UK Politics (13 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Lol. I wish it's real:
[video=twitter;746120205814857728]https://twitter.com/Pipsk1/status/746120205814857728[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

I think people above a certain age shouldn't be allowed to vote. They are not invested much in big decisions and don't have to live for a long time with it consequences.

Democracy. Dangerous.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Especially when they don't even know what EU is.
Those who orchestrated this of course had much bigger motivations than immigrants but to sell their agenda, there was no better way than to frame it as an immigrant issue. I can totally see Trump winning it here and the comedy will be complete.
Direct democracy almost never works
true :tup: this post might be too long, and it may be information that some find pretty general knowledge but just in case some members here haven't known this its worth trying to explain.

democracy can not work when you have the levels of inequality we have today. this is not inequality that is limited to the UK only, but its inequality that involves the entire world. inequality is what ensures a democracy never works, ( democracy by definition means "rule of the people" when you translate it from its greek origin) and it is exactly what Karl Marx refers to as the class struggle. the class struggle is the age old conflict between the ruling business class ( merchants, traders, land owners, massive corporations, banks, and multinationals who are simply too big to fail or collapse) and the working class or workers if you will ( farmers, slaves, the working class). what democracy does is it gives power to the average joe, which makes him capable of changing policy which does not always mean good news for the ruling class who have differing interests, and hence why the ruling class or what we call today as the under 1% simply dislike democracy because quite simply it moves the power from their hands to the hands of the general population. lets not forget that politicians need money to run for office and to run for elections and hence the ruling class pretty much are in the driver seat for the simple reason that wealth brings power and vice versa, this means the politicians in return will ensure the interests of what Adam Smith calls the master class are maintained, enhanced, and protected. consider for instance what Aristotle ( the name of his book is: politics) had to stay on democracy, according to him democracy is actually the best political system however its main flaw is that it enables the poor to gang up on the wealthy taking away much of their power and subsequently their riches. to counter this pickle he predicted democracy would face as a result of inequality he suggested creating what is known as the welfare state in an attempt to reduce inequality which in return would reduce the corrosive power it had over democracy.
James Madison on the other hand reached the same conclusion as Aristotle however he proposed a different solution. Madison believed that power had to be in the hands of the wealthy and or the ruling class as they were the most responsible. this in practical terms was enforced via the senate which was home to the rich minority and hence maintained their power despite giving the poor the vote ( NOTE at the time the senate was not elected but was appointed), which just like the welfare idea was meant to ensure that the masses would not gang up on the minority who had the riches and there fore the majority can not rob the minority of its wealth. as a result of this set up democracy does not entirely mean power to the people.

Now to put this into the brexit context, and here its strictly my point of view and is therefor not to be considered as a fact. with the referendum i feel the people just replaced one ruling elite with another ruling elite ( i,e out with Brussels in with the ruling elite in london) . the big elephant in the room which is the economical hardships the people felt were not the result of immigrants but in fact the result of the neo-liberal economical policies that were applied back during thatchers time. however you can't really scapegoat that, so the immigrant reason was in part the scapegoat used to make sure the blame was not set on those who benefited the most from the neo-liberal economical views. the out vote does not mean that the average british citizen who feels he has been robbed of his job thanks to the immigrants will get his or her job as a result. NOTE: i am in no way or form implying that the citizens who voted out purely based their choice on their hate for immigrants not at all, i am fully aware people have had issues with how the EU goes around handling issues thanks in part to their bureaucratic system among other reasons.

the same principle in my opinion applies to the whole fiasco taking place in the US presidential elections, the level of inequality has led to the scapegoating of other factors that in reality don't play any role in the state things have reached too with regards to the growing gap between the rich and the poor. throw in things like fear, which truly works as evident by the rise of trump and you pretty much get a clear picture of how these tactics work, it goes with out saying once in power chances are trump won't fulfill any of the over the top rhetoric's he pledges in his rallies.

