The UEFA Cup Thread (11 Viewers)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
This is a real shame.:frown:
I saw something during the match but didn't realise he had spat at the young bhoy as I was too far away. It wasn't pleasant but worse thing they say happen at sea.
To me it's a ten minute wonder, lets just let it go and get on with life.
With War in Iraq looming and poverty rife throughout the world it really doesn't seem all that important:down:
Lets focus on the football Juventini:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Porto, Celtic and Lazio made it :cool:

Congrats, Bryan! Though we probably won't see you for a while as I'm concerned you'd be so drunk you wouldn't find your way home... :D

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
RRRRRRROoooooooovvverbhoy is hereeee. HHHeee hhheee.
I just can't believe this,this is the best night I can remember in football for over twenty years.........and yes.......I'm pretty p***sed on Stella Artioooooooo.hic.

I'm slightly ashamed of myself. I didn't think Celtic could do. I should have had faith.

Celtic in the semi's....Juve in the Qrters.............oh what a night for me.............I'm just so happy everyone.:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That Hartson goal looked like a lucky strike. Well at first anyway, what a brilliant piece of skill!!! :eek::cool:

Bryan, in the best interest of Celtic: stay the hell away from Porto :scared:

And a million thanks for dumping yet another EPL team out of Europe, very VERY well done!! :thumb::thumb::star:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
You know...Porto scare me...from first hand experience...last year in the CL..they gave us a horrid time...however..this is a Celtic team coming of age...I would prefer not to play Porto....

but if Juve were playing them would our fans show fear...NNNOOO!

All teams at this stage are formidable...personally I would prefer Lazio...not because I think they are easy...but because I want to test my team against the best.....

I don't think we will win this trophy.... I'll just settle for a little respect, not much....just a little.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From my fav...the BBC

Hartson the key

By Alan Hansen
BBC Sport football expert

The best player on the pitch, according to Alan Hansen ?

When you consider what John Hartson went through against Rangers in the CIS Insurance Cup final last Sunday - missing a crucial penalty in the final minute - his performance was incredible.

He was the best player on the pitch.

He was strong, always a threat and he never hid - and he scored a magnificent second goal!

Match report: Liverpool 0-2 Celtic

Emile Heskey should have a look at that performance from Hartson - because Heskey is a better player than Hartson.

But it's a magnificent performance from Celtic - you can't get away from that.

In difficult circumstances, similar to when they played Blackburn earlier in the season at Ewood Park, they have produced a decisive performance which serves as a tribute to their manager Martin O'Neill.

Celtic now have a great chance in the Uefa Cup - they've beaten Blackburn, they've beaten Liverpool, they can beat anyone.

Photos from Anfield

As for Liverpool, in the second-half they had the Steven Gerrard chance but basically they ran out of ideas.

The heads went down and they never looked like getting back into the game.

Time and time again you come to Anfield and see Liverpool having to chase something and they really struggle to do it.

Perhaps the only controversy was Celtic's first goal, which came directly from a free-kick.

It definitely wasn't a free kick - television replays showed the ball played into Henrik Larsson, with Djimi Traore behind him.

There was no contact whatsoever and the referee should not have given a free-kick.

Nevertheless, it was an exceptional Celtic performance.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
And a million thanks for dumping yet another EPL team out of Europe, very VERY well done!! :thumb::thumb::star:

Only one EPL team left now....and one SPL team left:D

Did you know the Scottish Champ go straight into the CL group stages in 2004/2005 as a result of this result???????

Not bad for a country of 5 million:cheesy:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
You know...Porto scare me...from first hand experience...last year in the CL..they gave us a horrid time...however..this is a Celtic team coming of age...I would prefer not to play Porto....
But you see, this is where the problem is... Porto isn't Porto of last year, it's a Porto on steroids who in contrast with last year is leading the league by a whooping 13 pts and have just about destroyed every opponent so far in the UEFA Cup, with the exception of Panathinaikos, that one was more balanced. I'm pretty confident that if it were the CL, they would be in the quarter finals by now.

