US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (4 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Maybe they shouldn't have been enslaved for centuries and then segregated for decades, and then racially profiled for the remainder. You reap what you sew.

please dude...save the speech for someone else

you have to go back how many years for the slavery card ??

they have MORE opportunity than anyone else to do something with themselves (affirmative action, special grants for college, etc)

nice to see that if they score a 70 on a police test, but I score a 90, they get picked before me because of the color of their skin (it happened to me twice, before I finally got my opportunity)

now tell me who's discriminated against ??

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
a few people, huh ??

take a ride through Detroit, or any major city for that matter, through their rough neighborhoods, and tell me that the majority of thugs hanging around the street corners arent capable of working

they get more money from welfare than they would from working at Mc Donalds.....this system rewards them for doing nothing
Vinni, I've been through different neighborhoods in Detroit plenty of times. And your argument isn't really working out for two reasons:

1) In case you didn't know, Detroit's economy is probably the worst out of all the largest 50 cities in the United States. They have the highest foreclosure rate in the nation and are just behind Washington DC in children living below the poverty line. Many of those people "standing on the corner" are unable to find work because of the poor economy in Michigan, which is mostly because of the languishing American automobile industry, a situation made worse by Mr. Bush who has done nothing to protect American jobs. You don't understand how bad it is up there. Jobs are dwindling and turning into a scarce commodity. Sure, there are obviously some crackheads in Detroit. But there are also good people who can't find work because there is no work near where they live. Should these fathers and mothers suffer because of some crackheads are reaping the social benefits? How about their KIDS, Vinni?

2) It is morally wrong to punish good people for the acts of criminals. I mean come on, man. Have a little compassion here. Not every "loud-mouthed black man standing on the corner" is a crack dealer.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

they have MORE opportunity than anyone else to do something with themselves (affirmative action, special grants for college, etc)

nice to see that if they score a 70 on a police test, but I score a 90, they get picked before me because of the color of their skin (it happened to me twice, before I finally got my opportunity)

It's a complex issue. Some of which I actually agree with in sentiment. But civil service isn't purely a meritocracy.

If the police doesn't reflect the socio-economic/racial/religious/ethnic make-up of a city, that police force is going to be ineffective as it can be quickly branded as an occupational force by its residents.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Nowadays there should not be any extra points given for race. That's just unfair to not only white people but also Mexicans who probably don't receive the same points as an African American for the same sort of job. It's just sad that we are still living in a time where race is such a big issue, but as Tahir said, you do indeed reap what you sew.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
2) It is morally wrong to punish good people for the acts of criminals. I mean come on, man. Have a little compassion here. Not every "loud-mouthed black man standing on the corner" is a crack dealer.

congratulations man you just dropped vin-mans arrest rate by 50%

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What do you think is better, a country to claim that they have discrimination towards foreigners or a country that don't claim that yet the institutions, companies etc in it do discriminate?

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
hey the thing with america i ahte is the "invisible" class system, at least in britain us working stiffs know we are gonna be fucked over for that blue-blooded posh bastard who gets his dick caught in his zip coz his daddy is a advocate,lord,etc.... instead of dreaming we are all....equal:oops:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
hey the thing with america i ahte is the "invisible" class system, at least in britain us working stiffs know we are gonna be fucked over for that blue-blooded posh bastard who gets his dick caught in his zip coz his daddy is a advocate,lord,etc.... instead of dreaming we are all....equal:oops:
Oh the class system isn't invisible here. It's just not flaunted as openly.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

i see your point but a tour in a chicago public school should explain that. Whether we agree like or can do something about it there exist segregation in all levels of social service towards blacks and other minorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)