Tiago Mendes (7 Viewers)

Tacca03

May 24, 2003
Thank you very much for your info Inara. Its pretty rare nowadays a player can leave and still have the utmost respect by the fans.

I always believe having good persons in a team is as important as having good players.

By the way, Inara, fancy following Tiago and become a Juve fan? :)

As a Lyon fan, I'm happy to see that people are excited by Tiago's arrival at Juventus. He's been fantastic for us and I'm truly sorry to see him go, but with a player of that caliber, you can't ask him to stay in Ligue 1 forever.

He's a technically gifted player, but you all know that. Juventus are also getting a really great person, who is class both on and off the field. He's the definition of a team player and well loved by his teammates and the fans. He's also honorable in a way many footballers aren't nowadays. Unlike the way Essien, Diarra, and now Abidal are trying to leave Lyon, Tiago did it respectfully and discreetly, not injuring the club's pride.

He signed for Juventus because he admires the club (Milan offered him a better financial deal and Barcelona wanted to negotiate as well), and he's willing to work for glory as opposed to being a spectator, which is why he doesn't mind not playing in the CL next year.

I hope he brings you guys as much joy and quality as he brought to us.

Three non-publicized Tiago moments I will always remember:

Last year during the second leg match against PSV, Tiago dedicated his first ever CL goal to Fred and his baby daughter, who had just been born two hours before that.

Last October, during a match against PSG, Lyon were trailing behind by one goal, and with Juninho missing, no one worked harder in that match than Tiago in trying to bring Lyon back into the game. He finally scored a beautiful assist to Sylvain Wiltord, who scored. Tiago was so thrilled he just slid onto the grass in joy (here, in the 7:58 minute).

During the Lens-Lyon match last December (Lens being Lyon's closest rivals at that point), Lyon were leading by three goals. There was a clear chance for Tiago to score, but Juninho was also there, and so Tiago moved aside and allowed his captain the honor of scoring on that night.

Buy on AliExpress.com

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
As a Lyon fan, I'm happy to see that people are excited by Tiago's arrival at Juventus. He's been fantastic for us and I'm truly sorry to see him go, but with a player of that caliber, you can't ask him to stay in Ligue 1 forever.

He's a technically gifted player, but you all know that. Juventus are also getting a really great person, who is class both on and off the field. He's the definition of a team player and well loved by his teammates and the fans. He's also honorable in a way many footballers aren't nowadays. Unlike the way Essien, Diarra, and now Abidal are trying to leave Lyon, Tiago did it respectfully and discreetly, not injuring the club's pride.

He signed for Juventus because he admires the club (Milan offered him a better financial deal and Barcelona wanted to negotiate as well), and he's willing to work for glory as opposed to being a spectator, which is why he doesn't mind not playing in the CL next year.

Last year during the second leg match against PSV, Tiago dedicated his first ever CL goal to Fred and his baby daughter, who had just been born two hours before that.

Last October, during a match against PSG, Lyon were trailing behind by one goal, and with Juninho missing, no one worked harder in that match than Tiago in trying to bring Lyon back into the game. He finally scored a beautiful assist to Sylvain Wiltord, who scored. Tiago was so thrilled he just slid onto the grass in joy (here, in the 7:58 minute).

During the Lens-Lyon match last December (Lens being Lyon's closest rivals at that point), Lyon were leading by three goals. There was a clear chance for Tiago to score, but Juninho was also there, and so Tiago moved aside and allowed his captain the honor of scoring on that night.
thanks, Inara...this i hope will change how ppl think about Tiago...and lets not forget what he did for Chelsea...especially his screamer against Manure.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
People were calling Tiago an "average player" and said he would "get owned in Italy." Now everybody seems to be happy.
I just realised they probably don't know him.

