Turkey To Get Banned From WC 2010? (was: Disgusting) (10 Viewers)

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
well i dont know the full story, if it was the players fault you cant act like that in football.

i know the fans were throwing stuff and if they get banned for that, it be sad.

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
i have nothing against turkey, i like their fans for being so passionate, that why if its the fans fault i hope uefa wont be hard on the nation.

but if the players brawled, its unprofessional and they have let their country down in acting that way.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
++ [ originally posted by neath_lad ] ++
i have nothing against turkey, i like their fans for being so passionate, that why if its the fans fault i hope uefa wont be hard on the nation.

but if the players brawled, its unprofessional and they have let their country down in acting that way.
disqualifying turkey from 2008 or 2010 would be very harsh.but something must be done against these acts.I heard the turkish commentator was mentioning this after the match " I am scared we will recieve a hard punishment for our stupid acts,maybe we will play our home matches closed doors or away in other countries,they could punish us just like they did to inter milan,we should learn to celebrate not with guns and kill people after each match,and we should learn to accept defeats not with throwing things from stands to players after we lose"..

this is exactly what he said, playing home matches behind closed doors at next world cup qualification would be fair IMO.

++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++
yeah let's hate turkey! it's fun :rolleyes:
who's mentioned the hate word?

OP
Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #33
    Turkey's stadium going fans, im sorry to say, have some attitude problem when it comes to crunch time. Their fans are passionate and great when they win, but when they lose they are quite horrible.

If anyone remembers back, bombs went off outside the stadium after the 2-2 draw with Latvia. Visiting Turkey for an away leg or an away tie in a competitve match is probably the most intimidating place one can go. Stricter rules are a must.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Dan ] ++
    Turkey's stadium going fans, im sorry to say, have some attitude problem when it comes to crunch time. Their fans are passionate and great when they win, but when they lose they are quite horrible.

If anyone remembers back, bombs went off outside the stadium after the 2-2 draw with Latvia. Visiting Turkey for an away leg or an away tie in a competitve match is probably the most intimidating place one can go. Stricter rules are a must.
    they are horrible even if they win,just check the record how many people died by guns after those wins.they have that habbit also

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter says it will hold an investigation into the violence at the end of the World Cup tie between Turkey and Switzerland.

he Swiss qualified on the away goals rule but the end of the game was marred as players clashed in the tunnel.

Blatter says the inquiry will be finished by 9 December, when the draw for the finals takes place in Leipzig.

He warned: "I can tell you this, not as a Swiss but as president of Fifa, that we will act and we will act tough."

Blatter added: "This was anti-fair play. The Turks had the chance to act as a good host and show that a revenge foul is not done in football.

"The catalogue of sanctions extends from a simple warning to suspension of the federation, which could mean exclusion from the next international event.

"The inquiry will show whether we will investigate against Switzerland, too."

BBC Weather

Last Updated: Thursday, 17 November 2005, 10:57 GMT
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    Fifa begins Turkey violence probe

Raphael Wicky of Switzerland clashes with Turkey's Hamit Altintop
    More World Cup play-off photos
    Full list of World Cup qualifiers
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter says it will hold an investigation into the violence at the end of the World Cup tie between Turkey and Switzerland.

The Swiss qualified on the away goals rule but the end of the game was marred as players clashed in the tunnel.

Blatter says the inquiry will be finished by 9 December, when the draw for the finals takes place in Leipzig.

He warned: "I can tell you this, not as a Swiss but as president of Fifa, that we will act and we will act tough."

Blatter added: "This was anti-fair play. The Turks had the chance to act as a good host and show that a revenge foul is not done in football.

"The catalogue of sanctions extends from a simple warning to suspension of the federation, which could mean exclusion from the next international event.

"The inquiry will show whether we will investigate against Switzerland, too."

This went beyond the limits of intimidation... I was told 'We're going to slit your throat.'
    Switzerland's Johann Lonfat

Turkish Soccer Federation vice president Sekip Mosturoglu said he was disappointed by Blatter's comments.

"Blatter's comments were extremely unfortunate. This was not a one-sided event," said Mosturoglu.

"I think Mr Blatter is giving a message to his own public. It's very wrong."

Turkey's state minister responsible for sports, Ali Sahin, added: "I am disappointed to hear the statement of the Fifa president before the reports of the match are unveiled."

