Totti rejects to play for italy...again!! (1 Viewer)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
For all those criticising Totti, i suggest you actually read the article properly. The headline just smacks of sensationalism and has nothing to do with the content. He is unhappy that the FA for not putting back start of serieA. he is actually pro Italy national team and has threateened to quit the player association, not the national team. it just seems people only want to see what they want to see. Not that they actually give a damn about Azzuri, its more about putting down Totti. He is not happy that Albertini, who by the way, has become a big fish all of a sudden, insist on dragging up old news. Thats another gripe of his. He did not quit the National team, he just feels he cannot play for both just now until the plates are removed from his ankle. Cut the dude some slack
Totti played a grand total of 50 games for Roma this season. 35 games for Serie A, 6 for Coppa Italia, and 9 for Roma: and scored 32 goals in the process. If you take out those meaningless Coppa Italia games, Totti scored 30 goals in 44 games. I'll advise to Totti, injury or not, he should keep those metal plates as long as his career lasts, and here are reaons why:

(1) His appearance of 50 games is the most he has ever achieved for Roma in a season. The previous best was 42 games back in 1998-99; the season in which Totti really established himself as a golden boy of Italian Calcio with the injury to Del Piero. Since then he mainly played low to mid 30 games with the exception being 2004-05 season when he played 40 games. Funnily enough, if I remember correctly, that was the season i which Roma was in total disarray and just avoided relegation in last couple weeks before the season ended. Oh did I mentioned that his tally of 32 goals, shatters his previous by margin, of good 12 goals.

(2) The period during which Totti proclaimed self induced exile from the Azzurri set up, Italia has played 9 matches of which 7 were competitive ones. However, if you look at the past schedules more closely, it is only right that we exclude the game against Croatia (since every single WC members were given "vacation"), and Faroes. That leaves Totti with 6 competitive duties he could have and would have been expected to fulfill by Nazionale. No disrespect to Scotland, Lithuania, Georgia, but physical exertions from playing these 4 matches are probably less than those he consumes through his yearly sex life. If Totti gave up little bit more sex, I think he would be more than able to play for Nazionale, since only two mentally and physically draining matches would have been France and Ukraine (There are mental stress involved but that is a different matter).

(3) Totti himself, as a matter of fact, stated that he is willing to play for those two "big" matches, which ironically would require most effort both mentally and physically. Didn't I just hear Totti couldn't play National games because he simply wasn't fit enough to play both internationally and domestically?

Judging from those facts, it is blatantly clear, Totti is more or less healed from injury. Although people don't notice it because of lack of hype into Totti's season, he just had his career year in terms of production is concerned. I would argue, style aside, Totti even had a better season than Kaka or Ronaldo. He has been unbelievably consistent this year, as well as scoring in big matches as he always do (at least in Serie A), and top of that lead from front (literally) the entire Roman team into 2nd place. You can't do that if you are injured. That is just not possible. How can you be better than you have ever been if you are injured?

Donadoni has every right to be pissed. His neck has been about to be severed eversince he took over. And yet he can't call up a player who probably enjoyed best season in entire Europe, because he is supposedly "injured". Having won WC Totti blatantly doesnt want to participate in those "chore" games, which Italia will more or less win no matter what, and reserve his energy for other things in life.

If you were going to argue about this board not appreciating Totti's talent I agree with you. He isn't as talented as Kaka or Ronaldo, but given his experience and skills, he probably produce more on a daily basis. He is best Italian player ever since Baggio retired. Heck, I will say he sounds like a real man, after all those charities and social functions he attend to. I feel angered by remarks that questions about Totti's supposed "dirtiness", because people just saw him spitting a Dane Poulsen, whose claim to fame is that he has been spitted by Totti, when everyone who played this game know he would have chopped, tugged, and even grabbed Totti's private area. But intelligence has never been Totti's forte, and to call out Federation, when he is also part of whole problem, is just plain stupid. Totti should let his foot do the talking, because that part of the body is his smartest function.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I hope he keeps playing so that I can abuse the wee prick when Italy come to Hampden in a couple of months.:nasty:

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
best Italian player since Roby....Malidni?Cannavaro?Buffon?Del Piero?
I ignored Maldini since IMO he is really a player of same era with Roby.

