US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (44 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2004
Reduce the amount of guns on the market, reduce the amount of guns in criminal hands. It's that simple and it works in nations that aren't so obsessed with a right to bear arms.
If you take away every citizen's firearms, the criminals still have weapons, and they aren't going to go away. The weapons will be there 100 years from now, they are not going to evaporate.

Buy on AliExpress.com

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
We never had any single kind of weapon at home, not even toys. We were never ever involved with any kind of politics either. I tried a bit during my university life but that was mostly because of popularity in my department and the location of my apartment.
Really? That comes as a surprise. Was your family living in Lebanon during the civil war? Personally, every single person I know has a weapon storage at home, it's a common as having a fridge where I live.

I guess there are some exceptions.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The gun culture is absolutely pathetic in my view, but it's strange that we can cross the border and go into Canada, a nation with essentially the same gun laws as we do, and yet see so much less gun violence per capita.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Really? That comes as a surprise. Was your family living in Lebanon during the civil war? Personally, every single person I know has a weapon storage at home, it's a common as having a fridge where I live.

I guess there are some exceptions.
Yes we were in Lebanon all the time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
ßüякε;1790662 said:
If you take away every citizen's firearms, the criminals still have weapons, and they aren't going to go away. The weapons will be there 100 years from now, they are not going to evaporate.
You make it seem like you have used a weapon to defend yourself against a criminal in the past. Have you?

Again, the nations that have fewer guns have less crime, and that's a fact. Whether we want to believe our ways of living here are wrong, well, that's another story.

But I don't have any invested interest in such weaponry, so I don't see the point in having it to begin with. I think the arguments you have used regarding this issue are rather telling of how we perceive the nation, which is a scary precedent considering other places don't have to worry about this issue.

Apr 12, 2004
You make it seem like you have used a weapon to defend yourself against a criminal in the past. Have you?

Again, the nations that have fewer guns have less crime, and that's a fact. Whether we want to believe our ways of living here are wrong, well, that's another story.

But I don't have any invested interest in such weaponry, so I don't see the point in having it to begin with. I think the arguments you have used regarding this issue are rather telling of how we perceive the nation, which is a scary precedent considering other places don't have to worry about this issue.
I agree that other nations are better off, but I don't think this will solve anything.

And yes, I've capped couple fools in my day.

But I have weapons at disposal, but I'm not killing or hurting anyone.
Is the gun culture big only in the bush or with city people too?
Well, I think it's big all over, depends on which area of the issue you are talking about.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Is the gun culture big only in the bush or with city people too?
Depends. Of course professionals in the city will probably not partake in the gun fun unless they're from the countryside.

Of course our favorite oil folks, such as Boone Pickens, has his office located in the city but goes out to his range to shoot down a few birds periodically.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
ßüякε;1790674 said:
I agree that other nations are better off, but I don't think this will solve anything.

And yes, I've capped couple fools in my day.

But I have weapons at disposal, but I'm not killing or hurting anyone.
True, but you live in a pretty secure setting.

Perhaps in the bigger picture, the culture is more of the problem, but I still think we should follow in the footsteps of other nations that have better records than we do.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
ßüякε;1790637 said:
42% agreement Gun control
67% agreement Environment
100% agreement Iraq
83% agreement Economy
100% agreement Income
25% agreement National security
92% agreement Family
50% agreement Immigration
92% agreement Health care
58% agreement Law and order
92% agreement Education
92% agreement Terrorism
This is good stuff:

I'm a social liberalist which makes sense, along with some outlying factors in non-agreement.

100% agreement Gun control
67% agreement Environment
100% agreement Iraq
50% agreement Economy
67% agreement Income
50% agreement National security
75% agreement Family
83% agreement Immigration
92% agreement Health care
92% agreement Law and order
67% agreement Education
83% agreement Terrorism

Why do some numbers shift by 8% while others by 9%, it doesn't make sense.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
True, but you live in a pretty secure setting.

Perhaps in the bigger picture, the culture is more of the problem, but I still think we should follow in the footsteps of other nations that have better records than we do.
I still think it just comes down to the fact that a lot of people in this country would prefer to accidentally kill 10 of their family members and friends just to have that once chance they could kill a stranger who tries to do them harm.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's a bit more than that. I think it is a privilege to own a gun and not everyone is fit to own a gun. Gun ownership should be regulated pretty harshly, it's not like we're talking about bubble gum here. To call for it's complete elimination is not thinking things through.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I can't say i know the situation in the US as well as you lot for obvious reasons.. but how many stories do you hear of a person who just bought their hand gun at Walmart and decided to go shoot up? Or kids that can grab the gun thats just lying around the house. In Australia, we limit our guns to only hunting weapons (shot guns, rifles etc.) why? Because AK47's tech 9's and hand guns aren't made for hunting, they're literally killing machines intended for other humans. Its really a no brainer, illegalise these killing machines and the guns that are legal MUST be locked up away from your goddamn kids!
The gun culture will still remain the same but you can bet that school shootings and other tragedies would be a whole lot harder for the killers. They can't just stroll around, they need to have a license to bare and buy firearms and the ones they do buy aren't gonna fit conveniently in their pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)