The spotlight is on.... Milan (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Here's an article from Gazzetta on Milan's campaign this year, translated by Payman at Xtratime stolen by moi. I thought we would make this thread to keep an eye on the Milanisti and follow their progress.

===

The run streak of the Rossoneri is underligned by a few numbers. One among all: the 30 points earned so far away from the San Siro, new record of the Serie A.

A triumphal march. Or something very similar. Might still be a bit early but the rythm imposed by Milan is really scary. A matter of numbers and stats to put one after another. Let us start with the numbers in front of the eyes of everyone: 58 points ( after 23 games, no team had ever made so many points since the Serie A moved to the 3 points rule) 18 wins, 4 ties and 1 loss. An incredibly impressive record. What strikes the most is the number of wins away from home: out of 12 away games played, they've won 9 and tying only 3 times, for a total of 30 points (new record of the Serie A).

One loss at home against Udinese on December 21, 2003, and no loss away from the San Siro. In 2004, no loss yet, only positive results: 9 wins, 1 tie, 1-1 away to Lecce. And in these 9 wins, fundamental were the wins in Rome, 2-1 against the Giallorossi and 1-0 against the Biancocelesti and the come back during the last derby, from 0-2 to 3-2. But the stats are even more impressive: in the 2nd half, the Rossoneri have yet to lose a single point in the Serie A, scoring 31 goals in 23 games, after the results of the 1st 45 minutes.

Also, the average of point per game is a staggering 2.5 in away games, the overall average point per game is even better: 2.52, while at home, that average is 2.54! These stats say it all. However, it's not the total number of goals which is the most impressive, "only" 44 (Roma have scored 51, Juve 47), but what's worth mentionning is that the goals are coming from different sources. Other than the 17 goals from Shevchenko, who is the leading scorer in the league, Kaka with 8 goals and Tomasson with 7, other Milan players have also scored some crucial goals, such as Pancaro decisive against Brescia away, and Ambrosini, author of the splendid goal against Lazio this past sunday.

11 is a magical number, like the number of points Milan have taken over Roma in less than 2 months. Just a quick look at the standings 2 months ago, when Roma was first with 6 points clear of Milan, before Roma-Milan of January 06, 2004. 11 more points than last year at the same time for Milan. In short, a truly incredilble rythm set by Milan this season, which is even more emphasized by the fact that the Rossoneri have played in total 37 games this season, more than all the other teams in Italy. Finally, another important and impressive data: for the Ancelotti team, only 17 points are needed to equal the record of all time points reached by Roma, 75 points during the 2000/2001 season where Roma was crowed champions.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
As I said in another thread : Juve's run is not to blame. In fact Juve has one more point than they did last year at this point in the tournament. If that was enough for them to lead the table back then, it only puts them into third today. This simply highlights the extreme consistency of the two teams that are ahead of her.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    As I said in another thread : Juve's run is not to blame. In fact Juve has one more point than they did last year at this point in the tournament. If that was enough for them to lead the table back then, it only puts them into third today. This simply highlights the extreme consistency of the two teams that are ahead of her.
    I think Milan's season is all the more impressive given last year's lacklustre display. Not the full season but the Serie A finale wasn't exactly exciting. To go from that to this is remarkable, I think it's a mental issue more than anything. It's my feeling that last year they still had scars from the 4-0 drubbing in the Uefa Cup and the 4th place finish in the league the season before that. In 2002-03 they improved a lot but there was a lack of the kind mental toughness both Roma and Juve have shown in the past. This year's Milan, perhaps boosted by the fortunate CL win, have gone from strength to strength.

I could compare it to Les Bleus.. In 98 they won the World Cup as one of the best teams in the competition but they were by no means stronger than a handful of others (Brazil, Italy, Netherlands, Croatia). They were fortunate to win, let's face it you need luck to win. But after that victory, they grew a lot and by the time Euro2000 kicked off they were unequivocally a superpower and dominated the tournament completely (perhaps excluding the final).

That's how I see it.

Sc_azzurrik

Mar 1, 2004
    2martin: does this mean that rossoneri will take scudetto this time?! and u are pretty sure about it?! till now it seems like this!

having CL cup, the aim now is to win SerieA for Milan....as for juve u shuld stop thinking of it n concentrates on CL! and Coppa italia...btw

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Sc_azzurrik ] ++
    2martin: does this mean that rossoneri will take scudetto this time?! and u are pretty sure about it?! till now it seems like this!
    No, it's still wide open, we play Milan in two weeks and if we beat them the lead will be cut to 3 points, which isn't a lot with all the games left. Their form until now has been outstanding but that doesn't mean they will keep at it throughout, we'll see.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Milan deserve to be at the top for all the consistency they have shown all season. They rack in victories despite bad showings and in a good day they will simply finish off the match early on.

However, that doesn't mean we should give up, that word isn't in Juve's dictionary. We will keep fighting on until the last breath and Milan knows that. Our match against them will be extremely crucial, we need to win it at all costs. Hopefully, after that Trezeguet and Maresca will return to boost us for the other important clashes.

And if, God Forbid, we get dumped out of the Champions League against Depor we can focus on winning the double, whereas Milan worry about defending their European title.

As for Roma, they are also still there to make our mission even harder.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Very impressive for the Rossoneri.
    However, despite all that and their "greater talent" they're just 6 points ahead of Juve, who are apparently going thru indifferent form, so all in all, not bad.

Sc_azzurrik

Mar 1, 2004
    that would be great for Milan to meet Juventus in da CL final!
    i dream to see it again!!!
    till now i prayed for that!!! maybe i'm a maniac to wish such kinda rival for AC -my team, but more i wish to see all-italian final again! that only matters for me! anyway i wouldn't be upset for any outcome if juve wins n milan lose or vice versa!

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Sc_azzurrik ] ++
    that would be great for Milan to meet Juventus in da CL final!
    i dream to see it again!!!
    till now i prayed for that!!! maybe i'm a maniac to wish such kinda rival for AC -my team, but more i wish to see all-italian final again! that only matters for me! anyway i wouldn't be upset for any outcome if juve wins n milan lose or vice versa!
    another milan-juve final like last year and football will lose a lot

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    Hopefully Juve will get the spotlights at the end of the season after we hopefully win the league, Coppa, CL..

FORZA JUVE

Aug 1, 2003
    Milan has a solid team and has been playing well, they deserve to be on top (at least more than Juve do)

But football's unpredictable :) The Serie A is still wide open, and the CL hasn't reached its conclusion

However I must congratulate Milan on a what seems to be a successful season so far, I thoroughly enjoy the football they play

Forza AC Milan

Oct 2, 2002
    truly said sallyinzaghi;)
    I have to remind you one thing...if it is an off-form juve? then what means an on-form juve? :D....
    u defenetly must invest into defence as soon as the season ends!

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    u know what guys. we can say what we want but it is teams like MILAN and ROMA that have made seria A fun to watch again.
    You are working under the supposition that Serie A is fun to watch again. I disagree. Serie A always has been, and continues to be one of the most boring leagues around. Juve is the only part of it that interests me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)