UK Politics (7 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
a good thing for the uk that scotland stayed in the union. more liekly to see a labour government. fuck the tories and ukip. bunch of xenophobes
You know who supports the torries and UKIP? Your god, Jeremy 'cunt' Clarkson.

- - - Updated - - -

Overstatement, but Labour has been kinda fucked up since Blair.
Given that Blair fundamentally changed the Labour movement as 'New Labour' the argument would be more that New Labour has failed as a concept - the drive for centre ground has disillusioned voters. Ed Miliband is a creep, Nick Clegg is unelectable, and David Cameron has little control because he has no majority and can't control his cabinet. The only viable party that will give any form of progression to the UK is the Greens. I never thought i'd be saying that! The greens want to build a better future, UKIP want to dredge up a horrible past.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Now I don't know enough about the inner detailed workings of UK politics to really make a sound call on this one, but from what I've heard the Greens seem to be a rather sensible party not unlike or version of them here in Austria (all criticisms nonwithstanding, and I've never voted for them actually), but why do you think them so ridiculous?

Or are you against all parties in general, or against the current system of representative democracy through political parties?

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Now I don't know enough about the inner detailed workings of UK politics to really make a sound call on this one, but from what I've heard the Greens seem to be a rather sensible party not unlike or version of them here in Austria (all criticisms nonwithstanding, and I've never voted for them actually), but why do you think them so ridiculous?

Or are you against all parties in general, or against the current system of representative democracy through political parties?
This will point you in the right direction: https://www.facebook.com/thegreenparty?fref=ts

They are the centre left party here, they've gained a lot of votes from the centralising of labour policy. Same as UKIP are gaining from the bigots and racists in the Conservatives.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
This will point you in the right direction: https://www.facebook.com/thegreenparty?fref=ts

They are the centre left party here, they've gained a lot of votes from the centralising of labour policy. Same as UKIP are gaining from the bigots and racists in the Conservatives.
If I could vote, I'd seriously consider them as an alternative to Labour and the now irrelevant Lib Dems.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

I'm actually skimming through their website right now :D

....which is of course no place to get any objective information from, but their manifesto kinda does give an idea of their political ideas, which seem to be pretty much the same as our green party, with perhaps a little bit more focus on the environmental side compared to the economic and social one. Especially immigration is much more important over here, but I guess that's just a general feature of our political discussions.

Still doesn't tell anything about the integrity or competence of the leading figures of the party, as well as all the other aspects of importance when "evaluating" a party, but I'm expecting that to be virtually impossible without following UK politics more closely over an extended period of time anyways.

Also, are they really only polling at 7%? Thought they had like 12 or so...

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
If I could vote, I'd seriously consider them as an alternative to Labour and the now irrelevant Lib Dems.
Are you this side of the pond? Or are you just not allowed to vote anywhere?

I'm actually skimming through their website right now :D

....which is of course no place to get any objective information from, but their manifesto kinda does give an idea of their political ideas, which seem to be pretty much the same as our green party, with perhaps a little bit more focus on the environmental side compared to the economic and social one. Especially immigration is much more important over here, but I guess that's just a general feature of our political discussions.

Still doesn't tell anything about the integrity or competence of the leading figures of the party, as well as all the other aspects of importance when "evaluating" a party, but I'm expecting that to be virtually impossible without following UK politics more closely over an extended period of time anyways.

Also, are they really only polling at 7%? Thought they had like 12 or so...
Caroline Lucas was the leader but handed over when she was elected to parliament to allow a younger politician to take leadership. In Parliament she has been very active and she is a very competent speaker/lobbyer. When there is an issue she makes sure the green party's voice is heard. They are keen on challening and reforming the establishment, something rare over here!

Also, the scum in UKIP were polling very low previously but out of nowhere won the European and Local elections.

Jul 1, 2010
Trequartista is against everything these days :D
:lol:

No I just understand that none of the mainstream parties care about the people, they're just an agglomeration of self-interested and self-serving career politicians who care more about interest groups than about the mandates they are supposedly given. Look at the British political class, they're basically all Oxbridge graduates from rich families.

All these parties essentially agree on the main points (de-industrialization, destruction of borders, mass immigration) and their only sources of disagreements are trivial issues like gay marriage and affirmation action. They constitute the extreme center, encompassing both center-left and center-right, and they are essentially identical.

As for the Green Party, it may have some interesting ideas but its insistence on absolutely worthless wind turbines make them particularly ludicrous.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
:lol:

No I just understand that none of the mainstream parties care about the people, they're just a agglomeration of self-interested and self-serving career politicians who care more about interest groups than about the mandates they are supposedly given. Look at the British political class, they're basically all Oxbridge graduates from rich families.

All these parties essentially agree on the main points (de-industrialization, destruction of borders, mass immigration) and their only sources of disagreements are trivial issues like gay marriage and affirmation action. They constitute the extreme center, encompassing both center-left and center-right, and they are essentially identical.

As for the Green Party, it may have some interesting ideas but its insistence on absolutely worthless wind turbines make them particularly ludicrous.
oh right, the green energy scam. i forgot

Jul 1, 2010
oh right, the green energy scam. i forgot
If they were serious they'd be in favor of nuclear energy, which is infinitely more reliable and efficient than wind or solar and it's relatively clean (excluding nuclear waste).

However, they seem to be just another group of ignorant and delusional champagne leftists who are a nuisance to the actual worker's left, which barely exists anymore.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If they were serious they'd be in favor of nuclear energy, which is infinitely more reliable and efficient than wind or solar and it's relatively clean (excluding nuclear waste).

However, they seem to be just another group of ignorant and delusional champagne leftists who are a nuisance to the actual left, which barely exists anymore.
would you buy a house next to a nuclear power station?

who is the actual left?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)