Top movies or films you really MUST see (37 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Dont hold it against her, this thread is too Hollywood in general, what most are exposed to. Barely any European or asian cinema whatsoever.
Nah I'm not exposed to American movies more, am a huge fan of Bergman's and Kieslowski's but European films in general don't appeal to me as much as American ones do. I personally can't connect myself to many of European films' concepts. I find Godard's boring and pretentious as hell and I disliked A bout de souffle :D

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
I'd understand if you simply don't like A bout de souffle, but a sorry movie? Many say it's overrated, but I think they fail to understand just how revolutionary it was and how many films/directors it influenced.

And it has Jean Seberg :heart:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Gladiator
Scarface
The Good, Bad and Ugly one
American history X
The bodyguard

I dont know if they are the best, but after so many years, i could see those films any time i got the chance.
As growing man though, i still have fond memories of
Rocky 3
Aliens
Predator
Rambo 2
The old Yeller

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Nah I'm not exposed to American movies more, am a huge fan of Bergman's and Kieslowski's but European films in general don't appeal to me as much as American ones do. I personally can't connect myself to many of European films' concepts. I find Godard's boring and pretentious as hell and I disliked A bout de souffle :D
"I pity the French Cinema because it has no money. I pity the American Cinema because it has no ideas."

Unfortunately there is truth in that, although through sheer volume and capacity to enjoy something that is entertaining above perfect and groundbreaking means that everyone is happy.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'd understand if you simply don't like A bout de souffle, but a sorry movie? Many say it's overrated, but I think they fail to understand just how revolutionary it was and how many films/directors it influenced.

And it has Jean Seberg :heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJkWBiBa6X0
I know it was influential, probably one of the most influential movies out there but I really disliked it. It's probably because I can't relate myself to it some fifty years after it being made. On the Waterfront too is a movie which has influenced many filmmakers but for today's audience, it's just another stereotypical movie where the hero fights against the villains singlehandedly etc etc.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I know it was influential, probably one of the most influential movies out there but I really disliked it. It's probably because I can't relate myself to it some fifty years after it being made. On the Waterfront too is a movie which has influenced many filmmakers but for today's audience, it's just another stereotypical movie where the hero fights against the villains singlehandedly etc etc.

its because you dont speak french :D but i do rate band of outsiders higher than a bout de souffle, but to call it a sorry movie is ridic. As for the mindset thing, i dont honestly buy it, it's lilke saying keaton was a hack because how incredible stuntmen are. A dedicated cinephile knows how to put things in perspective.

and to the euro out there quit your hateration, pictures are an american staple, though lately its been mostly garbage(hollywood). Even the euro greats came here to get it done.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
and to the euro out there quit your hateration, pictures are an american staple, though lately its been mostly garbage(hollywood). Even the euro greats came here to get it done.
Have zero problem with american cinema, but only mentionning/watching Hollywood is missing out a bit (the gems from euro and asian cinema), and not jus that, but also missing out on american cinema pre 80s or so, most movies mentionned are 2-3 decades old at most. Such wealth of lovely movies before that.

P.S Havent watched or know of the souffle movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)