You know, I admit I haven't seen that much from Almiron, but at least I'm wise enough to be truthful about it. Talking shit about players without having seen them is just childish.
I still don't think Tiago is a great player, if that makes you feel better :D.

wookie

Aug 5, 2004

Thanks Inara for letting us know what you think about Tiago.
For what I heard from I you, I am know very, very excited to see him play in the Juve jersey. If the impression of what I get what you told becomes the truth, then it would be better than Henry changing his opinion and contract and then to play for Juventus the next 4 years. Thus i gotta say Olimpique rules anyhow.
If theres anything strange, then I'm drunk!

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
The little that i've seen has impressed me, but from what people are saying, he must be good, but till I see him playing for us in a competitive match i won't make judgements.

soulslider

Rregula sound
May 16, 2006
Goal.com Profile: Tiago

Portuguese midfielder Tiago has been snapped up by Juventus as the newly-promoted Bianconeri prepare to challenge once more for the Scudetto. Tiago has gone from SuperLiga to Premiership to Ligue 1 and will now hope to win medals in Serie A. Goal.com profiles this highly-rated heir to Portugial's "golden generation"...

Early Years

Tiago Cardoso Mendes was born on 2nd May 1981 in Viana do Castelo, a resort town in northern Portugal. His first steps towards footballing success were as a striker in junior football, but he was converted into a defensive midfielder at his local club, Sporting Braga, with whom he turned professional in his late teens.

Tiago came to prominence with Sporting Braga B, the reserve team of Sporting Braga, during the 1999-2000 season, and progressed to the first team during the following campaign, helping Braga to a 4th-placed finish and qualification for the Uefa Cup and attracting the interest of larger Portuguese clubs along the way. Tiago made more than 60 league appearances for Braga, but in December 2001 he was transferred to Benfica.

In his full first season with the Eagles of Lisbon (2002-03), Tiago scored 13 goals in 31 league games as Benfica finished second, and in November 2002 he was called up for his international debut in Portugal's friendly against Scotland.

With Benfica, Tiago won his first club honour, the Portuguese Cup in 2004. He did so amid high drama as Benfica came from behind to beat FC Porto in extra-time. Porto, under Jose Mourinho, had won the Portuguese SuperLiga title and were soon to be crowned champions of Europe, so Benfica's victory denied them an historic treble.

But Mourinho had been impressed by the midfielder's effort and desire, and when Jose was appointed manager of Chelsea in the summer of 2004, he made Tiago one of his early transfer targets. On 20th July 2004, having made 95 appearances and scored 19 goals for Benfica, Tiago Mendes signed a three-year contract with Chelsea for a fee in the region of €15 million (over £8 million).

To England, France….& Italy

As Mourinho's sixth signing of summer 2004, Tiago missed Chelsea's first game of the 2004-05 season but quickly established himself as a key member of the squad, scoring on his away debut against Crystal Palace on 24th August 2004.
At the other end of the campaign, Tiago produced a stunning long-range effort, one of Chelsea's goals in a 3-1 victory over Manchester United on 11th May 2005 as the Blues stormed to their first top-flight English League title for 50 years.
Tiago was a regular in Chelsea's three-man midfield that season, missing just four Premiership matches, making 51 appearances for the club in all competitions, scoring 4 goals and winning a Carling Cup winner's medal as well as a Premier League championship medal.

However, when Mourinho bought Michael Essien from Lyon in August 2005, Tiago's first team opportunities were compromised, the Ghanaian displacing him in the pecking order. After bidding an emotional farewell to Stamford Bridge, Tiago flew to Lyon and successfully passed a medical with the French champions, Lyon. He signed a four-year deal for a €10.1 million (£6.82m) transfer fee. Mourinho later confessed that letting Tiago go was a big mistake.

At Lyon, where he was initially deployed as the holding player in a four-man midfield alongside Juninho, Mahamadou Diarra and Florent Malouda, Tiago enjoyed an outstanding first season (2005-06), scoring 7 goals in 37 appearances. He scored twice against PSV Eindhoven to take Lyon to the Champions League quarter-finals, and hit the winner against Troyes on 1st April as Lyon clinched a fifth successive Ligue 1 title. Ironically, Tiago's impact at Lyon was such that the team had scarcely missed Essien.