The Swiss players left the pitch in Istanbul under a hail of objects thrown by the Turkish crowd and defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital with a groin injury following trouble in the tunnel.

"Grichting received some blows. He was covered in blood. He went to hospital, shocked," said Swiss midfielder Johann Lonfat.

"We were attacked. It was unbelievable. And I'm not talking about the pressure we sustained during the stay.

"We expected an electric atmosphere, an overheated atmosphere, but not that. This went beyond the limits of intimidation. I was told: 'We're going to slit your throat.'"

Swiss team spokesman Pierre Benoit confirmed Grichting had been to hospital but that he was now back with the squad.

"He has had to have a catheter put in and he will need seven to 10 days to recover," added Benoit.

Swiss coach Kobi Kuhn was stunned by the events in the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium.

"This is absolutely scandalous," he said.

"The Turkish police didn't think for a second about beating up people from Turkish television to stop them filming and that says it all about the atmosphere surrounding the end of the match."

The Swiss bus was pelted with eggs when they flew in on Monday and the Swiss national anthem was whistled during Wednesday's pre-match ceremony - as the Turkish anthem had been in Bern.

The Swiss team left Turkey from Ataturk Airport on Thursday under heavy police protection.

But the trouble in Istanbul will have taken the shine off their qualification for next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

Kuhn's team lost 4-2 to Turkey after a 2-0 victory in the first leg but won the tie on the away goals rule.

Tuncay Sanli scored a hat-trick for the Turks, who finished third in the 2002 World Cup, but Marco Streller's 84th-minute goal put the Swiss through.

The match ended with tempers fraying and television footage showed Benjamin Huggel kicking a member of the Turkish coaching staff as he ran off the pitch.

The Turkish media blamed Huggel's kick for sparking the trouble.

And Turkey striker Halil Altintop, with German team Kaiserslautern, played down the clashes.

"A few of our players overreacted after the match but I am happy there were no serious incidents," he said.

"I was in the Swiss locker room and talked to the players I knew from the Bundesliga. They said everything was fine."

Former Aston Villa defender Alpay then aimed a kick at Streller as the goalscorer went down the tunnel towards the dressing rooms. That is when the major trouble erupted.

Alpay also clashed with England captain David Beckham in October 2003 following a controversial Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4444566.stm

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Its not just for this incident its for general behaviour, its for the intimidation of their fans whenever there is a football match.
    Against England, it was the same with their players barging into Beckham before and after his penalty miss, the Heskey incident and all that nonsensical diving all the time.
    In club football its the same with the very silly welcome to hell garbage
    I certainly will not miss them if they are banned as I am sick and tired of people who treat football as something other than a sport

The Swiss player caught kicking out should be baneed from the wc, no questions asked and something should be done to Turkish football, its either they calm down or get the fook out, there should be no intimidation in football

As for Bahrain, please on what grounds do they have to complain about? How many times do you kick the ball outta a goal keepers hands and its deemed a goal?

Mar 6, 2005
    denco said:
    As for Bahrain, please on what grounds do they have to complain about? How many times do you kick the ball outta a goal keepers hands and its deemed a goal?
    Replays suggest that the ball was NOT in the keepers hands at that moment.. It was in the air.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well give an instance when thats allowed then i shall agree with you.
    Bahrain go to Trinidad and Tobago and get a very good result and instead of killing them off at home, they lose and want to come up with the flimsy excuse that the ball was in the air so its anybody's ball. Hello the only way the keeper could kick the ball is by throwing it in the air.
    How many times are Bahrain gonna protest anyways, aint this the second time?

Mar 6, 2005
    denco said:
    Well give an instance when thats allowed then i shall agree with you.
    Bahrain go to Trinidad and Tobago and get a very good result and instead of killing them off at home, they lose and want to come up with the flimsy excuse that the ball was in the air so its anybody's ball. Hello the only way the keeper could kick the ball is by throwing it in the air.
    How many times are Bahrain gonna protest anyways, aint this the second time?
    1st of all, we didn't protest, Uzbekistan did.

2nd of all, you haven't been reading my rants in the Road to WC2006 thread, have you? If so, you wouldn't accuse me of giving this flimsy excuse.. I know we didn't deserve to go to the WC based on that performance, but hey, football is about results more than anything, isn't it? All we want is fairness..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)