US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (4 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
That's all good. But one should try to find out a little about things like health care, taxes, wars. You know stuff that affects you.
I feel that, but taxes can be quartered more to the state than the national government in most cases. Health care is going to be an ongoing national beatdown on this country that neither you nor I can have any effect on. Especially when strategems such as "utilitization review" exist and medicare fees keep incrementing I don’t think anyone will know where to get started on health care reform.

But in terms of taxes, its more of a good balance here in texas cuz the cost of living is amazing (that’s why I chose to live and work here after college). But when I do file I can honestly say that I am getting screwed over cuz of where I live and how I rake (just like everyone else). Not complaining on sales tax front either cuz I know that cali/ny are up there in more ways than one but 8.25% down here is rough at times.

So its more about situation than perception, everyone is getting screwed over equally no matter where you live IMO. Some people just choose to take the time to voice their opinion on how they don’t like it :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
you wanna bet on that ??

Taking care of these "people", and their children, and their childrens children adds up over generations.....why work when you can receive free money, foodstamps, and healthcare (yes...medicaid is FREE), while suckers like myself work 40+ hours per week to help take care of them ???
In all fairness, even though this sounds highly conservative and not very sexy, Vinman raises a good point. I consider it to be a lesser problem in the states though, because the welfare state isn't as much evolved as it is in Belgium. In any case, Vinman's question is very important and so far I haven't seen a lot of good answers to it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
vinnie, you know you can't generalize like that. my family needed welfare while my father was in school so he could get himself a job
I don't think he's generalising. He's simply talking about people who receive money for doing absolutely nothing and have no intention of doing anything. If your father was looking for a job, he doesn't fall into this category.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I don't think he's generalising. He's simply talking about people who receive money for doing absolutely nothing and have no intention of doing anything. If your father was looking for a job, he doesn't fall into this category.
thanks Andries :pint:

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Hillary Clinton, the lead Presidential Democratic Party candidate, is for banning all guns in America. She is considered by those who have dealt with her, as a little more than just a little self-righteous.

At a recent rural elementary school meeting in north Florida, she asked the audience for total quiet. Then, in the silence, she started to slowly clap her hands, once every few seconds, holding the audience in total silence.

Then she said into the microphone, 'Every time I clap my hands, a child in America dies from gun violence.'

A young voice, with a proud southern accent, pierced the quiet??. Well, stop clappin, stupid!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Hillary Clinton, the lead Presidential Democratic Party candidate, is for banning all guns in America. She is considered by those who have dealt with her, as a little more than just a little self-righteous.

At a recent rural elementary school meeting in north Florida, she asked the audience for total quiet. Then, in the silence, she started to slowly clap her hands, once every few seconds, holding the audience in total silence.

Then she said into the microphone, 'Every time I clap my hands, a child in America dies from gun violence.'

A young voice, with a proud southern accent, pierced the quiet??. Well, stop clappin, stupid!
:wth:

Are you serious?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
In all fairness, even though this sounds highly conservative and not very sexy, Vinman raises a good point. I consider it to be a lesser problem in the states though, because the welfare state isn't as much evolved as it is in Belgium. In any case, Vinman's question is very important and so far I haven't seen a lot of good answers to it.
For all the money we have spent in Iraq, a "war" Vinman voted for, we could have helped so many of our own people in our own country it's not even funny.

Sure, maybe money shouldn't be given to people who do nothing for themselves, but I'd rather have the money going to some bum who may or may not be able to make a living for himself rather than murdering innocent people in another country.

Whaddaya think, Vinni?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Andy, it's funny you should say that. I was gonna post the same thing today.

Vinny, I'm sure you find it maddening that your tax dollars are being spent on people who are on welfare. But I think if you knew exactly how much of those dollars are spent on the "war on terror", "the war on drugs", the utterly broken health care system and much other government waste, you'd be 10 times as mad as you are now.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001

:lol: @ both

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's just so ridiculous to reject the notion of spending more money for something such as healthcare while we are spending billions of dollars for no reason while killing people that may or may not be hostile. Nobody can defend this crap unless they're living in Bush's hapless psyche. I'm mean, are we actually trying to reduce the population, or something?

