Uefa Jubilee - best 50 european players (3 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
5) Dino Zoff , okay there have been some baffling decisions but this takes the biscuit. I do not remember Zoff ever been voted European player of the year and I think its probably down to the sentiment that he was 40 when he captained Italy to the wc
I do think Zoff was an excellent goalkeeper, mind you, but I would not place him higher than Banks or Schmeichel , but to be called the 5th greatest ever player in Europe history is a bit much
Havin said all that well done to him

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
5) Dino Zoff , okay there have been some baffling decisions but this takes the biscuit. I do not remember Zoff ever been voted European player of the year and I think its probably down to the sentiment that he was 40 when he captained Italy to the wc
I do think Zoff was an excellent goalkeeper, mind you, but I would not place him higher than Banks or Schmeichel , but to be called the 5th greatest ever player in Europe history is a bit much
Havin said all that well done to him
or even Mayer. the german guy.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
In theory we should be more proud, because he developed a lot while he was with us.

But IMO he became much more famous when he went to Real, despite winning the WC while he was with us.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
4) Marco Van Basten . Oh well , for me thoroughly deserved, as he was the finest player to don the number9 shirt imo

A great scorer who was also a fabulous footballer, tragedy to football that his career was curtailed by injury and sad that he has no world cup goal to his name

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

the remaining 5 are: (they'll probibly be in this order)
Cruyff, Zidane, Beckenbauer (spelling), Van Basten, and Zoff.

Di Stefano was named 6th today. Eusebio is 7th.
So far, my little prediction is holding up :D

Dec 27, 2003
So Super Marco did not make it to the top three after all. I can't say Im not disappointed, although the three that came ahead of him (Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Zidane - hopefully in that order)certainly deserve to be there.

Had he not been forced to end his career prematurely, there is little doubt that the Swan from Utrecht would have nosed them out, though.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
yeah...seeing Platini at 9th with Zoff and Yashin ahead of him is just annoying!

About Marco.. i think 4th is about right. he would definately be first had his career been longer.

PS: Beckham ahead of Baggio :groan:

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
He should be #2, after Johan Cruyff.

Maybe that's a very Dutch point of view but I honestly think he's better than Zidane and Beckenbauer.
zidane? maybe. becke i woudnt think so since becke had a better overall team and success, and these things count on these occasions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)