UK Politics (5 Viewers)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
That would still put us in "below average" territory at the least I'm afraid.
Both are smarter than most people think IMO.

Boris and the Donald are of the Berlusconi school of calculated buffoonery.

1. Figure out what issues facing the country receive both (a) the most attention and (b) the most anger
2. Say something inflammatory to rile up the opponents of the people who froth (a) and (b) out of their mouths
3. Get loads of attention
4. Repeat until you get elected to the highest office of the land where you can continue fucking things up to your hearts content without having to answer to anyone.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Both are smarter than most people think IMO.

Boris and the Donald are of the Berlusconi school of calculated buffoonery.

1. Figure out what issues facing the country receive both (a) the most attention and (b) the most anger
2. Say something inflammatory to rile up the opponents of the people who froth (a) and (b) out of their mouths
3. Get loads of attention
4. Repeat until you get elected to the highest office of the land where you can continue fucking things up to your hearts content without having to answer to anyone.
I can't speak for Boris as I've had no exposure to him really. Trump on the other hand, I really believe that people give him too much credit with theories like this. I know his type, I've dealt with them all my life. They're not calculating every move they make and the repercussions of them, they simply are dumb and obnoxious. That age group in this country is notorious for being like that. They grew up during times of strong economic growth and could support themselves / a family with ease at some menial job while the wife stayed home, so they never had to challenge themselves or "try" and as a result haven't grown as people. Now for Trump, he was just born rich and made even more money buying property in New York City. And lets be real, any moron could've done that:

He's just an old man with an old mentality, and maybe just losing it at this point for all we know.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I can't speak for Boris as I've had no exposure to him really. Trump on the other hand, I really believe that people give him too much credit with theories like this. I know his type, I've dealt with them all my life. They're not calculating every move they make and the repercussions of them, they simply are dumb and obnoxious. That age group in this country is notorious for being like that. They grew up during times of strong economic growth and could support themselves / a family with ease at some menial job while the wife stayed home, so they never had to challenge themselves or "try" and as a result haven't grown as people. Now for Trump, he was just born rich and made even more money buying property in New York City. And lets be real, any moron could've done that:

new_york.png

He's just an old man with an old mentality, and maybe just losing it at this point for all we know.
Hard to argue with that tbh. So maybe you're right about Trump. I mean, yes, he is a moron but I believe he has some "political intelligence", otherwise he wouldn't be president.

- - - Updated - - -

@JuveJay thoughts on Boris Johnson?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Hard to argue with that tbh. So maybe you're right about Trump. I mean, yes, he is a moron but I believe he has some "political intelligence", otherwise he wouldn't be president.

- - - Updated - - -

@JuveJay thoughts on Boris Johnson?
I think he definitely knows how to manipulate a base and capitalize on anger for sure. I also think going against a very hated Hillary Clinton helped him as well, and even then he still lost the popular vote. In the end your theory could be right too, but it's just so difficult for me to really believe.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Do you guys still get taught Latin at school? Plebs here certainly don't any more, it's only the private schools who do it.
Depends to which type of school you go yes, but even if you don't have Latin at school, the meaning of quo vadis should be common knowledge and so should be several other commonly used latin phrases.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We get to choose between Latin and French as third language and obviuosly, fuck the french. What do britbongs learn at school, how to go for a cheeky Nando's?
French or German. My school had French. Spanish pops up now presumably for travel reasons, sometimes Mandarin for business.

I knew maybe 10 Latin phrases by the time I left school, the rest only learned through business or reading. Working class people use very few of them, only the assimilated words. You come across as a bit of a tosser if you use them, actually. Which is about right for Tusk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)