The truth about Beijing Olympics (2 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
but i like China,ok?
By China, you mean the people, region, culture, etc?

If so then you don't have to defend its government, as most people are able to distinguish between the two. It's the same here in America, I love my country, but I think it's government could be a lot better.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Too bad its not only Americans protesting Chinese occupation of Tibet.

When will you finally figure out that Americans don't necessarily agree with the policies of their government?;)
I have said nothing about American people, but the American government does much more horrible things than what the Chinese governement did all those years...

American people and other Western people may protest the Tibet case because of good intentions, but these protests are used badly by the Western media to show that people in the West criticize China AND ARE SATISFIED WITH what their governments do thousands of miles far away...

OP
fender06

fender06

Sep 16, 2006
  • Thread Starter #24
    By China, you mean the people, region, culture, etc?

If so then you don't have to defend its government, as most people are able to distinguish between the two. It's the same here in America, I love my country, but I think it's government could be a lot better.
    i don't like the gov but like the people and culture.
    Now many Chinese just like me feel great shame and angry on what some western people/media did. Tibet trouble is only an excuse for them to against China. If they really spend time on reading history of Tibet and chat with local Tibetans, they may regret on what they said. Sorry for my poor English, i speak here only want u know that the story is not as simple as TV shown.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Now many Chinese just like me feel great shame and angry on what some western people/media did. Tibet trouble is only an excuse for them to against China. If they really spend time on reading history of Tibet and chat with local Tibetans, they may regret on what they said. Sorry for my poor English, i speak here only want u know that the story is not as simple as TV shown.
    Not something you should apologize for. Nobody has a problem with your English.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I have said nothing about American people, but the American government does much more horrible things than what the Chinese governement did all those years...

American people and other Western people may protest the Tibet case because of good intentions, but these protests are used badly by the Western media to show that people in the West criticize China AND ARE SATISFIED WITH what their governments do thousands of miles far away...
    It's really a stretch to say that the Western media's portrayal of Tibet protesters shows a link to satisfaction with one's government.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Indeed, there are always two sides to every story. Given that, I really don't know much about the situation other than a major country occupies a lesser country. Perhaps you could post some sort of history of the situation to enlighten us all? I'm sure many here would find it helpful in understanding what is going on.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    For the past few weeks I've been kinda bothered with China hosting the games but then my rational side kicked in and I came to the following epiphany's:

1. it’s the olympics and I personally couldn't care less about them, because I don’t watch nor care.
    2. just like everything else in this world >> its all about the money. Human rights/political agenda's and issues have been and will always be a backseat issue when $$$ are at stake.

Something else came to mind when I was wondering about the olympic committee's selection of china as the host this year. I think tehran was a finalist a few years back for the 2004 games if I'm not mistake yet no one made a ruckus about them and their political/human rights issues when they were being considered. Obviously they were not selected because of the lack of potential revenue they would generate but that topic still had to come into mind.

Lets not get worked up over the olympics fellas

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    For the past few weeks I've been kinda bothered with China hosting the games but then my rational side kicked in and I came to the following epiphany's:

1. it’s the olympics and I personally couldn't care less about them, because I don’t watch nor care.
    2. just like everything else in this world >> its all about the money. Human rights/political agenda's and issues have been and will always be a backseat issue when $$$ are at stake.

Something else came to mind when I was wondering about the olympic committee's selection of china as the host this year. I think tehran was a finalist a few years back for the 2004 games if I'm not mistake yet no one made a ruckus about them and their political/human rights issues when they were being considered. Obviously they were not selected because of the lack of potential revenue they would generate but that topic still had to come into mind.

Lets not get worked up over the olympics fellas
    I like some of the events. It's always fun to see how the football turns out and I have to admit I watch some Track and Field. But Dru hit the nail on the head, its all about revenue. And China is a cash cow right now as far as money to be made.

OP
    fender06

fender06

Sep 16, 2006
  • Thread Starter #30
    Indeed, there are always two sides to every story. Given that, I really don't know much about the situation other than a major country occupies a lesser country. Perhaps you could post some sort of history of the situation to enlighten us all? I'm sure many here would find it helpful in understanding what is going on.
    these two videos are enough to tell the truth

the truth also includes that the Chinese gov had damaged Tibetans' culture in the so called Culture Revolution (1966–76). In fact, much Chinese heritage not only the Tibetans were destroyed. In recent year, Tibet develops very quickly and people's living standard have improved a lot. It's mainly because of the construction of the railway system. Before this, Tibet is extremely difficult to access and the economic development was slow. Some Tibetans think that their culture is "polluted" and they are not happy about this. But on the other hand, they are happy to gain $$ and improvements on their lives.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    these two videos are enough to tell the truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0AkE7RMOHw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2vYB7fPHHw&feature=related

the truth also includes that the Chinese gov had damaged Tibetans' culture in the so called Culture Revolution (1966–76). In fact, much Chinese heritage not only the Tibetans were destroyed. In recent year, Tibet develops very quickly and people's living standard have improved a lot. It's mainly because of the construction of the railway system. Before this, Tibet is extremely difficult to access and the economic development was slow. Some Tibetans think that their culture is "polluted" and they are not happy about this. But on the other hand, they are happy to gain $$ and improvements on their lives.
    Thanks for the info.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Dude, shut the fuck up. The Olympics should never have gone to China. The country is a travesty and it's only because it's so damn powerful no one is doing anything about it. And don't get me started on Tibet. Seriously, you indoctrinated fuck. What on earth are you blabbing about?
    Seven, has no one ever taught you not to say anything if you don't have anything nice to say?