there are factors off course that are used to ensure the masses are herded towards a specific point of view, things like education ( an uneducated population is much easier to mold) couple that with the power of mass media and you pretty much have total control over the masses who will be ready to accept the scapegoat presented to them when in reality the issue at hand has very different reasons behind it.

if some one is interested in more details you can start off with these then find your way around to more sources:

aristole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle
james madison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Madison
karl marx: the class struggle
and finally i recommend watching : the requiem for the american dream. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3270538/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I think people above a certain age shouldn't be allowed to vote. They are not invested much in big decisions and don't have to live for a long time with it consequences.
What nonsense, if the opposite happened in the voting you would be saying the young shouldn't vote "no life experience" etc

- - - Updated - - -

Will skim through the last couple of pages in a minute but before I do I want to address the 'People at Uni are mostly voting remain, dem dere genius students are intelligenterer' argument gripping the country right now.

As somebody in my early 20s who has delayed going to Uni until next Year because I wanted to get a bit of experience and money for the first time i'll say now that argument is not a great one.

Yes some of the plebs with 2 GCSEs and no teeth who hate foreigners attached themselves to the 'leave' campaign and they're idiots. But at the same time I know this supposedly well educated age group.

Your average young student on the standard path here in the UK

Gets mandatory schooling until 16. Leaves 3 months later to go to college/6th form

Does that for approx 2 years then fucks off to Uni 3 months later.

They are NOT people you generally want to be looking at for sage advice in an unprecedented World changing decision. Most of them haven't had a single real job by this time in their lives and they LOVE the EU benefits. Why wouldn't they? A lot of them want to study abroad, a lot of them want to take their degree and live abroad particularly in places such as Germany with financial service type degrees. A lot of people in that age group I know and also don't really know well but here cited some great reasons to stay in the EU such as

"We NEED to vote remain, not because I think it will make this country better, but because it's easier for me to LEAVE it"

"What about the cheap holidays abroad?"

"EU is great, I want to study via the Erasmus programme, this might not happen in the future"

Very self serving, sometimes idiotic decision making process by youngsters here. A majority of which have never seen any real EU issues because they're not in the real World.

I'm not doing this to generalise, and will say that plenty of well educated students who have taken the time to research and particularly ones who argue in favour of EU due to the economic uncertainty have great points. But this whole weird idea that half of the country is now saying the University students here clearly know what's best is equally as bad as believing old unemployed baz from Stoke who thinks foreigners are coming here to steal his wife, kids and 10 hour a week dish washing job.

If I want to ask an 18 year old with no job experience, doing a creative arts degree at a low tier Uni a question, it'll be about going to Greece on the cheap with the lads and getting fucking hammered for £5. There's a LOT of students like that. Because I actually know them and see them at University.
:tup:

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
The eurocrats and the elite time and time again fall short of understanding the negative effects of globalization and the lower to middle class peeps' fear of loosing their jobs, not seeing a brighter future for their kids and so on.

But hey let's patronize 'normal peeps' and call them stupid and keep sitting on our asses while tax havens (Juncker :lol:) floorish, schengen de facto broken, a labour market that creates uncertainty and short term contracts (precariat), a ignorant stubborness that keeps us from solving the refugee crisis and so fucken on.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Refugee crisis has nothing to do with schengen, eu is broken but it's a fait accompli just like globalization so either get used to it or get crushed.
This is reminiscent of renaissance europe, and the ugly expressions of resistance to change which took place. Then it was religion, now it's an outdated sense of nationality, that shit obsolete homie.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
The eurocrats and the elite time and time again fall short of understanding the negative effects of globalization and the lower to middle class peeps' fear of loosing their jobs, not seeing a brighter future for their kids and so on.

But hey let's patronize 'normal peeps' and call them stupid and keep sitting on our asses while tax havens (Juncker :lol:) floorish, schengen de facto broken, a labour market that creates uncertainty and short term contracts (precariat), a ignorant stubborness that keeps us from solving the refugee crisis and so fucken on.
And people wonder why a moron like Trump is gonna be the next president.

