US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (55 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
let's see what Vinman has to say about this one...will probably do a Palin and say "it's all about job creation"
Its not fun being his brain right now (when is? hehe), processing this all. First he calls Obama commie, then McCain begs funding from ruski commies, fucking priceless hehehe. He has also kept saying Obama being supported by terrorists, with loose and low arguments like 'Ayers!" being repeated ad infinitum (like Ayers isnt now a respected individual whom politians of both partners now associate with) like stupid persistency will eventually makes sense. But now to make it ever more hilarious...the real fucking worst terrorists in the world saying bluntly they support McCain...its just WOW :D

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Its not fun being his brain right now (when is? hehe), processing this all. First he calls Obama commie, then McCain begs funding from ruski commies, priceless. He has kept calling Obama being supported by terrorists, with loose and low arguments like 'Ayers!" being repeated ad infinitum like stupid persistency will eventually makes sense. But now to make it ever more hilarious...the real fucking worst terrorists in the world saying bluntly they support McCain, doesnt exactly make it easier for him :D
it's the FOX News crowd...I'm not surprised at all tbh

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The interesting thing about this country is they talk about how we have freedom of choice. If it's an important thing, limited choice. Two political parties. Big media companies, 5 or 6. Oil companies, down to 3 now. Banks, the big banks, the big brokerage houses, the big accounting firms. All of the things that are important reduced in choice. Newspapers in the city, how many? Used to be 3-4, now it's 1 or 2 owned by the same people, and they also own the radio station and the tv station. But jelly beans? 32 flavors. Ice cream, all the things that don't matter. The unimportant things, a lot of choices.
- George Carlin

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
In some ways, he was as much a quirky unpretentious philosopher as much as a funny ass comedic genius (His God monologue is as thoughtful as it it amusing).

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
From Times Online

October 22, 2008

McCain campaign paid Republican operative accused of voter fraud

Hannah Strange

John McCain paid $175,000 of campaign money to a Republican operative accused of massive voter registration fraud in several states, it has emerged.

As the McCain camp attempts to tie Barack Obama to claims of registration irregularities by the activist group ACORN, campaign finance records detailing the payment to the firm of Nathan Sproul, investigated several times for fraud, threatens to derail that argument.

The documents show that a joint committee of the McCain-Palin campaign, the Republican National Committee and the California Republican Party, made the payment to Lincoln Strategy, of which Mr Sproul is the managing partner, for the purposes of “voter registration”.

Mr Sproul has been investigated on numerous occasions for preventing Democrats from voting, destroying registration forms and leading efforts to get Ralph Nader on ballots to leach the Democratic vote.

In October last year, the House Judiciary Committee wrote to the Attorney General requesting answers regarding a number of allegations against Mr Sproul’s firm, then known as Sproul and Associates. It referred to evidence that ahead of the 2004 national elections, the firm trained staff only to register Republican voters and destroyed any other registration cards, citing affidavits from former staff members and investigations by television news programmes.

One former worker testified that “fooling people was key to the job” and that “canvassers were told to act as if they were non-partisan, to hide that they were working for the RNC, especially if approached by the media,” according to the committee’s letter. It also cited reports from public libraries across the country that the firm had asked to set up voter registration tables claiming it was working on behalf of the non-partisan group America Votes, though in fact no such link existed.

Such activities "clearly suppress votes and violate the law”, wrote John Conyers, the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. The letter suggested that the Judiciary Department had failed to take sufficient action on the allegations because of the politicisation of the department under the then-attorney general, John Ashcroft.

The career of Mr Sproul, a former leader of the Arizona Republican Party, is littered with accusations of foul play. In Minnesota in 2004, his firm was accused of sacking workers who submitted Democratic registration forms, while other canvassers were allegedly paid bonuses for registering Bush voters. There were similar charges in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Oregon and Nevada.

That year, Mr Sproul’s firm was paid $8,359,161 by the Republican Party, according to a 2005 article in the Baltimore Chronicle, which claimed that this was far more than what had been reported to the Federal Elections Commission.

Mr McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin have been linking allegations of registration fraud by ACORN, the community group, to the Obama campaign.

ACORN has been accused of registering non-existent voters during its nationwide drive, with reports of cartoon characters such as Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse being signed up.

The organisation insisted that these are isolated incidents carried out by a handful of workers who have since been dismissed.

However, the Republican nominee insists that the group is involved in fraudulent activities, noting that Mr Obama, before leaving the legal profession to enter politics, was once part of a team which defended the organisation. At last week’s debate, he said that ACORN was “perpetrating one of the greatest frauds in voter history”, a claim which the Obama campaign says represents political smear.

The revelation of Mr Sproul’s involvement with the McCain campaign – he has also donated $30,000 to the ticket and received at least another $37,000 directly from the RNC – could undermine his case.

"It should certainly take away from McCain's argument," Bob Grossfeld, an Arizona political consultant who has watched Mr Sproul's career closely, told the Huffington Post. "Without knowing anything of what is going on with ACORN, there is a clear history with Mr Sproul either going over the line or sure as hell kicking dirt on it, and doing it for profit and usually fairly substantive profit."

In May this year, both ACORN and Mr Sproul were discussed at a hearing of the House subcommittee on commercial and administrative law. One Republican member, Congressman Chris Cannon, concluded: "The difference between ACORN and Sproul is that ACORN doesn't throw away or change registration documents after they have been filled out."

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
In some ways, he was as much a quirky unpretentious philosopher as much as a funny ass comedic genius (His God monologue is as thoughtful as it it amusing).
George Carlin comes off as one of the smartest people I've ever heard. There were a few times I listened to some of his old records (as mp3s :D) recently, and I thought, "This guy was brilliant." Not just "comedic brilliant". But brilliant in having a serious IQ.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
George Carlin comes off as one of the smartest people I've ever heard. There were a few times I listened to some of his old records (as mp3s :D) recently, and I thought, "This guy was brilliant." Not just "comedic brilliant". But brilliant in having a serious IQ.
I think he has a great sensibility but I just don't like half his material. It doesn't make me laugh, it's crude, it's gross, it's not what I think about and it's not what I think in terms of. I would gladly say that to him, I wonder what he'd say to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)