[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (56 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2,963
    To a certain degree, yes. We say me chamo but the way it's pronounced is what makes it different even though they're similar words. We have very different accents.
    Definitely. But to a continental Spaniard, they'd be like, "Why are you speaking like a Portuguese?"

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    The World Cup in South Africa stared out very bad and went on to be really entertaining apart from the terrible vuvuzela day in day out.

This World Cup has been awesome so far and I only hope it just gets better.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    Definitely. But to a continental Spaniard, they'd be like, "Why are you speaking like a Portuguese?"
    Hmm maybe European Portuguese. Which in fact sounds way more like Spanish than ours. Our Portuguese changed too much over the decades when Italians, Germans, Japanese, Africans and whatnot started migrating to Brazil. I guess you could say the same about them but they weren't touched by as many cultures as we did, they're mostly of Spanish/Italian descent. Portuguese got a great deal of French influence in it's sound, while Spanish is more mediterranean-oriented.

Even though they say sha instead of lla/ya... I'll give you an example "Asi ya está listo" which would be something like "Assim já está pronto" in Portuguese.

The way the argies say ya will sound a bit like shoot while our Já is more of an open sound. That's what differs our Portuguese from All spanish IMO. It's more of a direct, open sound like Italian.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2,968
    You crazy Brazilians say things like "Hecife" though ... that h for the r thing. ;)

GrecoJuve

May 19, 2014
    Unfortunately, Uruguay is out. England will win Costa Rica and they can take the degree against Uruguay. They are with their back in the wall now, while Italy can pass the stage with easy.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    The World Cup in South Africa stared out very bad and went on to be really entertaining apart from the terrible vuvuzela day in day out.

This World Cup has been awesome so far and I only hope it just gets better.
    :tup: Very true. I think the games are highly entertaining, even if sometimes the quality is lacking. A lot of teams are playing free flow attacking football but I feel that owes more to the fact that most teams, if not all, have very suspect defenses.

I enjoyed the double anal pounding Spain got from Holland. Hup Holland. I now hope the Dutch cruise against the Aussies, and take their foot off the gas against the Chileans, resulting in both Holland and Chile going thru, with Spain going home early. That would be wonderful.

Italy vs England was more entertaining than I thought it'd be. I have to say that Sterling was a joy to watch; he plays with such fearlessness.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Fr3sh How is that Cameroon prediction coming along Bro? :p

The African teams suck. Ivory Coast will make it thru courtesy of a weak group, but they are relying on the old guard. Cameroon look clueless. Nigeria will go thru if they can beat Bosnia, as they are also in a weak group. I see Algeria shocking Russia to qualify, but the best African team, Ghana, won't make it as they have a tough group to contend with :sigh:

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I can't believe we've only seen half the teams, it seems that this World Cup has been going on for like forever. All teams that I have watched so far are going for the win, no cautious approaches or playing waiting games. They are all ready to fuck each other. Maybe it is weak defences as you said, maybe it is because we have lower player profiles that it usually is but this is all contributing to lots of entertainment and I'm fine with that.

We're yet to see Germany, Portugal, France my tournament favourites Argentina. Not to forget interesting teams like USA, Ghana and Bosnia.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    What an amazing match night! I was impressed with both teams tbh and I'm glad Italy took the 3 points.

There are 2 very exciting matches today. France - Honduras, mainly to see how France/Pogba does. But most importantly, Argentina - Bosnia later on, which should be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)