Otherwise Porto has been known to be a good team, hard to beat. But that's it. It's this particular Porto that's really intimidating IMO. Real Madrid on a smaller scale if you will. :)

That first goal? Yeah it was a foul.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Only one EPL team left now....and one SPL team left:D
And if things work out and ManU get Real, there'll be zero teams in the semis ;):cool:

Did you know the Scottish Champ go straight into the CL group stages in 2004/2005 as a result of this result???????

Not bad for a country of 5 million:cheesy:
That's a great result, congrats! :thumb:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Thats why I want Lazio....hehe:D

However read this:-

Celtic brush aside Liverpool

Liverpool 0-2 Celtic (Celtic win 3-1 on aggregate)

Hartson was a constant menace to the Liverpool defence

Celtic sent Liverpool crashing out of the Uefa Cup with a convincing victory at Anfield.

An Alan Thompson free-kick and a stunning strike from John Hartson secured a relatively comfortable passage for Martin O'Neill's side into the semi-finals.

It was another lacklustre display from a Liverpool side who are left with little to play for in a disappointing season.

After a 1-1 draw in Scotland, Celtic knew they needed to come out and attack from the off and they were more than willing to do so.

Liverpool's Dietmar Hamann went close in the early stages with a vicious shot after Vladimir Smicer had dummied a Danny Murphy corner.

But Celtic were soon on the offensive with Thompson intercepting a stray Hamann pass in a dangerous area before shooting over.

Henrik Larsson curled a free-kick from 30 yards that Jerzy Dudek acrobatically turned around the post.

Larsson's strike partner Hartson was a constant menace for the Liverpool defence and he was just off target with two headers.

Key moments
23 mins: Heskey blazes wide after being set up by Owen
45 mins: Thompson scores from a free-kick on the stroke of half-time
81 mins: Hartson secures the win with a stunning strike

He nodded just over from a Paul Lambert free-kick before heading wide from a fine driven cross by Larsson.

The home side had their chances, with Emile Heskey slicing well wide from close range after a brilliant run from Michael Owen.

Steven Gerrard went even closer with a fine strike from well outside the area that Rab Douglas did well to parry out for a corner.

But for much of the opening period Liverpool looked content to sit back and absorb the pressure, knowing a 0-0 draw would be good enough.

But that was always likely to be a dangerous game against side who went into the tie having scored in their previous 49 outings.

It was little surprise when they made it 50 on the stroke of half-time when Thompson scored from a free-kick.

I missed an important penalty on Sunday so hopefully that goal tonight made up for that a bit.

It was a decent effort from the former Bolton winger, but there will be questions asked of the Liverpool wall for allowing the shot to slide underneath them and past a stranded Dudek.

Larsson could have added a second when he was one-on-one with the keeper, but Jamie Carragher got back well to deflect his first effort and the Swede's second attempt was wide of the mark.

Gerrard was superbly put through by Owen but with just Douglas to beat the midfielder fired straight at the keeper.

Dudek had to be at his best to tip over as Larsson again threatened from a corner.

But he could do little about Hartson's late strike that made sure of the win and a place in the semis at the expense of their English rivals.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

And if things work out and ManU get Real, there'll be zero teams in the semis ;):cool:

That's a great result, congrats! :thumb:

I'm not anti English....but pro Scottish....I just want us to do well...any Scottish team....just Like Erik with his support of all Dutch team irrespective of who!

But...............................................................................................................................I won't loose sleep if there are no English teams in Europe this year after the semi's:cool:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
It's just good to be a Celtic fan and a Juve fan at this moment.......leave me in peace everyone to enjoy this unique moment.....................aaaaahhhhhhhhh:cool:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Bryan, I saw your post in the pooler forum just now and I think we're battling the same issues, my friend. In Norway the English teams, above all ManU, is made up to be some kind of special phenomenon, world reference and whatnot, which severly bugs those of us who do not subscribe to that narrow mindedness. And when it happens the Englanders are dropped like bad tomatoes, it's hardly even mentioned. In contrast, triumph is celebrated in great fashion, press makes a real meal out of it.

And when your Celtic kicks pool to the curb at their own ground, the only recognition you will receive is "we didn't play so well, we were unlucky, we would have beaten them any other day".

Sound familiar? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)