UK Politics (4 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Alaska, Hawaii, maybe New York as they would still house the major exchanges. California will be destroyed no matter what they do.
Forgot about Alaska. :tup:

Hawaii only has agriculture to export, they don't really have much of anything else to drive an economy, some of the worst education system there as well as a welfare spending problem I think. They would burn quickly and a tourist industry wouldn't get them very far. They would be nothing more than a Caribbean island.

New York might make it if Wall Street stayed and they'd have that to sorta drive commerce, etc. Don't think the extreme liberal policies will get them far *cough*detroit*cough*.

But yet, Alaska and Texas for the win.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #505
    Was it more "yes" or "no" in Aberdeen?
    Aberdeen (and shire) were both 60-40 in favour of 'no'.

'Yes' was never going to win here because there are too many people with money who would have felt they had no reason to take the risk of voting 'yes'.

If the 'yes' vote was to win, overall in the country, they would have been looking for a narrow loss around here.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #507
    Evidence of election fraud.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tions-Glasgow-Scotland-people-votes-cast.html

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess they were putting yes ballots in the no stack. Is that how they run things over there, Red?
    Nah, the fraud allegations just seem to relate to individual voters trying to impersonate other people in order to vore more than once.

Well within the standard realms of dishonesty that I expect from Glaswegians, but nothing that is going to have a big effect on the outcome over the country at large.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    a good thing for the uk that scotland stayed in the union. more liekly to see a labour government. fuck the tories and ukip. bunch of xenophobes

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #513
    a good thing for the uk that scotland stayed in the union. more liekly to see a labour government.
    Only twice since WWII has Scotland been decisive in the election of a Labour government.

fuck the tories and ukip. bunch of xenophobes
    Indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

So this was all just a waste of time.
    No because it is forcing some change - just not the big change there could have been.

- - - Updated - - -

And Alec Salmond (First Minister of Scotland and leader of the 'yes' campaign) has announced he'll stand down pretty soon.

I thought he'd probably hang around for the negotiations with Westminster and then step down at the next Scottish election in 2016.

Don't like people quitting mid-term.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Forgot about Alaska. :tup:

Hawaii only has agriculture to export, they don't really have much of anything else to drive an economy, some of the worst education system there as well as a welfare spending problem I think. They would burn quickly and a tourist industry wouldn't get them very far. They would be nothing more than a Caribbean island.

New York might make it if Wall Street stayed and they'd have that to sorta drive commerce, etc. Don't think the extreme liberal policies will get them far *cough*detroit*cough*.

But yet, Alaska and Texas for the win.
    Alaska is an interesting fish. Tons of natural resources, but still a welfare state. Basically, they have oil, diamonds, shit infrastructure and not much else.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    Alaska is an interesting fish. Tons of natural resources, but still a welfare state. Basically, they have oil, diamonds, shit infrastructure and not much else.
    Not like they need massive infrastructure, they don't have many major cities. Look at Norway/Sweden, far north there is very remote but they do REALLY well with exporting what they have.

If Alaska became it's own nation, not only can they have trading with Canada, but they are set forever (or as long as Humans exist) with resources. They can sell oil to Asia, the US, even Russia if they wanted to. They have agriculture (livestock), plenty of natural water, their own ports for trade...they are set.

If they were able to utilize their own resources, they could easily have one of the highest standards of living IMO. Welfare only now because of our idiots in Washington I think. :oops:

- - - Updated - - -

Off-shore drilling as well.*

- - - Updated - - -

Fishing (cod/salmon/crab)

- - - Updated - - -

Timber if necessary

- - - Updated - - -

Import women though from Russia. :D

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    I think there was a fair mix.

I believe older folk were expected to be a 'no' vote.

But the last suggestion I heard was that 16 and 17 year olds (first time they've been allowed to vote in anything) were also going to come down on the 'no' side, albeit narrowly.

This result should come as no surprise to anyone who knows just how many Rangers fans there are in Scotland.
    For every Rangers fan there are just as many Celtic fans who would vote the other way. Any idiot stupid enough to make a decision like this based on their football team would be cancelled out by the opposing view of idiots on the other side.

I don't think age had much to do with the vote either, around 75% of over 65's were reportedly 'No', whilst it was a similar percentage in the other direction for 16-17s.

I think if someone is desperate to read anything from the vote results it is generally that the working class voted for 'yes' given by the traditional areas of Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and Dundee going this way. It makes sense, they are unhappy with the standard of their life and would do anything for change.

As much analysis can be done on who voted for what, but I think what it comes down to is that the case for independence lacked a coherent plan, people realised we live in a good society which has a strong basis to improve and the economics of leaving the UK would be a bad idea.

And as for people celebrating like we won the superbowl as @Enron suggested, I don't know what you watched but the streets are just like any other day (before the hysteria of referendum). I am delighted it is all over to be honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)