Jul 1, 2010
true :tup: this post might be too long, and it may be information that some find pretty general knowledge but just in case some members here haven't known this its worth trying to explain.

democracy can not work when you have the levels of inequality we have today. this is not inequality that is limited to the UK only, but its inequality that involves the entire world. inequality is what ensures a democracy never works, ( democracy by definition means "rule of the people" when you translate it from its greek origin) and it is exactly what Karl Marx refers to as the class struggle. the class struggle is the age old conflict between the ruling business class ( merchants, traders, land owners, massive corporations, banks, and multinationals who are simply too big to fail or collapse) and the working class or workers if you will ( farmers, slaves, the working class). what democracy does is it gives power to the average joe, which makes him capable of changing policy which does not always mean good news for the ruling class who have differing interests, and hence why the ruling class or what we call today as the under 1% simply dislike democracy because quite simply it moves the power from their hands to the hands of the general population. lets not forget that politicians need money to run for office and to run for elections and hence the ruling class pretty much are in the driver seat for the simple reason that wealth brings power and vice versa, this means the politicians in return will ensure the interests of what Adam Smith calls the master class are maintained, enhanced, and protected. consider for instance what Aristotle ( the name of his book is: politics) had to stay on democracy, according to him democracy is actually the best political system however its main flaw is that it enables the poor to gang up on the wealthy taking away much of their power and subsequently their riches. to counter this pickle he predicted democracy would face as a result of inequality he suggested creating what is known as the welfare state in an attempt to reduce inequality which in return would reduce the corrosive power it had over democracy.
James Madison on the other hand reached the same conclusion as Aristotle however he proposed a different solution. Madison believed that power had to be in the hands of the wealthy and or the ruling class as they were the most responsible. this in practical terms was enforced via the senate which was home to the rich minority and hence maintained their power despite giving the poor the vote ( NOTE at the time the senate was not elected but was appointed), which just like the welfare idea was meant to ensure that the masses would not gang up on the minority who had the riches and there fore the majority can not rob the minority of its wealth. as a result of this set up democracy does not entirely mean power to the people.

Now to put this into the brexit context, and here its strictly my point of view and is therefor not to be considered as a fact. with the referendum i feel the people just replaced one ruling elite with another ruling elite ( i,e out with Brussels in with the ruling elite in london) . the big elephant in the room which is the economical hardships the people felt were not the result of immigrants but in fact the result of the neo-liberal economical policies that were applied back during thatchers time. however you can't really scapegoat that, so the immigrant reason was in part the scapegoat used to make sure the blame was not set on those who benefited the most from the neo-liberal economical views. the out vote does not mean that the average british citizen who feels he has been robbed of his job thanks to the immigrants will get his or her job as a result. NOTE: i am in no way or form implying that the citizens who voted out purely based their choice on their hate for immigrants not at all, i am fully aware people have had issues with how the EU goes around handling issues thanks in part to their bureaucratic system among other reasons.

the same principle in my opinion applies to the whole fiasco taking place in the US presidential elections, the level of inequality has led to the scapegoating of other factors that in reality don't play any role in the state things have reached too with regards to the growing gap between the rich and the poor. throw in things like fear, which truly works as evident by the rise of trump and you pretty much get a clear picture of how these tactics work, it goes with out saying once in power chances are trump won't fulfill any of the over the top rhetoric's he pledges in his rallies.

there are factors off course that are used to ensure the masses are herded towards a specific point of view, things like education ( an uneducated population is much easier to mold) couple that with the power of mass media and you pretty much have total control over the masses who will be ready to accept the scapegoat presented to them when in reality the issue at hand has very different reasons behind it.

if some one is interested in more details you can start off with these then find your way around to more sources:

aristole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle
james madison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Madison
karl marx: the class struggle
and finally i recommend watching : the requiem for the american dream. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3270538/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Great post.

Bolded part is from Chomsky (contrasting Aristotle and Madison) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)