US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (40 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
E, explain to me how the hell do you hire partisan people to oversee voting? It's like getting the wolf to babysit the sheep.
You don't. Not if you are paid by one of the parties. But there are actual groups out there that have no affiliation to either party and do a great job registering voters. Power Vote is a group that comes to mind. They are active in WV.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You don't. Not if you are paid by one of the parties. But there are actual groups out there that have no affiliation to either party and do a great job registering voters. Power Vote is a group that comes to mind. They are active in WV.
What the heck does "registering voters" mean?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
...and why the fuck are McCain's ppl highlighting these issues when they have been upto these illegal practices as well?
That's my biggest problem. Why would you attack Obama over ACORN? (might I add that it turns out the "scandal" was blown completely out of proportion) And then go hire some group that is obviously shady and being investigated since 2004?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
In America, we put voting in the same category as owning a firearm.
I guess you get what I'm saying here. I used to vote in Norway and there wasn't an issue about registration. There was nothing to "register", everyone was already registered. You'd get this form in the mail, show up on this day, these are the hours, I'd go 15 minutes before they close, it took 10 minutes, that's it.

For you guys it's such a huge production, all this bureaucracy, it's a freak show.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
What the heck does "registering voters" mean?
In order to vote in the US you have to be registered. You fill out a bunch of information and you get your card that allows you to vote on election day.

As you can imagine it is a huge task, that the government doesn't have people nor the cash to do. So non-profits go out and register voters and give the info to the government and the cards to the people.

Apr 12, 2004
I guess you get what I'm saying here. I used to vote in Norway and there wasn't an issue about registration. There was nothing to "register", everyone was already registered. You'd get this form in the mail, show up on this day, there are the hours, I'd 15 minutes before they close, it took 10 minutes, that's it.

For you guys it's such a huge production, all this bureaucracy, it's a freak show.
Well, I don't, didn't, and haven't ever had a problem. When I registered and when I vote, it is not unlike what you just described.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I wish those "get out the vote" minions would disappear from earth, or be placed in a concentration camp. They're partly to blame for the idiotic voting.

If people only vote because someone tells them to, they probably have no idea about the issues. Such voters will probably vote for whatever idiotic thing comes to mind. So no, don't vote. Please don't. Stay at home and pick your nose instead, you morons.

Oh, and I'm all for IQ levels as a prerequisite for voting.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I guess you get what I'm saying here. I used to vote in Norway and there wasn't an issue about registration. There was nothing to "register", everyone was already registered. You'd get this form in the mail, show up on this day, these are the hours, I'd go 15 minutes before they close, it took 10 minutes, that's it.

It's actually pretty bizarre. We don't have a poll tax. So it's like... wtf?

The conspiracy theorist would have you believe it's a screening process to deliberately keep minorities and people who want to keep a low-profile from voting. But given the lax identification enforcement they have even today -- it's really just to reserve your vote in the system and have "someone" show up in your name.

Remember that the U.S. has no national ID cards, most people don't have passports, and there's a lot of resistance to requiring that. Too many people want to be "off the grid" and write their manifestos in their wilderness compounds.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I wish those "get out the vote" minions would disappear from earth, or be placed in a concentration camp. They're partly to blame for the idiotic voting.

If people only vote because someone tells them to, they probably have no idea about the issues. Such voters will probably vote for whatever idiotic thing comes to mind. So no, don't vote. Please don't. Stay at home and pick your nose instead, you morons.

Oh, and I'm all for IQ levels as a prerequisite for voting.
One political theory has it that liberal parties do better when you "get out the vote", because more people at the edges of society are included. So one strategy for conservatives in the past has been to run negative campaigns... not just to slander an opponent, but even to turn away voters of either party from the process and keep the numbers down (which theoretically is supposed to be to their advantage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)