The UEFA Cup Thread (12 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
It just doesn't make sense Martin.
French teams play with great flare and ability. Why is it they just never seem to manage to pass the final hurdle?

Incidently...is the forum back to nornal now?
If there's one thing that's not part of French soccer culture it's the tradition of winning. And if you follow the league for a couple of seasons you will spot the reason: a complete inexistence of consistency. Nantes win the league, next year they are fighting for relegation. Monaco did the same once Puel left and Deschamps took over. Marseille were almost relegated for both sporting and financial reasons, now redemption has finally come and they could well win a long awaited trophy this year despite having a great squad for years.

But in Europe it's even worse. The league standard in France is high IMO, better than Germany and definitely should be competitive with the best English teams. But there is little experience, no consistency, mostly just talent. Lyon reached the 2nd Group Stage last year, beat Bayern 3-0 at one point. This year they were inches for qualifying but messed up their two last games even though they were well on their way before that. The same Lyon that beat Inter at San Siro went on to be eliminated by a mid table club from Turkey in the UEFA Cup... If that's not complacency I don't know what is.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Uefa Cup review...courtesy of my fav BBC

Three goals in nine minutes helped Besiktas advance to the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup at the expense of Slavia Prague.
The Turkish side trailed 1-0 from the first leg, but Daniel Pancu put them on level terms when he scored four minutes before half-time.

Besiktas took hold of the tie in the 61st minute through Ronaldo Guiaro before Ahmet Dursun added a third goal five minutes later.

Ilhan Mansiz looked to have sealed the victory three minutes later when he gave them a 4-0 lead on the night and a 4-1 advantage overall.

But they had to survive a late onslaught from Slavia Prague with goals from Richard Dostalek in the 77th minute and Tomas Hrdlicka seven minutes later.

The Czech side looked to have stolen the tie when they had the ball in the back of the net in the first minute of added time, but it was ruled out for offside.

Besiktas will have to wait to find out their opponents in the last eight as Lazio's fourth-round tie at Wisla Krakow was postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Bad weather in Poland left Wisla's pitch in an icy state and the Italian giants, who were held to a 3-3 draw at home in the first leg, indictaed they would rather not play the game.

A goal seven minutes from time by Fernando Avalos saw Boavista into the last eight on away goals at the expense of Hertha Berlin in an action-packed encounter.

Both sides were already down to 10 men when Argentinian defender scored with a header from a corner to help the Portuguese side overcome a 3-2 deficit from the first-leg in Germany

The goal sparked a spectaular punch-up between players and staff from both teams which halted the game for more than five minutes.

Police ran onto the pitch to break up the fights, and riot squads were deployed along the touchline.

A first-half goal from striker Antonio Sanchez gave Malaga a narrow 1-0 aggregate victory over AEK Athens in Greece.

Sanchez struck in the 27th minute after a near post cross evaded AEK goalkeeper Dionysis Hiotis.

The home side pushed forward after the break and Kizito Musampa almost scored a second for Malaga after a swift break.

Panathinaikos had two players sent-off and had to survive a fightback from Anderlecht before scraping through with a 3-2 aggregate victory.

The Greek side led 3-0 from the first leg, but were put on the back foot when Leonidas Volkolis was dismissed two minutes before half-time for a second yellow card.

Nenad Jestrovic put the Belgians ahead on the night on 71 minutes and grabbed a second 10 minutes later to set up a grandstand finale.

Panathinaikos were reduced to nine men with five minutes left when Pantelis Konstantinidis was ordered off, but Anderlecht could not force a third goal to take the tie into extra-time.

They will play Porto after they were 8-3 winners on aggregate over Denizlispor.

The Turkish side managed to salvage some pride with a 2-2 draw, but could not stop the Portuguese side going through.

Porto, who were 6-1 winners in the first-leg, went ahead two minutes before half-time through striker Derlei Silva.

Denizlispor responded with two goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half to lead 2-1, before Porto had the last word three minutes from time through Brazilian striker Clayton.

Celtic lost 3-2 in Stuttgart but go through 5-4 on aggregate.

Match report: Stuttgart 3-2 Celtic

The Scottish team took a 2-0 lead after Alan Thomspon and Chris Sutton scored twice in three minutes.

Stuttgart mounted a valiant comeback and scored through Christian Tiffert, Aleksander Hleb and Michael Mutzel but it was not enough to take them through.

They will face Liverpool in an all-British quarter-final after Gerard Houllier's side beat Auxerre 2-0 at Anfield.

Match report: Liverpool 2-0 Auxerre

Michael Owen scored the opening goal midway through the second half to tie Ian Rush's European goalscoring record for the Reds.

Danny Murphy added the second as Liverpool went through 3-0 on aggregate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uefa Cup quarter-final ties

Malaga (Spain) v Boavista (Portugal)
Besiktas (Turkey) v Lazio (Italy) or Wisla Krakow (Poland)
Celtic (Scotland) v Liverpool (England)
Porto (Portugal) v Panathinaikos (Greece)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

If there's one thing that's not part of French soccer culture it's the tradition of winning. And if you follow the league for a couple of seasons you will spot the reason: a complete inexistence of consistency. Nantes win the league, next year they are fighting for relegation. Monaco did the same once Puel left and Deschamps took over. Marseille were almost relegated for both sporting and financial reasons, now redemption has finally come and they could well win a long awaited trophy this year despite having a great squad for years.

