Turkey To Get Banned From WC 2010? (was: Disgusting) (3 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I haven't seen this, but it sounds like a striker stole the ball as the keeper was dropping it on his toe. If that's the case, that counts the same as kicking it out of his hands. I forget exactly how the rule states it, but I've read it before. That said, there could be some variation in the rules being used here from whereever I read it. It happens.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 6, 2005
Fair? :rolleyes:

I won't say why I don't think it was fair, because, naturally, you're going to say I'm biased, and you're right in doing so, but I know of a few people who could care less if Bahrain qualified or not, and they agree with me, that the match was anything but fair.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I just watched the replay of the aforementioned incident and I really do not know how you can protest that call...it's absurd to think you can just kick out at the keeper when he's trying to punt the ball away. And that is why it's against the rules of the game and that is why this Bahraini protest will amount to nothing. You simply cannot rely on blunders such as this to win your way to Germany.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Turkish football has struggled with this for some time now, they should be punished. They should have learned some time ago.

Bahrain choked, they should learn to lose more gracefully.

May 4, 2004
First of all.. i ****ing hope they do get banned!

Zurich - Fifa will consider banning Turkey from the 2010 World Cup as punishment for the violence at Wednesday's playoff match against Switzerland in Istanbul, Fifa president Sepp Blatter said on Thursday.

"We will act tough," Blatter said. "The catalogue of sanctions extends from a simple warning to suspension of the federation, which could mean exclusion from the next international event."

Blatter said Fifa's disciplinary committee will start its investigation immediately and decide on sanctions by Dec 9, the date for the draw of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

"In the truest sense of the word, fair play was trampled underfoot," Blatter told a news conference at Fifa headquarters. "This is unworthy of football. Football should promote understanding among peoples. This didn't happen here."

Blatter, who is Swiss, said he found it "difficult to speak as a Swiss and as a Fifa president about something that concerns both Switzerland and Fifa. But it's my responsibility."

Blatter said Marcel Mathier, the Swiss lawyer who heads the disciplinary committee, will refrain from considering the case.

The two teams tied 4-4 on aggregate, but the Swiss advanced to next year's World Cup in Germany on away goals.

"If a team that has won cannot celebrate on the pitch and instead have to run off like thieves, then something is wrong," Blatter said.

After the final whistle, both teams raced from the field apparently to escape angry fans. A scuffle between players from both sides ensued in the tunnel on the way to the locker room.

Swiss defender Stephane Grichting was injured in the brawl and hospitalised with a groin injury, the Swiss Football Association said.

Some of the violence was caught by television cameras.

Swiss player Benjamin Huggel kicked Turkish trainer Mehmet Ozdilek in the back of the legs as the two teams left the field. Turkey's Alpay Ozalan tried to kick Huggel in retaliation but instead made contact with another Swiss player in front of him. Huggel then grabbed Alpay around the neck and fell to the ground, with other players, coaches and security guards piling on.

Blatter said Fifa would consider a range of severe sanctions against Turkey.

Here u go.. watch it ..

video: http://www.zippyvideos.com/3483462762269796/cht/

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'll merge... hang on a sec. Will be good mod practice on the new site. ;)

(By merging, you all get credit for your posts vs. a delete.)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
How completely random of Blatter to start pointing at Turkey when it's yet unclear who started the whole thing and where the responsibilities exactly lie. Wouldn't have anything to do with your Swiss passport, now would it Mr Blatter?

I have an idea, whilst we're being completely random; let these terrible events just lead to the expulsion of Germany in any future tournament. Makes absolutely as much sense at this point.

Prove it or shut your hole, Blatter!

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Erik said:
How completely random of Blatter to start pointing at Turkey when it's yet unclear who started the whole thing and where the responsibilities exactly lie. Wouldn't have anything to do with your Swiss passport, now would it Mr Blatter?

I have an idea, whilst we're being completely random; let these terrible events just lead to the expulsion of Germany in any future tournament. Makes absolutely as much sense at this point.

my point exactly

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Blatter is an idiot. It was odd for him to quickly point out Turkey. My guess is that he underestimated how his own home national squad could be just as guilty, as he later stated that the Swiss could be subject to the same punishments -- given evidence.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Erik said:

Bingo!! he has no right to go to the press and express his views minutes after the game. Especially without an official Referee Report of the Incidents. He acted purely as a Swiss and not as a FIFA pres. which is a shame. Blatter should be impeached as Fifa president for those harsh comments on a scuffle that probably got started by his own people (during the national anthem in the swiss game they booed the whole time)

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
hambon78 said:
Bingo!! he has no right to go to the press and express his views minutes after the game. Especially without an official Referee Report of the Incidents. He acted purely as a Swiss and not as a FIFA pres. which is a shame. Blatter should be impeached as Fifa president for those harsh comments on a scuffle that probably got started by his own people (during the national anthem in the swiss game they booed the whole time)
Ya right as if Switzerland will get expeled from Germany:sick:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Yep, just more evidence Sepp Blatter is an imbecile. He could have took the same stance against several other nations with violence and conduct problems, yet decides to waive his stick at the opposing team to his own nationality. What a joker.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
who was turkish number 14?

BTW:

Vogel: I’ve Never Been That Scared On The Pitch
11/18/2005 11:00:00 AM
Switzerland midfielder Johann Vogel has spoken about the violence that took place after his side’s World Cup qualification against Turkey on Wednesday.
Objects were thrown from the crowd and a number of players clashed in the tunnel with Swiss defender Stephane Grichting being taken to hospital as his side advanced to the World Cup.

"I’ve never been so scared on a football pitch," said Milan midfielder Vogel. "It’s not something I would want to go through. Running off the pitch so we wouldn’t be hit by objects thrown after we had qualified for the World Cup is not a wonderful thing.

"Anyway, there is satisfaction at this historic result for my country.":disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)