The UEFA Cup Thread (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Oh dear ... oh dear oh dear... :D

They seemed to have forgotten they were playing against Germans! At a certain point, I could see they 'thought it was all over', to use some famous words ;) And they almost crashed and burned there! The Dutch newspapers were full of how naive Celtic played - a mistake Dutch teams have made VERY often in the past - and how lucky they were. Though I think 'lucky' is a bit exaggerated, they should be happy the weren't playing Dortmund, München or Hamburg!

To sum it up - I was stunned at first by how they relaxed way too early but I was pleasantly suprised by how they managed to organise themselves on time and see they weren't there YET!

And now Liverpool! :cool: I will DEFINITELY be watching that game!!

hehe...aaahhhh....Belgian beer....gimmegimme:fero:

As for the 'tic I thought they thought it was all over too early as well. OK Alan Thompson was of the pitch for their first goal and none of the other players noticed till it was too late, hence the unmarked German at the back post. But I was more dissapointed that we didn't go for the kill at 3-1 up. We withdrew deep and let the Germans come at us. When will we learn:frown:

Anyway, if we don't get past Liverpool then that's still ok. We've made progress again this year and maybe next year we'll learn that little bit more and make a big impact . Who knows?:angel:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

You must like Celtic a lot to put yourself through that ordeal.. ;)
The first leg is on Channel 5 (Do you get that in the Netherlands?)...and the second on Auntie Beeb.

What an atmosphere it will be....my heart will be pounding and my legs wobbling...big time football at Celtic Park again.

Talking about atmosphere I was well impressed by the Amsterdam ArenA during the Ajax-Arsenal match...that looked superb:eek:

Shame about the football:D only kidding

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
If Liverpool can beat a strong ManU 2-0 then to be realistic I think they'll be a wee bit strong for the Celtic. :down:
Liverpool are set up to beat big teams. They'll have to scrap with Celtic, and while I think they should be favourites to win the match, they will have a fight on their hands. So long as MON neutralises Owen, Liverpool will struggle. And Martain O'Neill is no fool.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
You are so wise sensi:D

I condecend to your enthusiasm oh mighty Father Ted:angel:

I'm not writing the Bhoys off...oh no. Just stating that the bookies money...which is rarely wrong...is on the Mighty Reds:frown:

But lets hope MON gets his tactics right this time mikhail;)

Owen could be the key man. Balde may have his work cut out for him:devil:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

You know, all the talk here was how Lazio weren't giving any respect to Wisla by playing their "reserves".
I think they got the fright of their life's when they saw how strong Wisla were. At 1-0 I thought here we go, a major scalp for Poland, but then Lazio fought back well.

Tel me...is it true that when the original game was cancelled Wisla was so upset that they played a game against a team of amatuers who wore the Lazio strips that they had swapped after the first game, just to prove that the pitch wasn't as bad as the (Scottish) ref said it was?:confused:
Well Lazio thought that that will be two easy wins, and after first match they realised that not quite.
I think that Wisła must buy a new goalkeeper - Hughes was the most hesitant part of that team.

And about your question: that's not quite the truth. They played kind of match, rather training cause there were many fans on the stadium and they wanted to play for them and yes to prove that pitch wasn't as bad as res said. But they play with each other, no way with amatuers. And half of the team wore for some time Juve shirts from first game: they sealed names and logo on the shirts.
Not good idea though IMO.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
If Liverpool can beat a strong ManU 2-0 then to be realistic I think they'll be a wee bit strong for the Celtic. :down:
Yes ... well ... nobody would have thought Ajax would make it to the CL second group phase as well so you never know!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'd vote for the CL this year. Real Madrid v A.C. Milan will be a great match. Pity I'm going to have to tape it. Similarly, Arsenal's group is wide open - everyone can still qualify.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
actually i think UEFA sometimes izza bit more exciting..more thrashings and more high-scorin games than in CL...but both are so much more dull compared to the Serie A! ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Go Celtic!

I live with a Liverpool fan and a Celtic fan - this evening's going to be fun. :D

Liverpool are justifiably favourites, but O'Neill will prepair his team well, and I hope for an upset.

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #219
    Good to know that Lazio won in the UEFA Cup (1-0) .. now they need to finish off the job in Turkey .. and it's not going to be an easy task !!

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #220
    Celtic and Liverpool drew 1-1 in their UEFA Cup quarter-final first leg at Parkhead on Thursday, but the game was marred by an incident towards the end in which Liverpool's Senegalese forward El Hadji Diouf was seen to spit at the Celtic fans.

The two teams have strong links off the pitch and the match was generally played in a marvellous spirit, both on the pitch and in the stands.

But five minutes from time Diouf ended up close to a section of Celtic fans, one of whom patted him on the head in a seemingly innocuous gesture. Diouf reacted by spitting towards the fans, who were not impressed. The young striker, who signed for Liverpool from Lens in a €15 million move last summer, is likely to face severe action from UEFA.

Diouf was roundly booed by the home fans whenever he touched the ball before he was spared any further abuse by manager Gerard Houllier, who substituted him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)