When Diarra left for Real Madrid the following season, to be replaced by Jeremy Toulalan, Tiago assumed greater authority in the Lyon midfield. He won his second consecutive Ligue 1 title and helped take Gerard Houllier's side to the Coupe de la Ligue final, where they surprisingly lost to a last-minute goal against Bordeaux. Tiago scored 6 goals in 40 appearances in his second season in France.

But on 17th June 2007, Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas confirmed that the Serie A giants Juventus and AC Milan were both chasing Tiago's signature, and that a sale was imminent. The Portuguese star officially signed for Juve on 21st June for a fee of €15m.

National Team

After a promising introduction to international football in Portugal's youth teams, Tiago made his senior debut against Scotland in a friendly in November 2002, going on to be regularly selected in the national squad and earning a place in Portugal's 23-man party for the 2004 Uefa European Football Championship. However, he did not get a game as his country reached the final, where they lost to Greece, being an unused substitute throughout the tournament.

After moving to Lyon he forced his way him into the Portuguese midfield and was a key member of the team that qualified for the 2006 Fifa World Cup. He played five matches for Portugal in Germany as they reached the semi-finals before bowing out to eventual runners-up France.

Tiago opened his goalscoring account for Portugal in March 2007, when he starred as man-of-the-match in a Euro 2008 qualifier away to Serbia.

Technical Ability

Now recognised as one of Europe's leading midfielders, Tiago plays a defensive role in the middle, offering effective protection for his back-line while lending support to the strikers. He is known for the accuracy of his passing and his sharp eye for goal.

Claim To Fame - Three Consecutive Titles

Having won the English Premier League title in 2004-05 with Chelsea, and back-to-back French Ligue 1 titles in 2005-06 and 2006-07 with Lyon, Tiago will now be targeting a fourth consecutive championship in a third different country with Juventus in Italy.

“I’m here to win more trophies,” he told journalists after signing his contract with the Bianconeri. “I’m happy about my choice. Juventus are one of the great European clubs, coming here was a dream for me and I’ve fulfilled it now.”

Juve will be hoping that Tiago can make it four league titles in a row in 2007-08 as they attempt to mount a serious challenge in their first campaign back in Serie A. The ‘Old Lady’ won promotion from Serie B after having been relegated from the top flight as punishment for their part in the 2006 Calciopoli scandal.

Did You Know?

- When Tiago said he wanted to accept an offer from French champions Lyon so that he could start more matches, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho only reluctantly allowed him to go, saying: “He is a wonderful boy and we will miss him.”

- Tiago and his wife Barbara have two children, Beatriz and Francesco.

- He is the fourth Portuguese footballer to play for Juventus, after midfielder Rui Barros (1988-90), who won the Coppa Italia and the Uefa Cup wit the Old Lady, Manuel Dimas (a Serie A title winner in 1998), and Paulo Sousa, a midfielder who won both Serie A and the Champions League with the Bianconeri in the mid-1990s.

Particulars

Name

Tiago Cardoso Mendes

Birth Date / Place / Age

2nd May 1981 / Viana do Castelo / 26

Nationality

Portuguese

Height

1.78m

Weight

70kg

Position

Defensive Midfielder

Kosta

The Eccentric
Jul 16, 2006
This guy could be our lucky charm , where ever he played , he wins trophies . I wish him to win as much as possible with Juventus. All the luck , Tiago.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
We weren't interested in gilardino, not the other way around.

I'm not sure who these people are that doubted him before. I guess Tiago isn't the biggest name in football but then again you could say that about ALOT OF GOOD FOOTBALLERS OUTSIDE THE PREMIERSHIP.

Anyhow, Tiago isn't flashy, but he's the guy u want in midfield and can rely on. I actually think he'll prove to be very consistant and helpful. I never knew much about his personality though, and having heard what Inara said, Im impressed and very thankful we found another honarably player.

I don't want to jinx us, but judging from our player's strong team characteristics Del Pie, Nedved, Buffon now Tiago. We might just be really competitive.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

The guy is a class-act :tup:

Sounds like a true Juventino to me ;)

Thanx for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)