US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (90 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andries, among all your "beliefs," you must admit that those that follow religion who don't impose their beliefs on anybody else and don't hurt anybody else are acceptable people and there is nothing wrong with them believing what they believe. And don't say that those of religion are the only people in this world who judge... what have you been doing in this thread and for the past number of years? Judging that religious people are idiots and unnacceptable.
Creationists do hurt others and do impose their beliefs. I'm not saying that religious people are the only ones who judge. I'm saying that their verdicts are based on religion more than mine. It is really easy. Fundamentally a christians says "I am good because I follow God's rules and this guy over here is bad because he doesn't".

The true problem with religion is that it implies you have to judge. In most cases it's about forming a group. And what is a group if not shutting out others? It's fundamental group dynamics.

As for me judging: well, I find an extremely catholic person quite ridiculous. I find a catholic person who doesn't agree with the pope a moron (this one is you, Andy). I find a muslim who wants the install the sharia a danger. If people want to be religious and follow certain rules, so be it, but don't oblige me to do the same.

But all of this, Andy, isn't the original discussion. What it really was about in this thread, was whether or not creations is tolerable. And I say it isn't. It must be wiped clean from the face of the earth.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Creationists do hurt others and do impose their beliefs. I'm not saying that religious people are the only ones who judge. I'm saying that their verdicts are based on religion more than mine.

The true problem with religion is that it implies you have to judge. In most cases it's about forming a group. And what is a group if not shutting out others? It's fundamental group dynamics.
But anybody can join most religions, so your argument doesn't make any sense. I could start practicing Islam and you can start bowing towards Mecca anyday of the week.

And it's stated in the Bible that only God is the judge, so at least in Christianity you don't judge others unless you're a Reverend cutting down homosexuals, or something.

I support Evolutionism because I'm a science guy, by the way.

As for me judging: well, I find an extremely catholic person quite ridiculous. I find a catholic person who doesn't agree with the pope a moron (this one is you, Andy). I find a muslim who wants the install the sharia a danger. If people want to be religious and follow certain rules, so be it, but don't oblige me to do the same.
Maybe so, but I don't think I'm hurting anybody. I was Baptized a long time ago... what am I going to do, un-Baptize myself? Sprinkle a little bit of the Devil's blood on my head?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
But anybody can join most religions, so your argument doesn't make any sense. I could start practicing Islam and you can start bowing towards Mecca anyday of the week.

And it's stated in the Bible that only God is the judge, so at least in Christianity you don't judge others unless you're a Reverend cutting down homosexuals, or something.
Are you KIDDING me? That has to be officially the least respected rule ever by Christians. :D

Maybe so, but I don't think I'm hurting anybody. I was Baptized a long time ago... what am I going to do, un-Baptize myself? Sprinkle a little bit of the Devil's blood on my head?
Now you're just being silly. That little bit of water has long since evaporated and you are not more bound to anything by it than I'm bound to my desk with my imaginary handcuffs.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Now you're just being silly. That little bit of water has long since evaporated and you are not more bound to anything by it than I'm bound to my desk with my imaginary handcuffs.
Fact is, Martin, I don't know what I believe in. I don't agree with the Pope, so what?

This stuff is funny. Agnostics and Athiests trying to persuade people to step away from their beliefs while saying religion needlessly judges people and forces their beliefs on others. Hmm.

Gotta dink bout dat one furra second!

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Fact is, Martin, I don't know what I believe in. I don't agree with the Pope, so what?

This stuff is funny. Agnostics and Athiests trying to persuade people to step away from their beliefs while saying religion needlessly judges people and forces their beliefs on others. Hmm.

Dink about dis fuckhead. How many Atheists have their own TV channels? Now go fuck yourself dumb reader.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I support Evolutionism because I'm a science guy, by the way.

Oh, I see, you're not really christian. You approve of homosexuals? Ow.. that's not very christian of you, is it now? The choice is simple, Andy. Either you're a christian and you don't tolerate homosexuality or you're not christian and you think of it whatever the hell you want.

I don't care what bullshit you come up with next, most religions (and christianity in particular) have a well defined set of rules. Christians decided a long time ago that sodomy was not a-okay, thus judging sodomites. Now before you start writing some angry answer to this post: if you're christian, you believe God himself punishes sodomites.

So if we're being strict, and we are as you seem to say that baptism is almighty, you either despise and judge homosexuals or you're not christian. The choice is yours.

