US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (38 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I've had it with all of them !!

Bush, and everyone else who thinks that the bailout is a good idea....I think its a fatal step in the wrong direction, and the taxpayers will never see that money again, rather, I can see another such situation materializing within the next 5 years....then what ??

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've had it with all of them !!

Bush, and everyone else who thinks that the bailout is a good idea....I think its a fatal step in the wrong direction, and the taxpayers will never see that money again, rather, I can see another such situation materializing within the next 5 years....then what ??
No doubt. I don't think anyone likes the idea of rewarding Wall Street for messing up. This will no doubt lead to a tax increase. Which will be an additional strain on the middle class.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The problem is, though, Wall Street essentially holds the key to the financial security of the general population. They are the people who control the markets. Pension funds, mutual funds, insurance, et cetera, they are crucial to the stability of about 50% of possible retirees who depend on this income in the future. Not to mention everybody who has purchased insurance to cover risks. Throwing in regulation, taxing, increasing debts, et cetera, the middle class really has no power in judging the outcome... unless Obama can construct a miracle.

So I really believe we are all connected in this debacle, but of course the upside is skewed to Wall Street.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, wouldn't it have been great if Bush and McCain privatized our social security system -- as they lobbied so hard for -- so the system could have invested in all those finance stocks?

Why is the media so lazy as to not follow up on that story...

Indeed. I do like Obama's plan to have Wall Street eventually pay back taxpayers. Which I think they should.
If the public funds failure, that's bull%$@# unless it can also profit from successful risk. Having that go one way is plain wrong.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Well, wouldn't it have been great if Bush and McCain privatized our social security system -- as they lobbied so hard for -- so the system could have invested in all those finance stocks?

Why is the media so lazy as to not follow up on that story...

If the public funds failure, that's bull%$@# unless it can also profit from successful risk. Having that go one way is plain wrong.
To answer your first question... because the media is sooooo liberal.

To respond to your second statement. This is really a sad time. It's almost a lose-lose situation. If they do the bail out, taxes will go up and more pressure will be put on the middle class. If it fails that's so much cash down the drain. If they do nothing, people stand to lose a lot. I guess they call this a Catch-22?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)