But if somebody gave me a list of American style draft picks, and give me choice pick to choose, and that I have to win the league that year, well I have no doubt that I will choose Totti over Canna, Buffon and Del Piero. I don't think GK is as important as forwards in terms of league is concerned. Because defence tends to me more team output as much as individual contribution, and you can build viable alternative without necessary having Canna's, Buffon's, Nestas, of the world, if well thought out. On the other hand, there really isnt any replacement for quality up front. And Totti is most talented and efficient Italian in last decade combining both style and output. Only Vieri in his awesome prime matches or even exceeds output of Totti`s brilliance. As for Ale, I love the man as much as you. I actually saw little dimunitive boy grow up to be a man. Who would forget those memorable 4 goal party against Parma. Or that brillaint goal against Fiorentina. Or outrageous backhill in CL final. What could he have been if Zanchi been plunge into tackle. But that is all what if. Ale has unbelievable CV, but it is a lot easier to win if you got 10 other world class teammates instead of just 4 or 5 like Totti did.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
wasn't it Sottil who injured Ale???
I thought it was Zanchi, but I might be wrong. I know Turk will disagree, but Totti individual wise better than Del Piero. Loyalty aside, I don't know why he even bothers to play for Roma. That Sensi family is clueless in terms of managing a good FC. A man like Moggi would have given him 7-8 Scudetti, 2-3 CL, as well as International recognition which he never gets in Roma.

Kaka is my man, whom I always supported eversince he burst into scene, but Totti deserved to win the player of the year IMO. He has been nothing short of phenomenal this year.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
i think both r equal as they r above/below each other in diff depts...but he could def learn something about humility & sportsmanship from Pinturricchio

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
i think both r equal as they r above/below each other in diff depts...but he could def learn something about humility & sportsmanship from Pinturricchio
I have heard good thing about Totti in private lives; doing many charity works and social functions. So I think a lot said about Totti by media is myths. He is probably a good person at heart, but who suffers from rash temper, and severe lack of intelligece (though I enjoy taking piss out of his intelligence:p ).

But you make a valid point, I am not too sure egoistical Totti would have been able to fit into Juve system. I am sure Totti would kill himself to have Ale's CV. In terms of team achievements are concerned, it is no contest.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I agree with most things you have said except Totti being more talented than Dp as that will get a "not a chance" response from me. Yes Totti might have won more if he went to a bigger squad or team, but would he have been as effective if everything does not go through him? Roma has always played through Totti so he is able to shine more than he would have if he was sharing spotlight with players of his ilk. Dp pre injury was just awesome, the most talented Italian player that I have seen and I am including Baggio in that. But post injury is another matter, though he has achieved a lot as a team member, as an individual, he could have been so much better. The only area I think Totti is superior to him is the vision and passes, apart from that Dp in his prime beats him hands down imo. Its just like you cannot expect to see the same Ronaldinho who plays for Barcelona or the Henry who plays for arsenal to be the same one that plays for theior national team, As the play just does not go through them as much

