young people here wouldn't work if they could get €600 p/m and live at home :D

The UK isn't in line with many of the Euro countries when it comes to % of GDP spent on welfare. Then again I suppose most of those countries aren't spending 2.5% on military.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, same here. It can however be seen as a sort of early predecessor of basic income models though, that's why I brought it up. It's not as obscure or absurd a system as it might seem to some.
It's not. But the difference is that basic income is universal. Which, to me, also means it is fair. Because I honestly don't understand why I am not paid 900 Euros a month on top of my wages, while someone who is not working does receive 900 Euros. There is no way that is fair.

I am also of the opinion however that no one should be left behind. So I do think there needs to be a lot of social security.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
En route to ATX a week prior to SXSW

Is that considered visionary and ahead of the curve?
I did that... but that was for SXSW EDU. They don't want teachers competing with venture capitalists and wild media parties of sex and debauchery ... to keep hotel costs at about half the normal SXSW inflation prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)