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
For all the money we have spent in Iraq, a "war" Vinman voted for, we could have helped so many of our own people in our own country it's not even funny.

Sure, maybe money shouldn't be given to people who do nothing for themselves, but I'd rather have the money going to some bum who may or may not be able to make a living for himself rather than murdering innocent people in another country.

Whaddaya think, Vinni?
a war I voted for ?

when were those ballots issued, Andy ?? I cant seem to remember voting "yes" to the war with Iraq

We took out a threat to our country and all of the ppl in Iraq.....its a shame that no one could forsee that Al-Queda and Iran would make things all the more difficult as time wore on...maybe Iran is next :eyebrows: :p

The bottom line is that we are still spending way too much money on ppl in this country who contribute nothing, and that money far exceeds the money spent on the war

Martin said:
Vinny, I'm sure you find it maddening that your tax dollars are being spent on people who are on welfare. But I think if you knew exactly how much of those dollars are spent on the "war on terror", "the war on drugs", the utterly broken health care system and much other government waste, you'd be 10 times as mad as you are now.
War on terror- money that has to be spent

War on drugs- money that needs to be spent (also partly how I'm paid)

so in your book, we should just let drugs and terror run wild here....better check your head, I think your brain is missing

and about that "utterly broken health care system"...do you live in the USA, or did you watch Michael Moore's movie, and now your an expert ??

We have the BEST doctors, and I wouldnt go anywhere else in the world to have any procedures done

where do Canadians go when they want top health care ?? the come to the USA, even though they allegedly get it for free (they also paid over 40% in taxes, so it isnt free)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The bottom line is that we are still spending way too much money on ppl in this country who contribute nothing, and that money far exceeds the money spent on the war
I truly wonder about the accuracy of this statement. how do you figure?

War on terror- money that has to be spent
has to be spent? so you still think you're getting bang for the buck? well, each to his own.

War on drugs- money that needs to be spent (also partly how I'm paid)

so in your book, we should just let drugs and terror run wild here....better check your head, I think your brain is missing
well you are doing a fine job of putting people in prison no doubt (not you personally, I mean the system as a whole). again, biggest prison population on the planet, I know america likes to be #1 but I wonder if this is a prize to covet.

btw did you ever consider the fact that for every person in prison you're paying more money to support people "who contribute nothing"? I mean prison is basically a way to live off working people, the only way to avoid that would be to just execute them.

and about that "utterly broken health care system"...do you live in the USA, or did you watch Michael Moore's movie, and now your an expert ??

We have the BEST doctors, and I wouldnt go anywhere else in the world to have any procedures done
notice I didn't make this up, everyone is saying it. common knowledge. every now and then we see statistics that show you're spending twice as much on health care than just about every other western country and yet lots of people are uninsured, insurance doesn't cover lots of stuff etc.

where do Canadians go when they want top health care ?? the come to the USA, even though they allegedly get it for free (they also paid over 40% in taxes, so it isnt free)
he who has most money gets top service, there's no disputing that. where do you go when you want to be pampered? to the most expensive department store, they'll make sure you dont lift a finger. frankly these queues for operations are a problem and norwegians also travel abroad to get surgery without waiting in line in certain cases. but at least our health insurance (that you guys pay good money for) covers this.

boy, for someone so critical about a soccer club, you sure seem oddly satisfied with how things are going over there.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
you wanna bet on that ??

Taking care of these "people", and their children, and their childrens children adds up over generations.....why work when you can receive free money, foodstamps, and healthcare (yes...medicaid is FREE), while suckers like myself work 40+ hours per week to help take care of them ???
Well it went to an attempt to take care of my grandmother by the state of New York. Which failed, and could not have been paid for but welfare. Both of my grand mothers died on welfare in New York state. I dare you to say something.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Whaddaya think, Vinni?

These are valid points, but all of this doesn't mean that there is in fact a true problem with people who have no intention to work and simply receive money. The thing is, Andy, we already decided America's war on terror and the war in Iraq are utter bullshit. It's an entirely different discussion.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

The US have great doctors, but they are only there for the top layer of society. Perhaps you are able to pay them, but I'm sure a lot of people aren't. And by the way, there are many Italian football players who go to Antwerp for their operation and recovery afterwards. And Italy itself ranks very high when it comes to cardiology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)