[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (8 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
In all seriousness though, is there a way for FIFA to prove that wasn’t a peace dove? Did the players admit that was the Albanian flag? If they didn’t then how the fuck can FIFA prove it wasn’t a dove? It could be a fucking bat for what’s worth. Ridiculous.
Didn't Lichtsteiner acknowledge it.

And FIFA needing any sort of proof to ban them :lol: :lol: That's hilarious

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
In all seriousness though, is there a way for FIFA to prove that wasn’t a peace dove? Did the players admit that was the Albanian flag? If they didn’t then how the fuck can FIFA prove it wasn’t a dove? It could be a fucking bat for what’s worth. Ridiculous.
They did admit it though.
Licht was like "We have many Albanian players, it wasn't easy for them and i understand why they did it"

- - - Updated - - -

fear doesn't seem to have motivated the Iranians to run more.
Germany would be first if it wasn't for Khedira not running an inch throughout the entire game.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Germany would be first if it wasn't for Khedira not running an inch throughout the entire game.
:disagree: Khedira. Why did Germany even bring him?
Damn Licht, shut the fuck up.
These are experienced professionals though not 19 y/o. I'm sure they knew the risks of what they were doing just considered it important enough to take that risk.

Really though I agree with them getting banned. Football is a business. We get entertainment, FIFA and the players get our money. It is not a forum for political statements and you can't just discriminate depending on what you agree with or not.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
In all seriousness though, is there a way for FIFA to prove that wasn’t a peace dove? Did the players admit that was the Albanian flag? If they didn’t then how the $#@! can FIFA prove it wasn’t a dove? It could be a $#@!ing bat for what’s worth. Ridiculous.
This is not a question of proof. Context is a thing which makes that academic.

Whether or not this is really that big a deal is another matter. But there will probably be bans. FIFA recently banned Dele for flipping the middle finger at a team mate, whether that's worse or not depends on your sensitivities, I guess.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
:disagree: Khedira. Why did Germany even bring him?

These are experienced professionals though not 19 y/o. I'm sure they knew the risks of what they were doing just considered it important enough to take that risk.

Really though I agree with them getting banned. Football is a business. We get entertainment, FIFA and the players get our money. It is not a forum for political statements and you can't just discriminate depending on what you agree with or not.
It’s not a political statement. But you’re right, they should just shut up and dribble

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
It’s not a political statement. But you’re right, they should just shut up and dribble
Yes they should shut up and continue playing, that is what they are there for after all. Like Albania is the only country/people with a past they can't get over?

You either tolerate all of it or none of it and none of it is absolutely the better choice. You can't bend over and allow players to use the sport as a vehicle to push their political ideals.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
Shaqiri does not celebrate goals like that against other teams. Wouldn't do that against Costa Rica or Brazil. Cuntish behaviour, but I expected that, so no shock here. And I don't think they will get the ban.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Shaqiri does not celebrate goals like that against other teams. Wouldn't do that against Costa Rica or Brazil. Cuntish behaviour, but I expected that, so no shock here. And I don't think they will get the ban.
If this is true, and we add to that the political turmoil of the Balkans especially the Serbia/Kosovo-conflict and FIFA's clear rules on political statements, then a ban is more than rectified.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If this is true, and we add to that the political turmoil of the Balkans especially the Serbia/Kosovo-conflict and FIFA's clear rules on political statements, then a ban is more than rectified.
I agree, but I do have some sympathy for Shaqiri and Xhaka. Lots of emotions can be involved in such conflicts and football is an inherently emotional game. The president of the Serbian FA referring to Kosovo as an inexistent country deserves far harsher criticism imo, because it served only to add fuel to the fire.

Also, while politics should be kept out of football, they do add to the history of the game. Switzerland-Serbia could have been yet another game, but Xhaka and Shaqiri scoring made it historical for obvious reasons.

Something else: that Colombia team scares the crap out of me. If Belgium would meet them I think we are likely to go out. They are strong where we are weak. I can't for the life of me see Carrasco-Cuadrado end up well for us in particular. Especially when you realise Carrasco is all alone on that side.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I agree, but I do have some sympathy for Shaqiri and Xhaka. Lots of emotions can be involved in such conflicts and football is an inherently emotional game. The president of the Serbian FA referring to Kosovo as an inexistent country deserves far harsher criticism imo, because it served only to add fuel to the fire.

Also, while politics should be kept out of football, they do add to the history of the game. Switzerland-Serbia could have been yet another game, but Xhaka and Shaqiri scoring made it historical for obvious reasons.
It's a slippery slope to accept direct (or obvious indirect) political statements from any part involved in the game, so I'd say the President of the Serbian FA should also have a case opened on his behaviour.

Oh, and had a danish-albanian done what those guy did, I would have been furious. Switzerland will have a very hard tiem advancing if those two are suspended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)