UK Politics (9 Viewers)

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #441
    When you get past the details of the Scottish independence referendum Thursday, there is a broader story underway, one that is also playing out in other advanced nations.

It is a crisis of the elites. Scotland’s push for independence is driven by a conviction — one not ungrounded in reality — that the British ruling class has blundered through the last couple of decades. The same discontent applies to varying degrees in the United States and, especially, the eurozone. It is, in many ways, a defining feature of our time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/upshot/scotland-independence-vote.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

- - - Updated - - -

No last minute change of heart? :D
    My mind wasn't sufficiently engaged when I was wandering along the road for that to happen.

Buy on AliExpress.com
    Jul 1, 2010
    I wonder what kind of effect this referendum will have on Quebec if the Yes vote wins. People talk quite a bit about it here even though the separatist movement is as weak as it has ever been.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #443
    I wonder what kind of effect this referendum will have on Quebec if the Yes vote wins. People talk quite a bit about it here even though the separatist movement is as weak as it has ever been.
    It's worth remembering through all this that it is very probably going to be a 'no' vote today. Almost all polls reckon it's looking like something in the region of 52-48 in favour of staying in the Union.

So for all the big stuff I've heard about Belgians, Quebecois, Catalans, etc., closely following events, in the end there isn't likely to be a 'yes' vote to inspire these other seperatist movements.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    When you get past the details of the Scottish independence referendum Thursday, there is a broader story underway, one that is also playing out in other advanced nations.

It is a crisis of the elites. Scotland’s push for independence is driven by a conviction — one not ungrounded in reality — that the British ruling class has blundered through the last couple of decades. The same discontent applies to varying degrees in the United States and, especially, the eurozone. It is, in many ways, a defining feature of our time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/upshot/scotland-independence-vote.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

- - - Updated - - -

My mind wasn't sufficiently engaged when I was wandering along the road for that to happen.
    :tup:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    If I was Scottish I honestly wouldn't know who to vote for, it's hard enough being English and knowing. Outside of London whose interests do they serve?

Lib Dems siding with the Tories and the damp squib that is Labour means that many Scottish voters feel pushed into a corner. The coalition government may even have been the death knell for the existing UK.

Jul 1, 2010
    If I was Scottish I honestly wouldn't know who to vote for, it's hard enough being English and knowing. Outside of London whose interests do they serve?

Lib Dems siding with the Tories and the damp squib that is Labour means that many Scottish voters feel pushed into a corner. The coalition government may even have been the death knell for the existing UK.
    Probably nobody. The British political class is completely subservient to the FIRE (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) sectors, which are mostly based in The City.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #447
    Labour being shit and Westminster politics continually edging to the right were both factors in my decision.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Probably nobody. The British political class is completely subservient to the FIRE (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) sectors, which are mostly based in The City.
    At this rate Britain's states of the future will end up reverting to something along the geographical lines of medieval Britain; Greater London, Scotland, Wales, Greater Manchester (Lancashire-Cumbria), Greater Birmingham (Mercia) and the likes of Cornwall (Wessex), Anglia and Northumberland.

People are disillusioned, their policies only suit London and the middle Englanders.

Jul 1, 2010
    That's why I think a federal system would help Britain, it would give the regions more autonomy and enable them to depend less on London. You have to get rid of that parasitic political class though.

It's such an elitist political class, they're all Oxbridge graduates from mostly rich families.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #452
    And that's going back to when it was a Scottish king in London...

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    Everything you just listed is the debate to be had if they gain independence, everything I have said is the debate about whether or not they should be independent. Different things entirely.
    no. but nice try.

see if you can re-package ur nonsense in some fancier words

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)