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I agree with most things you have said except Totti being more talented than Dp as that will get a "not a chance" response from me. Yes Totti might have won more if he went to a bigger squad or team, but would he have been as effective if everything does not go through him? Roma has always played through Totti so he is able to shine more than he would have if he was sharing spotlight with players of his ilk. Dp pre injury was just awesome, the most talented Italian player that I have seen and I am including Baggio in that. But post injury is another matter, though he has achieved a lot as a team member, as an individual, he could have been so much better. The only area I think Totti is superior to him is the vision and passes, apart from that Dp in his prime beats him hands down imo. Its just like you cannot expect to see the same Ronaldinho who plays for Barcelona or the Henry who plays for arsenal to be the same one that plays for theior national team, As the play just does not go through them as much
I guess your points are valid. You make a good mention of everything going through Totti. I have to yield on that point. I remember Nakata once saying, in Roma everyhing goes over my head and straight to Totti. Capello did try to bring best of Nakata and Totti tandom, but credit to the man (I still think he is shit coach, who happens to manage well), he realized soon the partnership was not going to work, because neither Hide nor Totti had enough discipline or work-rate to sacrifice their game for each other. So it is debatable whether Totti would have achieved same individual success had he been forced to adjust his game for his teammates. Another issues is mentality. I am sure at places like Juve, there is no way he could have got away with some of the comments made in the media. There is a good chance board got fed up with him and sold Totti to the highest bidder. Love him or hate him, Ale is exemplary to all players on how to behave in front of reporters. Everyone knew he didnt get along with Crap, but he still kept things diplomatic in front of cameras until the Crap left. Oh, pre-injury Del Piero is somethingelse. Unbelievable that how so many of his awesome clips are mainly from his younger days. But he only had one really productive season, and you can argue that was above trend, a la Adriano. But having said that, after Brazil's Ronaldo, Del Piero is definetely most talented teenager I have ever seen with Raul close third.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Totti played a grand total of 50 games for Roma this season. 35 games for Serie A, 6 for Coppa Italia, and 9 for Roma: and scored 32 goals in the process. If you take out those meaningless Coppa Italia games, Totti scored 30 goals in 44 games. I'll advise to Totti, injury or not, he should keep those metal plates as long as his career lasts, and here are reaons why:

(1) His appearance of 50 games is the most he has ever achieved for Roma in a season. The previous best was 42 games back in 1998-99; the season in which Totti really established himself as a golden boy of Italian Calcio with the injury to Del Piero. Since then he mainly played low to mid 30 games with the exception being 2004-05 season when he played 40 games. Funnily enough, if I remember correctly, that was the season i which Roma was in total disarray and just avoided relegation in last couple weeks before the season ended. Oh did I mentioned that his tally of 32 goals, shatters his previous by margin, of good 12 goals.

(2) The period during which Totti proclaimed self induced exile from the Azzurri set up, Italia has played 9 matches of which 7 were competitive ones. However, if you look at the past schedules more closely, it is only right that we exclude the game against Croatia (since every single WC members were given "vacation"), and Faroes. That leaves Totti with 6 competitive duties he could have and would have been expected to fulfill by Nazionale. No disrespect to Scotland, Lithuania, Georgia, but physical exertions from playing these 4 matches are probably less than those he consumes through his yearly sex life. If Totti gave up little bit more sex, I think he would be more than able to play for Nazionale, since only two mentally and physically draining matches would have been France and Ukraine (There are mental stress involved but that is a different matter).

(3) Totti himself, as a matter of fact, stated that he is willing to play for those two "big" matches, which ironically would require most effort both mentally and physically. Didn't I just hear Totti couldn't play National games because he simply wasn't fit enough to play both internationally and domestically?

Judging from those facts, it is blatantly clear, Totti is more or less healed from injury. Although people don't notice it because of lack of hype into Totti's season, he just had his career year in terms of production is concerned. I would argue, style aside, Totti even had a better season than Kaka or Ronaldo. He has been unbelievably consistent this year, as well as scoring in big matches as he always do (at least in Serie A), and top of that lead from front (literally) the entire Roman team into 2nd place. You can't do that if you are injured. That is just not possible. How can you be better than you have ever been if you are injured?

Donadoni has every right to be pissed. His neck has been about to be severed eversince he took over. And yet he can't call up a player who probably enjoyed best season in entire Europe, because he is supposedly "injured". Having won WC Totti blatantly doesnt want to participate in those "chore" games, which Italia will more or less win no matter what, and reserve his energy for other things in life.

