[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (106 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Belgium so far looking like a better team than in 2016
We depend on Hazard for pretty much everything. I think we'll struggle way too much against more highly rated teams.
Brazil is winning this tournament unfortunately. Don’t want that cunt Neymar to win the World Cup, but he is the best international player right now IMO. Spain is the only one who can potentially stop them.
Brazil look unbeatable, especially with a well rested and hungry Neymar.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
European team will win it, they always do on European soil, there have been 10 WCs in Europe and 9 times the Europeans have won them, most of the time both teams in the final where European actually not just the winner.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
European team will win it, they always do on European soil, there have been 10 WCs in Europe and 9 times the Europeans have won them, most of the time both teams in the final where European actually not just the winner.
It's a very difficult World Cup to predict imo. I definitely wouldn't rule out Brazil. Spain look good, but they're not quite what they were between 2008 and 2012. Don't know what to make of Germany and France. They're favorites for obvious reasons, but they could just as well crash out very early. Then there's outsiders like Argentina or Portugal who will be tough to beat, but haven't exactly been very dominant teams over the past two years.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
There's a similar stat for European teams winning on SA soil and Germany won it in the last edition...

I think we're putting too much emphasis on these stats. Germany were the best team in the tournament in Brazil and they deserved to win it. Brazil have the squad to win it, certainly look the best team on paper.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
There's a similar stat for European teams winning on SA soil and Germany won it in the last edition...

I think we're putting too much emphasis on these stats. Germany were the best team in the tournament in Brazil and they deserved to win it. Brazil have the squad to win it, certainly look the best team on paper.
of the 10 world cups not played in Europe, Uruguay won 2, Brazil won 4, Argentina won 2 and only recently Spain and Germany won two in SA and Brazil, 2 out of 10 is not really similar to 9 out of 10.

I think climate plays a very big role and Russia is definitely European when it comes to climate

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
According to the press, belgium beat the absolute world class nation of costa rica with absolutely world class football from world class player hazard playing against costa rica's world class defenders in their world class strict organisation.

What could possibly go wrong ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Anyone see this?

Nike cuts ties with Iran's World Cup team, citing U.S. sanctions

“The sanctions mean that, as a U.S. company, we cannot provide shoes to players in the Iran National team at this time,” Nike said.

President Donald Trump’s recent decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal and restore heavy economic sanctions on the country is having an effect on an arena beyond politics: the 2018 World Cup.

Nike will be providing the shoes for 60 percent of the World Cup players when they take the field on June 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia, and had offered the shoes to Iran's national team in the past, as well. This year will now be an exception.

“The sanctions mean that, as a U.S. company, we cannot provide shoes to players in the Iran national team at this time,” Nike said in a statement on Friday to NBC News.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury, which is responsible for enforcing financial sanctions on Iran, can charge a person who willfully violates the sanctions with criminal penalties of up to $1 million and 20 years in prison, according to the Department's website.

American financial institutions can also be "subject to civil penalties of up to the greater of $250,000 or twice the transaction value," the site says.

Nike’s official statement did not specify what part of the U.S. sanctions supplying shoes would have violated.

This decision by NIke has been met with outrage by the head coach for Iran’s national team, Carlos Queiroz.

"Players get used to their sports equipment, and it's not right to change them a week before such important matches," Queiroz told reporters outside the team’s training session in Moscow on Wednesday. The players usually practice with the same shoes they will use in the official games.

Queiroz also called on FIFA, the international association in charge of the games, to address the matter.

“I haven't gotten clarity on what legal basis [Nike] is using to say this. They should reference what part of the sanctions they are talking about, since technically they're not selling anything," said Trita Parsi, the president of the National Iranian American Council.

The reason Nike won't be providing the shoes is that there is "no general license permitting the transfer of U.S.-origin / owned clothing to Iran," Richard Nephew, a former director for Iran at the National Security Council and a sanctions expert, told NBC News via email.

