Troy (2 Viewers)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
I thought it was good but not great and def not what it could / should have been

script was weak some of the acting very poor (bloom) far too many long lingering shots of pitt

and definately not how i interpreted the iliad

well worth a look though

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Watched it today. The acting and storyline was quite poor but some scenes were grand and quite a spectacle. Just the latter is worth watching the movie for. Peter O'Toole is unrecognizable since his Lawrence of Arabia days but those blue eyes were as distinct as ever.

Anyway, was with this friend of mine who has a bad habit of drawing analogies of movies to football. Some of our warped imagination here,

1. King Agamemnon - Franco Sensi (some facial/physical resemblence and definitely demented)
2. Achilles (Brad Pitt) - Totti (the arrogance and all)
3. Patroclus - Cassano (really looks like him as does his role to 'Totti' in the movie)

As for content, a few circumstancial similarities as well, such as ...

1. Achilles has a strained relationship with the King, whom he views as a snivelling politician riding on the real substance of his men - football on the field vs boardroom politics.

2. The scene and dialogue between Achilles and his mum before undertaking the decision to join the Trojan war. His mum prophesized that he'll lead a happy family life and leave a legacy only to close ones if he didn't go but will attain everlasting glory and meet his doom at the same time if he does. How does that dilemma compare to staying in Roma and transferring to Real Madrid?

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
I just came back from watching Troy! :extatic:

My.oh.my...have I not seen so many beutiful people in one set before! :D Go watch it! Seriously, I enjoyed the movie very much.

Gladiator is still the best tho!:thumb:

Slack, what a theory your friend has! :LOL: Kinda true though...

OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    :howler:

my friend watched it too and she said it was below her expectations. I hate it when they premiere movies like hell and you expect so much just to see some movie that's not as spectacular :D

Glenn, live with the fact you're not meant for the cinema :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    I thought it was good but not great and def not what it could / should have been

script was weak some of the acting very poor (bloom) far too many long lingering shots of pitt

and definately not how i interpreted the iliad

well worth a look though
    Wow, Paul, rarely have I seen you show this much restraint.. I feel just the way you do about this movie, fair enough but nothing too special. Acting was so so, storyline was poor and little to fill in between the killing. But having seen it I would have expected you to slaughter it as you often do. :D

Best acting/role was prolly Hector's character though I must admit I barely know the story and couldn't tell what was done right and not.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    yeah, but Sarah, this is WAY off. I don't want to get inot it only because i don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it yet.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, if you've read "The Illiad", which is part of Homer's "Odyssey", you'll notice some alterations to the story right away that left me a little confused, and some parts are just entirely omitted.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Allright, let me clarify.

the Odyssey is the 2nd of Homer's works, and it chronicles Odysseus' return trip from Troy, which the battle of Troy itself is chronicled in The Illiad.

There, rover. Better Now??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)