Oh, and don't try to convince me with your catholicism à la carte. That's just nonsense and we both know it. Unlike in Islam there are religious leaders in christianity who have written and still write the law down. Either you abide those rules or you don't. But keep in mind that if you don't, you can't call yourself christian.

Then you're not Catholic and you said you were. You can still be protestant, ortodox or anglican though.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh, I see, you're not really catholic. You approve of homosexuals? Ow.. that's not very christian of you, is it now? The choice is simple, Andy. Either you're a christian and you don't tolerate homosexuality or you're not christian and you think of it whatever the hell you want.

I don't care what bullshit you come up with next, most religions (and christianity in particular) have a well defined set of rules. Christians decided a long time ago that sodomy was not a-okay, thus judging sodomites. Now before you start writing some angry answer to this post: if you're christian, you believe God himself punishes sodomites.

So if we're being strict, and we are as you seem to say that baptism is almighty, you either despise and judge homosexuals or you're not christian. The choice is yours.
You will have to excuse Andy, he's not familiar with the word abomination.
Actually Seven you're taking things a little far. Not every Christian sect is so krazy. If you read the bible you realize that the messages of the New Testament which is followed by most Christians today (I don't include Catholics in there) really isn't that hardcore. The Bible is hardly well defined as it contains four different books attempting to tell the same story. And its written in a language that isn't used today. There lies the problem, there is no exact version. Its totally up to the interpreter and in this case a lot of guys have gotten it wrong. Which is why we have guys who think the bible tells them to touch snakes.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You will have to excuse Andy, he's not familiar with the word abomination.
Actually Seven you're taking things a little far. Not every Christian sect is so krazy. If you read the bible you realize that the messages of the New Testament which is followed by most Christians today (I don't include Catholics in there) really isn't that hardcore. The Bible is hardly well defined as it contains four different books attempting to tell the same story. And its written in a language that isn't used today. There lies the problem, there is no exact version. Its totally up to the interpreter and in this case a lot of guys have gotten it wrong. Which is why we have guys who think the bible tells them to touch snakes.
Of course I'm overreacting. I know that most christians do not take the New Testament literally. But the problem with homosexuals is a very clear one. Sodomy is a sin in whichever version of the Bible you read. Any true christian will hate homosexuals. The two don't mix. There's no such thing as a homosexual christian. Or there shouldn't be. Obviously there are pederast priests.

I picked this problem because it makes it quite clear that religions do in fact, always, judge. In a more abstract way, I'd say that a religious man condemns others who do not follow the rules of his religion. A muslim might say it's okay for me to eat a pig, but in the meanwhile he thinks he's right and I'm wrong.

Andy can however still be a devout Andyist.

EDIT: just for the record, if Andy's a catholic that also means he believes in the catholic tradition. In which sodomy really is frowned upon.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Of course I'm overreacting. I know that most christians do not take the New Testament literally. But the problem with homosexuals is a very clear one. Sodomy is a sin in whichever version of the Bible you read. Any true christian will hate homosexuals. The two don't mix. There's no such thing as a homosexual christian. Or there shouldn't be. Obviously there are pederast priests.

I picked this problem because it makes it quite clear that religions do in fact, always, judge. In a more abstract way, I'd say that a religious man condemns others who do not follow the rules of his religion. A muslim might say it's okay for me to eat a pig, but in the meanwhile he thinks he's right and I'm wrong.

Andy can however still be a devout Andyist.
Well isn't the whole purpose of religion to go before someone and be judged. I understand your question with the homosexual question. There are always exceptions, one of my old roommates is a minister and he has no problem with the gay lifestyle. Of course he is kind of liberal in his church. As for your muslim analogy. Well duh!!! We judge each other everyday, regardless of religion or no religion. If a guy walks into a room and you've never met him you automatically begin the science of sizing up and you come to a conclusion before you've even met him. If you want to discuss religion keep discussing religion if you want to discuss the arrogance of man then give a shout when you change the topic.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well isn't the whole purpose of religion to go before someone and be judged. I understand your question with the homosexual question. There are always exceptions, one of my old roommates is a minister and he has no problem with the gay lifestyle. Of course he is kind of liberal in his church. As for your muslim analogy. Well duh!!! We judge each other everyday, regardless of religion or no religion. If a guy walks into a room and you've never met him you automatically begin the science of sizing up and you come to a conclusion before you've even met him. If you want to discuss religion keep discussing religion if you want to discuss the arrogance of man then give a shout when you change the topic.
The problem with religion, although that really isn't what I was discussing in the beginning (creationism still being dangerous and idiotic btw), is that people judge on a massive basis and based on rules that are impersonal. If I judge someone, I judge him upon my rules. This kind of mass behaviour can obviously prove to be dangerous, but is mostly just suffocating. We dissed fascism.

