US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How does that work? Local law enforcement not good enough?

' The deployment of an Army combat unit on US territory, with a mission to curb "social unrest" constitutes a dangerous historical precedent. It creates a new legitimacy, namely that combat units can integrate civilian law enforcement functions and that this comes to be accepted both by the US Congress and the American public.

It should also be understood that the combat units repatriated from Iraq to "defend the Homeland" will be replaced by mercenary forces. '

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
NEW YORK -- Does vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin consider herself intellectual? You betcha!

"And you have to be up on not only current events, but you have to understand the foundation of the issues that you're working on," Palin said in an interview with People magazine. "You can't just go on what is presented you."

:shifty:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I've never seen people quoting Nietzche on that, but then again I try to stay away from arguments featuring "those" people.

Which is a paradox because I'm number three in posts on Juventuz.
I dont mean in Juventuz (it has been mentionned here once I think), but online discussions in general, but also high school/Uni discussions. There are enough pretentious posers that are willing to quote that just for the heck of it.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
NEW YORK -- Does vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin consider herself intellectual? You betcha!

"And you have to be up on not only current events, but you have to understand the foundation of the issues that you're working on," Palin said in an interview with People magazine. "You can't just go on what is presented you."

:shifty:
Sarah Palin must be forgetting her renditions before the debates.

I dont mean in Juventuz (it has been mentionned here once I think), but online discussions in general, but also high school/Uni discussions. There are enough pretentious posers that are willing to quote that just for the heck of it.
Well, that's pretty cheap then.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Quick note. Whenever a National League baseball team has won the World Series in an election year, the President elect has been Democratic. When an American League team, the President was Republican.

LET'S GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
So I guess you've heard that ever since McCain put on that blindfold and threw a dart that landed on Palin, the Republicans have spend $150k to dress her up and make her look presentable.

Interestingly, the reform Maverick himself pushed through a campaign finance reform bill in 2002 that makes this shall we say not strictly legal.

SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.
(a) PERMITTED USES-

(b) PROHIBITED USE-

(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.

(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
(B) a clothing purchase;
(C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
(D) a country club membership;
(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
(F) a household food item;
(G) a tuition payment;
(H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
(I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.'

http://www.opednews.com/articles/McCain-Campaign-Violated-M-by-Steven-Leser-081023-770.html

What a bummer.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
So I guess you've heard that ever since McCain put on that blindfold and threw a dart that landed on Palin, the Republicans have spend $150k to dress her up and make her look presentable.

Interestingly, the reform Maverick himself pushed through a campaign finance reform bill in 2002 that makes this shall we say not strictly legal.

SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.
(a) PERMITTED USES-

(b) PROHIBITED USE-

(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.

(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
(B) a clothing purchase;
(C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
(D) a country club membership;
(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
(F) a household food item;
(G) a tuition payment;
(H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
(I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.'

http://www.opednews.com/articles/McCain-Campaign-Violated-M-by-Steven-Leser-081023-770.html

What a bummer.
And liberals are the money grubbing elitists?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Fact check: Would Obama hike taxes on small businesses that employ 16 million?
Posted: 06:12 PM ET

Was Sen. McCain right about Sen. Obama and taxes? Get the facts!

The Statement: Speaking during a campaign stop Monday, Oct. 20 in Belton, Missouri, Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain criticized Democratic opponent Sen. Barack Obama's proposals on taxes. "The Obama tax increase would come at the worst possible time for America, and especially for small businesses like the one Joe dreams of owning," McCain said. "The small businesses Senator Obama would tax provide 16 million jobs in America."

The Facts: McCain's criticism appears primarily aimed at Obama's personal income tax proposals — which he says would give tax cuts or leave taxes the same for individuals who make less than $200,000 or families that earn less than $250,000 — but increase them on people making more. Roughly 85 percent of small businesses are taxed at the owner's personal income tax rate, according to an editorial in the Wall Street Journal. Most of those businesses earn less than $250,000 a year.

The McCain campaign uses figures from a National Federation of Independent Business survey to back up its claim. The survey says 12 percent of business owners who employ between one and nine people earn more than $200,000 a year — as do 27 percent of those who employ 10-19 people and 50 percent of those who employ between 20 and 250 workers. Obama says $200,000 is the lowest income level at which an individual would see a tax increase under his plan.

But in assuming all of those business owners would see an increase, the McCain campaign appears to suppose that all of the business owners making between $200,000 and $250,000 would file their taxes individually, not jointly with a spouse or other family member. And roughly 15 percent of small businesses aren't taxed based on the owner's personal income rate, as the Journal notes. Based on those facts, it's impossible to know exactly how many of those business owners would see a tax hike — but it surely would not be 100 percent.

The McCain campaign uses census figures to estimate how many people work for the businesses it says would be impacted — an effort McCain spokesman Brian Rogers acknowledges is "admittedly a rough estimate." The NFIB says the number of jobs small businesses create is "impossible to calculate," in part because some people only work at small businesses part-time while holding down full time jobs with a bigger employer.

The Verdict: False. McCain uses an overly broad interpretation of the NFIB survey's figures — applying Obama's tax plan to those figures in a way that is highly unlikely to match reality.

--------------------
I've noticed that Senator McCain never really discusses his own tax plan, nor does he discuss any of his other plans. He mainly criticizes Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)