US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I guess you get what I'm saying here. I used to vote in Norway and there wasn't an issue about registration. There was nothing to "register", everyone was already registered. You'd get this form in the mail, show up on this day, these are the hours, I'd go 15 minutes before they close, it took 10 minutes, that's it.

For you guys it's such a huge production, all this bureaucracy, it's a freak show.
You can register over the mail when you turn 18. That's what I did. You would be surprised how many people are too lazy to do even that. So instead of leaving them behind we have this huge fiasco.

RNC pays at least four organizations to register Republicans. Two of them are facing serious fraud allegations. Basically they claim to register all parties, but have either thrown out democratic and independent registrations or tricked other party members into registering Republican.

ACORN on the other hand, isn't paid by either party. They got in trouble for registering Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Obama was a lawyer for a firm that represented them in the 90's. So Obama basically told them to register fictional characters in 2008.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Remember that the U.S. has no national ID cards, most people don't have passports, and there's a lot of resistance to requiring that. Too many people want to be "off the grid" and write their manifestos in their wilderness compounds.
So you're saying the authorities have no idea who's living where? People just living that noone knows about? You don't have birth certificates, school records, phone books, IRS registers? In Europe you just get sent stuff when you reach a certain age, the authorities know about you.

What's a poll tax?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I wish those "get out the vote" minions would disappear from earth, or be placed in a concentration camp. They're partly to blame for the idiotic voting.

If people only vote because someone tells them to, they probably have no idea about the issues. Such voters will probably vote for whatever idiotic thing comes to mind. So no, don't vote. Please don't. Stay at home and pick your nose instead, you morons.

Oh, and I'm all for IQ levels as a prerequisite for voting.
You have a good point. But you have to realize that without the current push in voter registration Obama would have no chance at becoming president.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
...and why the fuck are McCain's ppl highlighting these issues when they have been upto these illegal practices as well?
I am pretty sure they did that to deflect from them being about to be caught with that bull, so they figured we cant do anything against this being found out, so before it gets out, we taint the opposition with that dirt in before hand in.

Prolly thought its a oh so clever strategy, that they wont alone be sullied (it doesnt have to be true, its just covering bases done to "keep" their sheep voters who only need to hear an accusation to run with it).

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's actually pretty bizarre. We don't have a poll tax. So it's like... wtf?
You forget Greg, we did have poll tax up until the 1960s or so. The whole registration thing is basically what we have left over from keeping black people of the voting books. It's kind of like when Mississippi forgot to repeal slavery until like '96.:D

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
So you're saying the authorities have no idea who's living where? People just living that noone knows about? You don't have birth certificates, school records, phone books, IRS registers? In Europe you just get sent stuff when you reach a certain age, the authorities know about you.

What's a poll tax?
We have birth certificates, school and tax records, and even phone books. We just aren't required to carry any of them with us. We aren't even required to carry an ID unless we are driving a vehicle.

A poll tax is a tax paid to vote. It was generally paid at the poll. It was used in our country originally to keep poor people from voting, then it was used to keep blacks from voting.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
About ID cards, mine expired a long time ago, I went to the Police station today to renew it. I gave him the ID so they can know who I am, but they said they cant renew it for me because its..expired :D

Basically even if they can see its me on the pic, they say since its expired, they cant know for sure, and arent allowed to, some bureacratic thing they have to do :D

Have to get someone who knows me go with me and vouch for me. Never renewed my ID before so I didnt know the details, but the logic of bureacratism amused me when he just said "I cant renew it...it has expired" :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not like the Philippines where you can escape your WW II war crime history and hang without anyone knowing. But there are less stringent rules. People have birth certificates when they are born, but not many have them on them/with them (even copies). School records, phone books, etc., are all fine -- but those aren't so much as the identifier as much as what's keyed to a person's identification.

In the U.S., you don't get set anything, really. You have to file for a driver's license (the closest thing to a national ID here). Passports are separate and rare. Social security IDs are used for tax purposes, but they're abused to be other things, they're not even unique, and they're subject to a heavy amount of fraud.

What's a poll tax?
Eazy's got my back there.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
About ID cards, mine expired a long time ago, I went to the Police station today to renew it. I gave him the ID so they can know who I am, but they said they cant renew it for me because its..expired :D

Basically even if they can see its me on the pic, they say since its expired, they cant know for sure, and arent allowed to, some bureacratic thing they have to do :D

Have to get someone who knows me go with me and vouch for me. Never renewed my ID before so I didnt know the details, but the logic of bureacratism amused me when he just said "I cant renew it...it has expired" :D
are you a Swedish citizen?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Well see, there's a very fragile piece of logic to this. If you go to renew a day before it expires then they say "welcome, mr. Osman, yes I can see that it's you based on the ID card, here is a new one". But if you go one day late, then they just can't extend you the same service, "well I'm sorry, but how do we know you are mr. Osman? you come here with an expired ID card, in fact it expired 5 minutes ago. how are we to know?"

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
We have birth certificates, school and tax records, and even phone books. We just aren't required to carry any of them with us. We aren't even required to carry an ID unless we are driving a vehicle.
What does carrying them around 24/7 have to do with voting? You just bring whatever ID is good enough (passport, bank card, credit card, whatever), they check that it's the same name that they have on their records, and you vote. I mean it's not like a war zone where you could find yourself in enemy territory at any time and therefore you need your papers on you.

A poll tax is a tax paid to vote. It was generally paid at the poll. It was used in our country originally to keep poor people from voting, then it was used to keep blacks from voting.
god almighty

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's not like the Philippines where you can escape your WW II war crime history and hang without anyone knowing. But there are less stringent rules. People have birth certificates when they are born, but not many have them on them/with them (even copies). School records, phone books, etc., are all fine -- but those aren't so much as the identifier as much as what's keyed to a person's identification.

In the U.S., you don't get set anything, really. You have to file for a driver's license (the closest thing to a national ID here). Passports are separate and rare. Social security IDs are used for tax purposes, but they're abused to be other things, they're not even unique, and they're subject to a heavy amount of fraud.
Sounds like you need someone to frickin get organized. I'd knock that out in a day, I used to run a forum you know :p

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
What does carrying them around 24/7 have to do with voting? You just bring whatever ID is good enough (passport, bank card, credit card, whatever), they check that it's the same name that they have on their records, and you vote. I mean it's not like a war zone where you could find yourself in enemy territory at any time and therefore you need your papers on you.
You have a point. One would think that you could just bring any ID that shows you are a citizen and you vote. But this is America and ever since D-Day we've insisted on doing things the hard way. So we have separate IDs for everything we do, driving, voting, living, dying, marriage, etc. We are a strange country.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You have a point. One would think that you could just bring any ID that shows you are a citizen and you vote. But this is America and ever since D-Day we've insisted on doing things the hard way. So we have separate IDs for everything we do, driving, voting, living, dying, marriage, etc. We are a strange country.
I find the idea of a birth certificate amusing. If you don't have a driver's license, you can't drive. But if you don't have a birth certificate, what's the worst that can happen? The very fact that you exist is irrefutable evidence so you don't need paper to prove it... :D

I've never actually seen one.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I find the idea of a birth certificate amusing. If you don't have a driver's license, you can't drive. But if you don't have a birth certificate, what's the worst that can happen? The very fact that you exist is irrefutable evidence so you don't need paper to prove it... :D

I've never actually seen one.
If the birth certificate amuses you, wait til you find out about the death certificate.

Oh wait.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)