US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (33 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
ßöмßäяðîëя;1637092 said:
Word, I understand.

...ohh, and about that first, second, third, fourth, etc. chance....

HEY! I'm a pretty good example. I still think I hold the ban record on here.
It's really not about warnings or incidents or posting history at all, it's about power. If someone is behaving in a way that sends a clear signal to you that they're not going to play by the rules then you have little choice. As a moderator you have to make it clear that you're willing to give them enough leeway to express themselves and get the attention they crave, but that there is a line they aren't going to cross. Other members might see this as defiance or successful anarchy (if you're being liberal), but the member and the moderator both know exactly what's going on, there's no misunderstanding.

The one thing a moderator needs most is common sense and a certain understanding of how trolls and trouble makers think. When you don't have that and you fall back on a rulebook then the moderating decisions become as meaningful as discussions about offside, nothing makes sense.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It makes me sad actually that it's always about power. Someone always has to win, someone has to lose. But if you can get a troll to play within your rules while still able to make it look like they're succeeding in public then that can be enough of a face saver for them to behave. And as a moderator you achieve your goal, order is preserved, noone needs to be banned.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Martin is right! I am not saying this because I have been through this (I even publicly criticized the mod team before I got banned), but most of the warnings here are meaningless and most of them are personal. I feel some of the mods get orgasm when they do warn members or ban them, imo no one should be banned in this forum, only the ones who spam or annoy the majority and troll without taking the warnings seriously. There should be someone who is watching the moderators, and that someone shouldn't sit there forever, should change when these things happen again.

I agree with Martin that what he said or what I did won't change anything, like usual, no one will give a crap, and everything will stay as it is.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Martin is right! I am not saying this because I have been through this (I even publicly criticized the mod team before I got banned), but most of the warnings here are meaningless and most of them are personal. I feel some of the mods get orgasm when they do warn members or ban them, imo no one should be banned in this forum, only the ones who spam or annoy the majority and troll without taking the warnings seriously. There should be someone who is watching the moderators, and that someone shouldn't sit there forever, should change when these things happen again.

I agree with Martin that what he said or what I did won't change anything, like usual, no one will give a crap, and everything will stay as it is.
That is exactly why I haven't issued a warning in ages.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
ßöмßäяðîëя;1637140 said:
We should have a mod election then. I've said that for years.
No, that's the very worst thing that can happen. If you think people are incompetent now you should see what you get when the whole thing becomes a stupid popularity contest.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
That is exactly why I haven't issued a warning in ages.
And that's good, because I can't recall anyone really deserved to get banned recently, everything is cool, a few insults traffic here and there won't harm much, no one likes that, but this things happen everywhere.

No, that's the very worst thing that can happen. If you think people are incompetent now you should see what you get when the whole thing becomes a stupid popularity contest.
yeah polls doesn't work, but the only way to make this work is to eliminate a mod when any of them abuse the "power", and appoint another one.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
yeah polls doesn't work, but the only way to make this work is to eliminate a mod when any of them abuse the "power", and appoint another one.
There are two problems with this. First, you need someone to oversee the whole thing, pay attention to what's happening, and be competent enough to make the right decisions. Moderators have to be "managed" too in a sense, they need a little feedback on what they're doing, especially in the beginning.

Second and more difficult, there isn't a lot of people who would be suitable to replace them. In my time it was a struggle to replace the mods that were quitting, there's a lot of people out there but not many with the right attitude.

Moderating done right is basically a thankless job, because you don't get anything out of it personally, all you get is satisfaction that the community is working well, which isn't the egotistical type of satisfaction that most people want. If you love community it will make you happy, if you just care about your own affairs it won't do anything for you.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
There are two problems with this. First, you need someone to oversee the whole thing, pay attention to what's happening, and be competent enough to make the right decisions. Moderators have to be "managed" too in a sense, they need a little feedback on what they're doing, especially in the beginning.

Second and more difficult, there isn't a lot of people who would be suitable to replace them. In my time it was a struggle to replace the mods that were quitting, there's a lot of people out there but not many with the right attitude.

Moderating done right is basically a thankless job, because you don't get anything out of it personally, all you get is satisfaction that the community is working well, which isn't the egotistical type of satisfaction that most people want. If you love community it will make you happy, if you just care about your own affairs it won't do anything for you.
and that's why a member should take this job, not to show his powers, but to make/keep this place good to post for. I know there are much out there for the job, but who knows Martin, maybe we think the members can't make it, could fit it more than the rest. Changing them frequently until the right ones appointed shouldn't be a big deal.

Martin, I can assign you a manager in a second, are you willing to moderate us?
That's a very good idea, and not just that, I think he should be the "leader" moderator, he did the job perfectly the past years, I don't think anyone else was unsatisfied of his decisions.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I wasn't even doing a good job the last couple of years, I clearly did it for too long. I stopped caring. That's the most important thing and I lost that a long time ago. You need people who care and who know how to deal with people. Greg and Boz are both good at this, but you need some structure. Need to teach the others what they're supposed to be doing and how to handle difficult situations. You have enough skills amongst yourselves to figure it out.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
That's a very good idea, and not just that, I think he should be the "leader" moderator, he did the job perfectly the past years, I don't think anyone else was unsatisfied of his decisions.
Well it is up to him to accept it. I don't mind that at all, actually I'd welcome it with open arms.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I wasn't even doing a good job the last couple of years, I clearly did it for too long. I stopped caring. That's the most important thing and I lost that a long time ago. You need people who care and who know how to deal with people. Greg and Boz are both good at this, but you need some structure. Need to teach the others what they're supposed to be doing and how to handle difficult situations. You have enough skills amongst yourselves to figure it out.
Every company, no matter how successful, get to hire external consultants for strategic management. These strategic management consultants get paid a fat paycheck and are seen by many as just blabbering bastards. I, for one, don't agree with that and I think these people really know what they are doing and what ideas they impose.

We are not a rich company but we are approaching you, as a consultant, to take the role and guide us for a period of time.

Apr 12, 2004

A system of checks and balances.
I'll do it....

Add me as one.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Martin, accept it and let this drama end :D
You will not spend much energy like you did in past, you will just post regularly, and interfere at times like these, when somethings is being abused.

Well it is up to him to accept it. I don't mind that at all, actually I'd welcome it with open arms.
I know man :pint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)