The Tablet Thread (3 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
sitrep: The tablet is quite okay for reading. In fact, I've read a good 10 papers on it, so it's doing its job well. Although the pdf viewer app I have supports annotations I don't use them cause they're pretty impractical. There is also no particularly good way to quickly navigate to a different part of a pdf to look at figures, the appendix etc. Basically, it's worse than a computer. But still quite good.

In all other things it's basically worse than a computer. Instead of having a keyboard + a mouse with 3 buttons and a scrollwheel it's like having only a mouse with a single button. Copy pasting a url from Chrome into Gmail to send to someone is a lot of work. Typing on the on-screen keyboard is slow and error prone. Browsing the web is mostly okay, but clicking on links, switching between tabs etc is slower. Pretty much everything is slower, which just encourages me to wait until I'm back at a computer and read more papers instead. :xfinger:

Also, the screen keeps dimming after a few seconds in all apps except ezpdf. In spite of any screen brightness settings. It's really annoying. If anyone knows how to fix that I'm all ears.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I was waiting for the Xperia Z tablet and they have priced it waaaaaaaaaay out of my reach. Almost $800 for it and there's no WiFi only version. I'm so close to jumping to the dark side (again) because there is no Android alternative in the 10.1 bracket worth buying.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
I've officially gone over to the dark side. And I think I made a big fucking mistake :(
@Dru, what should I do to make this thing usable? Does jailbreaking help in any way?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
:lol2: I held one yesterday, the feel is good but I immediately thought of how terrible everything else is. I think I will buy the 8 inch note.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I've officially gone over to the dark side. And I think I made a big $#@!ing mistake :(
@Dru, what should I do to make this thing usable? Does jailbreaking help in any way?
Jailbreaking is the way to see its full potential. It gives you so many new options: customizing and new free apps/black markets being the the most important.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
Don't laugh at my misery :(
:lol2: I held one yesterday, the feel is good but I immediately thought of how terrible everything else is. I think I will buy the 8 inch note.
I really like how smooth everything is, but smoothness without features is useless really... You should check the Xperia Tablet Z... If it wasn't insanely expensive here I'd have bought that without a second thought.
Jailbreaking is the way to see its full potential. It gives you so many new options: customizing and new free apps/black markets being the the most important.
:tup: I hate that I can't customise the current brick :D. Jail breaking it is!

enzo

May 14, 2012
I'm waiting for the 2nd gen Nexus 7. My girl got the first generation, it just works fine. Beside that, I'm used to stock android since I got my Nexus 4 and just don't want the hassle with all the roms.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Don't laugh at my misery :(

I really like how smooth everything is, but smoothness without features is useless really... You should check the Xperia Tablet Z... If it wasn't insanely expensive here I'd have bought that without a second thought.

:tup: I hate that I can't customise the current brick :D. Jail breaking it is!
Jailbreak it, download Zeusmos and you'll love the machine :tup:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Well nowdays almost all tablets are as smooth and responsive even my two year old, child terrorized, totally hacked Xoom is as smooth as silk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)