If you were going to argue about this board not appreciating Totti's talent I agree with you. He isn't as talented as Kaka or Ronaldo, but given his experience and skills, he probably produce more on a daily basis. He is best Italian player ever since Baggio retired. Heck, I will say he sounds like a real man, after all those charities and social functions he attend to. I feel angered by remarks that questions about Totti's supposed "dirtiness", because people just saw him spitting a Dane Poulsen, whose claim to fame is that he has been spitted by Totti, when everyone who played this game know he would have chopped, tugged, and even grabbed Totti's private area. But intelligence has never been Totti's forte, and to call out Federation, when he is also part of whole problem, is just plain stupid. Totti should let his foot do the talking, because that part of the body is his smartest function.
Nice points. But one of the reasons Totti got to play a record number of matches for his own career was the fact that the team played a near-record number of matches overall:

1) They made it once again to the Coppa Italia Final
2) Barring battery tosses at referees this past season, Roma actually made it to the Champions League quarterfinals -- the first time Roma made it that far since the competition was renamed in 1992

It's a little deceptive to not mention that in the context of this.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Francesco Totti has called a press conference to reveal his decision on whether his hiatus from international football has become a full fledged retirement.

The overwhelming majority of Italian media outlets will be present at Roma's Trigoria training ground at 13.30 local time on Friday to report on the Gialorossi captain’s long drawn out announcement.

No matter which way it falls, Totti’s decision is sure to be met with controversy, as he has both agitated and alienated many with his refusal to lineup for the national team until an ankle injury suffered before the World Cup has healed completely – this despite being in such fine form that he conquered the Serie A scoring crown with 26 goals.

Totti has not appeared for the Azzurri since the World Cup final against France, but even many of his detractors in Italy will be (secretly) hoping that he decides to make himself available to coach Roberto Donadoni again in light of decisive Euro qualifiers against France and Ukraine coming up in September.

goal.com

I think he will be announcing his retirement, if he was going to continue playing for the national team, he would have come out and said it. The fact that he has called a press conference points to his retirement.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
He has talent, we can't dispute that, but my argument as to how much he has is that even as a young player, Del Piero had already achieved more, & risen higher than Totti by comparison. Before anyone shoots me down, sure, Alex had the advantage of being at a bigger club & loyalty tied Totti to Roma. But if Totti was as good as is made out, being at Roma wouldn't have held him back. I've got 4 words to hammer my argument home..."Luigi Riva at Cagliari!" One of not just Italy's but ALL football's brightest ever stars!
I made the above post 2 days ago...I want to add this. Totti's Italy WAS the Euro 2000 tournament. That WAS his big international chance, & he didn't set the tournament on fire like he was supposed to. In his defence, the whole team wasn't so hot either, to say the least! Notice I'm saying WAS...Totti's Italy WAS...to explain, unless my memory fails me, his 2 big moments since then have been 2 vital penalty goals, & vital though they were, it's not a lot in 7 years! Believe me, as an Italian, I'd dearly love to say "what a guy, what a player, & cite many remarkable Azzurri moments as in the case of Gigi Riva in the highlighted old post above! But I can't, & I thank him for what he has done & wish him well in his tv career advertising cellphones & soft drinks, & playing for Roma, the home of my family (Juve games aside of course, then only Juve matters!) If later today, Friday 20'th, he should say he will be available to Donadoni, I hope he will only be used as a sub. because it's time for a fresher, younger talent to step up & do what he didn't!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Francesco Totti has called a press conference to reveal his decision on whether his hiatus from international football has become a full fledged retirement.
Too much drama. It's not like the guy is announcing he's running for president. :disagree:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Too much drama. It's not like the guy is announcing he's running for president. :disagree:
You think that is drama? You ought to have lived in England when Andy Cole called a press conference to announce his retirement from international football. I mean seriously he only played like 5 minutes for England.

@ Carlo D, the euro 2000 was not meant to be Totti's tournament, if truth be told it was meant to be Dp's. Totti did not actually play badly as the tournament brought him into prominence internationally. wc 2002, euro 2004 and wc 06 were menat to be his but he has not lived up to expectations in any of those but he played very well in euro 2000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)