But in Europe it's even worse. The league standard in France is high IMO, better than Germany and definitely should be competitive with the best English teams. But there is little experience, no consistency, mostly just talent. Lyon reached the 2nd Group Stage last year, beat Bayern 3-0 at one point. This year they were inches for qualifying but messed up their two last games even though they were well on their way before that. The same Lyon that beat Inter at San Siro went on to be eliminated by a mid table club from Turkey in the UEFA Cup... If that's not complacency I don't know what is.

Every time I watch French footie I am impressed by the all round technical ability of even the mid table teams. I agree that the standard is higher than Germany as I also see a lot of the BL on Sky. It is more sophisticated and less physical.
On the subject of loosing to so called "lesser league teams" well I'm a Celtic man and know all about that over the years.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Unless Lazio turn on the heat which I don't expect, I definitely see Porto lifting the trophy this season. They have been magnificent in their league campaign, now leading Benfica by 10 points! Being regular CL contenders, they have shown similar form in Europe, beating every opposition by many goals.

Btw, it looks like all German teams are eliminated from both cups, the world is a beatufil place today :cool:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Why not?
Apart from from some poor finishing you could already be in the quarter finals...I would be confident if my team had drawn 3-3 with a top Italian team and still had home advantage to come.

Forza Wisla:D
Yes, in the end they wasted too much chances.

Forza Wisła :D

And good luck Celtic, let better win :)

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Unless Lazio turn on the heat which I don't expect, I definitely see Porto lifting the trophy this season. They have been magnificent in their league campaign, now leading Benfica by 10 points! Being regular CL contenders, they have shown similar form in Europe, beating every opposition by many goals.

Btw, it looks like all German teams are eliminated from both cups, the world is a beatufil place today :cool:
:extatic:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I wouldn't even attempt to describe tonights result...especially with the amount of Belgium Beer in me
:thumb: What brand? Was it Palm? :lick: :drool:

Anyways, impressive from Stuttgart :undecide: I watched the match on German television (yes, we get that :groan::D) and I really didn't think that Stuttgart would be able to make a comeback like that! I mean, it's only Stuttgart ... not Bayern or anything...

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Brand?....you got to be kidding.
I just asked the local supermarket to give me some Belgium nectar 'cause Erik told me it was good.
I can't even remember how many bottles I had..hic.:confused:

Anyway. It's Lazio in the next round. Unlucky to the Poles, they did very well this year. They'll be even stronger next year in the CL? :cheesy:

Erik, what did you think of Celtic in the Stuttgart game? Strong to begin with but lost concentraction in the last 15?
Stuttgart did well to come back and they gave me an uncomfortable last 15 minutes but at 5-1 after the first quarter of an hour I expected the Bhoys to go on and win comfortably. It wasn't to be but they are through against Liverpool:cool:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
...Celtic in the Stuttgart game? Strong to begin with but lost concentraction in the last 15?
Stuttgart did well to come back and they gave me an uncomfortable last 15 minutes but at 5-1 after the first quarter of an hour I expected the Bhoys to go on and win comfortably. It wasn't to be but they are through against Liverpool:cool:
When you're 5-1 up, including 2 away goals, it's pretty hard to play as if you really care. I mean, what are the chances of letting in 5?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Anyway. It's Lazio in the next round. Unlucky to the Poles, they did very well this year. They'll be even stronger next year in the CL? :cheesy:
I hope Roverbhoy :cheesy:

After watching these tho matches I can say one thing: actually they"lost" in Rome - lost whole chance to qualify. They played much better in Rome, they had better chances to score and they didn't use that chance there.
Yesterday Lazio played their strongest players and additionally they were mad after last week's events.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Brand?....you got to be kidding.
I just asked the local supermarket to give me some Belgium nectar 'cause Erik told me it was good.
I can't even remember how many bottles I had..hic.:confused:
Oh dear ... oh dear oh dear... :D

Erik, what did you think of Celtic in the Stuttgart game? Strong to begin with but lost concentraction in the last 15?
They seemed to have forgotten they were playing against Germans! At a certain point, I could see they 'thought it was all over', to use some famous words ;) And they almost crashed and burned there! The Dutch newspapers were full of how naive Celtic played - a mistake Dutch teams have made VERY often in the past - and how lucky they were. Though I think 'lucky' is a bit exaggerated, they should be happy the weren't playing Dortmund, München or Hamburg!

To sum it up - I was stunned at first by how they relaxed way too early but I was pleasantly suprised by how they managed to organise themselves on time and see they weren't there YET!

And now Liverpool! :cool: I will DEFINITELY be watching that game!!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ally ] ++

I hope Roverbhoy :cheesy:

After watching these tho matches I can say one thing: actually they"lost" in Rome - lost whole chance to qualify. They played much better in Rome, they had better chances to score and they didn't use that chance there.
Yesterday Lazio played their strongest players and additionally they were mad after last week's events.
You know, all the talk here was how Lazio weren't giving any respect to Wisla by playing their "reserves".
I think they got the fright of their life's when they saw how strong Wisla were. At 1-0 I thought here we go, a major scalp for Poland, but then Lazio fought back well.

Tel me...is it true that when the original game was cancelled Wisla was so upset that they played a game against a team of amatuers who wore the Lazio strips that they had swapped after the first game, just to prove that the pitch wasn't as bad as the (Scottish) ref said it was?:confused:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

When you're 5-1 up, including 2 away goals, it's pretty hard to play as if you really care. I mean, what are the chances of letting in 5?
Maybe something in this, but in Europe you can't loose respect for any team at any time or else you find yourself on the plane home with a boot in the bum to go with it.
Still, the Bhoys march on...at least to Liverpool anyway.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)