OP
    fender06

fender06

Sep 16, 2006
  • Thread Starter #33
    actually, the Tibetans that have the biggest voice are from the rich, the nobilities, the religious and the lamas. Does any body hear the poor class and peasants who are the silent majority and benefit from the Chinese government minority policies? before they worked like slaves for the rich, the powerful and the lamas. Their minds were controlled by religion not to complain.

The media reports selectively. When did you see a good report about ordinary life of common Tibetans, whether their lives fare better or worse than ten or twenty years ago, or for that matter sixty years ago when they were ruled by the lamas.

about the truth of the recent riot, TV in Europe/US may not these

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Seven, has no one ever taught you not to say anything if you don't have anything nice to say?
    What the fuck is this? Are you serious? On an issue like this, you come up with this?

If you were being sarcastic it was funny as hell though.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Good posts posts and vids Fender (though at the beginning, I agree with the others, you dont need to defend the oppressive govt to say how things really are).

Regarding the sovereignity of Tibet and China, one can criticise the apalling and brutal human rights record in China in general, but the funny thing is the west doesnt stop at that crucial point. But they act like Tibet isnt a region and minority people as all of the other gazilion different regions and groups in China. The unnecessary propoganda is weird. I remember in High school doing a piece on Tibet with classmates, our temp teacher acted all weird and bothered we said Tibet is a region of china, and has more sovereignity then most modern and previously conquerored places in the west (most of the attitude of our fellow students was like her, that Tibet some own country that was recently stolen or something, but they atleast accepted the info when they got it).

She was trying to argue against us despite the fact the history books we used said Tibet have never been a country, just taken in force by the brits in 1900 and handed back 50 years later. She was one weird hippy like temp teacher...Told our regular teacher about her and he said I dont know where they get these people :D

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    and how about the U.S? they illegally occupied other countries and made stories telling people where terrorists are and they have to kill them to keep the world peace.

tell me how much u know about China?
    do u think China is a copy of the USSR, Cuba , North Korea?
    do u think many Chinese are still facing famine and people will be killed suddenly by secret police?

I am from Hong Kong, but not China. I am not defending the Chinese gov should keep the current polices about human rights.But China isn't that bad as what u think at all:lol:
    i am from chicago but not the USA...

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    That's not really accurate, mate...

The Western reporters are there in Iraq, but they still do not spread anything but lies.
    That is different, I believe there is an agenda to try and not make the US and UK look too bad in Iraq.

I don't think there is an anti-China agenda.

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
    I moved to China 3 months ago, and having lived on "both sides" have really put things into perspective for me.
    In all honesty I get angry when I read CNN or danish news channels. The hypocrisy is really obvious once you know both sides of something.
    I'm going to write something most people here already knows; There's no black and white in this world (except Juve).
    Chinese news channels are just as bad or worse, but I was really disappointed in "western media" (sorry, I know it's a big category) I always thought they were better.

People who, when I lived in Europe seemed so on top of things and insightful, now sound like drones controlled by mainstream media. I won't say the chinese government is universially good for everyone, but so far the things I've seen in China (I work at a very poor school) tells me the positives outway the negatives.

As for Tibet, I won't write aobut that country's history, but people should really do some more homework before they demand it's independence.

OP
    fender06

fender06

Sep 16, 2006
  • Thread Starter #39
    I moved to China 3 months ago, and having lived on "both sides" have really put things into perspective for me.
    In all honesty I get angry when I read CNN or danish news channels. The hypocrisy is really obvious once you know both sides of something.
    I'm going to write something most people here already knows; There's no black and white in this world (except Juve).
    Chinese news channels are just as bad or worse, but I was really disappointed in "western media" (sorry, I know it's a big category) I always thought they were better.

People who, when I lived in Europe seemed so on top of things and insightful, now sound like drones controlled by mainstream media. I won't say the chinese government is universially good for everyone, but so far the things I've seen in China (I work at a very poor school) tells me the positives outway the negatives.

As for Tibet, I won't write aobut that country's history, but people should really do some more homework before they demand it's independence.
    thanks mate! you tell the truth !
    when some westerners teased the Chinese are brainwashed
    nobody realizes that they may also be brainwashed by their famous professional media on the issues about China. What they know about China are mostly came from media. I am not saying that all Western media are making stories to destroy China's image, but from recent Tibet trouble, CNN/NBC really disappointed me

the right one is the original one, but CNN just cut part of it
    and u guys can see the difference

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Both parties lie and use propaganda, esp when worlds domination is at stake!
    US feels the need to control every single conflict in the world and keep her direct opponents busy.
    The Chinese leaders are busy enough to control the half population of the earth anyway. You cant do that without great sacrifices.
    But the more the ppl you control, the more difficult it becomes to keep the balance. The less space is left for personal interest.
    US is a young nation and has a lot to learn from the Chinese...
    The Chinese dont need to use brutal force anymore, their great influence is sufficient to suffocate their adversaries. They cannot intimidate or be intimidated by external forces easily. But when they are playing on their field, they are unstoppable.

I am confident that they will make the best Olympics ever!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)