I don't think you can be a catholic priest in Belgium and a known gay by the way. I also think that if that particular church you are talking about does not condemn gay people, it must have problems fitting into a christian hierarchy. It kind of surprises me, because as it's an American church they are most probably protestant. And protestants are usually more hardcore than catholics.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The problem with religion, although that really isn't what I was discussing in the beginning (creationism still being dangerous and idiotic btw), is that people judge on a massive basis and based on rules that are impersonal. If I judge someone, I judge him upon my rules. This kind of mass behaviour can obviously prove to be dangerous, but is mostly just suffocating. We dissed fascism.

I don't think you can be a catholic priest in Belgium and a known gay by the way. I also think that if that particular church you are talking about does not condemn gay people, it must have problems fitting into a christian hierarchy. It kind of surprises me, because as it's an American church they are most probably protestant. And protestants are usually more hardcore than catholics.
Mass judgement is indeed dangerous in any form, be it religion or nationalism. I don't think anyone will argue with you there. But just realize as there are bad parts in religion there are a few places where people aren't crazy.

As for my buddy, he's a Methodist and I think they do condemn gays but not the extent of other religions such as Nazerene, Baptists, and Choose Your Own Hater Fundamentalist. Believe it or not Episcapalian (spelling is shit) church allows gays (as priests too) as do Unitarians. But everyone else is haters.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh, I see, you're not really christian. You approve of homosexuals? Ow.. that's not very christian of you, is it now? The choice is simple, Andy. Either you're a christian and you don't tolerate homosexuality or you're not christian and you think of it whatever the hell you want.

Oh, and don't try to convince me with your catholicism à la carte. That's just nonsense and we both know it. Unlike in Islam there are religious leaders in christianity who have written and still write the law down. Either you abide those rules or you don't. But keep in mind that if you don't, you can't call yourself christian.

Then you're not Catholic and you said you were. You can still be protestant, ortodox or anglican though.
Andries, you can provide me with whatever rhetoric you want. I already stated I don't know what I believe in. Take that as you want. But you are a fucking retard to sit there and judge people on their beliefs yet castigate religions for supposedly judging people on their beliefs. Don't be a fool and use an argument that implicates yourself to the same act.

I can say I'm a Catholic, I can say I'm a Muslim, I can say I'm a Protestant, I can say I'm a Jainist, I can say I'm Andries Gobert, I can say I'm legally retard and have proof with paper, I can say I love men while loving women, I can say I'm a Weatherist, I can say I'm Darth Vader, I can say I'm Hullabullatimbuktua Dingnam Buttfuck Blowjob Bingbowbingbowbingbowbingbow Loius Al Rakeem Faggotttttttttmanislowvock Drinkting Junglepow Nutsuck Fartsickle, I can say the sky is usually red unless it's cloudy and the sky is brown with a pinch of purple, I can say whatever I want. Much like you think you're the new God, judging people on whatever you want, or doing exactly what you hate religion for. Judging people. But I'm not judging people... I'm judging myself.

Tahir and I have stated you're an anti-religion Extremist. We are indeed correct. You are no different than those retards from each religion who like killing people just because they don't agree with you.

Fact is, Hector, you are a religious extremist in your own right, castigating good people who practice religion. Religion is a belief, a faith, in some facet of life. Your religion is apparently striking down people of religion. And this is coming from someone who doesn't know what to believe in and acknowledges you have points, but cannot understand why you're such an asshole when it comes to the beliefs of people whom you don't even know. Next thing we know we'll have a discussion on which race is "more true."

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Funny how so many people support creationism but know nothing about enzymes, genes, DNA, and the like. Some Creationists need to take a look at their "Bible," a Biology or Microbiology book.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Obama's mindless muttering of the week....

"if you make between 75 and 100 thousand dollars per year you aren't a part of the middle class, and will be taxed accordingly"

so who's the middle class, those who work at Burger King and make 25k per year ??

nice to see that I'm rubbing elbows with those rich bastards making 6 figures per year...where's my country club membership ??

next week, I'll post more of his mutterings regarding illegals, and English as our primary language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 90)