"We have such licenses for humanitarian goods and shoes usually don't count," Nephew said. The Treasury issues some licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to Iran, but Nephew said that Nike's shoes are likely not covered by these licenses.

He said this has been the United States' policy since approximately 1995 when the embargo was set up under President Bill Clinton.

However, the Iranian team wore the brand’s shoes during the 2014 World Cup. At that time, Iran was under heavy sanctions imposed by the Obama administration before the nuclear deal was signed in 2015.

Since the 1994 World Cup, Nike has also been representing specific players and providing the official game shoes for more than half of the players in the World Cup.

It's unclear how Nike’s decision will also affect one of its sponsored players, Swedish-born Saman Ghoddos, a striker for Iran, and if he will be forced to wear another brand. The Washington Post reported that other sponsorships for individuals and teams will not be affected by the decision, and that teams may still allow players to choose their own brands of shoes to wear in competition.

Adidas, a German brand, has had a partnership with FIFA since 1970, and is contracted to sponsor the World Cup until 2030, according to Reuters. It will be providing the jerseys for the Iranian team. The Trump administration has warned Germany and German businesses not to do business with Iran.

Nike did not respond to NBC News' followup questions on the topic. FIFA and Adidas did not respond to NBC News' requests for comment.

“The type of cultural wars that [Trump] is quite keen on fighting seem to surround the sports world and he has turned the sports world into a political arena,” said Parsi.

Parsi was referring to the president’s battle with NFL players who chose to kneel during the 2017-18 season to protest police brutality against black Americans. Trump has accused the players of being unpatriotic, and this week rescinded his invitation to the Philadelphia Eagles, the 2018 Super Bowl champs, to visit the White House.

Nike’s decision is based on Trump's decision to withdraw from the joint agreement between Iran and the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council — the U.S., China, France, Russia, and the United Kingdom — plus Germany and the European Union.

The official sanctions against Iran are set to kick in less than six months from the president’s decision on May 8 to withdraw from the agreement. Iran’s first World Cup game is against Morocco on June 15.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/nike-cuts-ties-iran-s-world-cup-team-citing-u-n881481

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
According to the press, belgium beat the absolute world class nation of costa rica with absolutely world class football from world class player hazard playing against costa rica's world class defenders in their world class strict organisation.

Hazard is world class. I don't know how you can possibly conclude anything else. He's been killing it in the Premier League for years now and his last three games for Belgium have been absolutely awe-inspiring. That's the level Messi or Neymar are playing at (but they do this far more consistently than Hazard).

That being said, he is pretty much all our team is built on. We have Carrasco on the left playing a very defensive role. If you ask me, he is bound to fail there at some point, simply because he is used to far more attacking roles. Same goes for KDB who is now playing a defensive mid position, in a two man central midfield! That almost has to go horribly wrong at some point. The reason we play this system is that it allows Martinez to field Hazard, Mertens, KDB, Lukaku and Carrasco all at the same time, but I'm not convinced we have to. Especially because we've got an abundance of world class central midfielders like Dembele or Tielemans sitting on the bench. And even if KDB, Mertens and Carrasco are on the pitch, I still see 100% of our attacks go through Hazard. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
I wouldn't mind Uruguay, France or Argentina in the final, but I think Brazil and Spain will fight for the trophy.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

One thing is sure, Belgium will steamroll their group, is not even a contest.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Anyone see this?

Nike cuts ties with Iran's World Cup team, citing U.S. sanctions

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/nike-cuts-ties-iran-s-world-cup-team-citing-u-n881481
Expected nothing more from Corporate America. They could've waited until after World Cup since US companies were given a 3 month grace period but they decided to be assholes just like the fuhrer.

This is the main ESPN report
With little time to react, Iran's players have taken varying steps to make sure they will be equipped to play: Some have asked non-Iranian players on their club teams to loan them boots, according to one team official, while others have had friends acquire them or have simply gone out and bought their own footwear at stores.
Imagine going to World Cup and borrowing boots from somebody else.

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018

And it wasn't their strongest lineup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 106)