The Official Tennis Thread (17 Viewers)

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Djokovic - Thiem is way better than Djokovic vs Zverev would have been. I don't know, if Thiem somehow wins this he actually has a chance at Ronald Garros as well, so would be weird if he actually won the first 2 slams of the year but that's so far from happening that shouldn't even be talked about. Only concern for me for Thiem against Djokovic is that he plays so far out and Djokovic is at his best for taking ball early and having great angles, just like he did to Nadal last year. All the returns from Thiem are so far back that it leaves the court whole open for Nole, so there's a big chance that Thiem is just returning way far and kind of playing himself out even he manages to get on the ball. They both like to play behind the baseline and not really feeling it on the net, so we are going to see alot of baseline hitting and Thiem can actually hurt Djokovic from there with the amount of power he can produce. There's a definitely a chance for Thiem, that little window but because the point starts with the serve, i think Djokovic just has better returns and better following shots so it might not be possible for Thiem to actually get behind the ball that often as he would like to so therefore, it's most likely 3-1 to Djokovic.
There is zero a chance thiem wins . Only if Djokovic gets an injury or something. Another question is if thiem is gonna manage to get a set from him. Maybe a close thought tiebreaker. That is all.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
There is zero a chance thiem wins . Only if Djokovic gets an injury or something. Another question is if thiem is gonna manage to get a set from him. Maybe a close thought tiebreaker. That is all.

There is definitely a chance..Thiem already beat Djokovic on those ATP tour finals in the end of 2019 and it was on hard courts. Thiem has actually won last 4 of 5 against Djokovic but this time it's hard court and GS.

We will see, but zero chance is just pure stupidity.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
There is definitely a chance..Thiem already beat Djokovic on those ATP tour finals in the end of 2019 and it was on hard courts. Thiem has actually won last 4 of 5 against Djokovic but this time it's hard court and GS.

We will see, but zero chance is just pure stupidity.
We will see. The big 3 on Grand slam finals are a bunch of machines . As I said zero chances without some form of injury to Djokovic.
I will never talk about tennis again if thiem beats him.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Just like my dad. When I asked him why doesn't he watches ATP his response was that he can't follow the ball , because of the speed of play.
That's not always certainly true. Women tennis players tend to hit more flat, which itselfs means ball flies way more straight so therefore, it flies faster or atleast has a potential to fly faster. There has been data that those women tennis players are sometimes averaging more km per hour on their strokes. That still doesn't mean that those shots are more heavy than what men's players are hitting just because there's way more spin included on men's strokes even with the equal or even less kmh per stroke.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
That's not always certainly true. Women tennis players tend to hit more flat, which itselfs means ball flies way more straight so therefore, it flies faster or atleast has a potential to fly faster. There has been data that those women tennis players are sometimes averaging more km per hour on their strokes. That still doesn't mean that those shots are more heavy than what men's players are hitting just because there's way more spin included on men's strokes even with the equal or even less kmh per stroke.
Well I find it boring because it is so slow . Even though we have Halep which is number 3 wta I still find it boring to watch her matches .
My father is 61 so his eyesight isn't that good anymore.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
yup, his body lost him the match. he simply ran out of steam for the last hour or so of his tournament. he was the better player for 3,5 sets though. let's hope he improves for the roland garros, clay is even more demanding than this very quick surface.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Great match by thiem. Looked in parts like prime Nadal, especially in the second and third set. Thiem played a lot of long balls that pegged Djokovic back , without them being unforced errors .
In the end as I said the big 3 are like machines in Grand slam 5 set finals. I guess mentality helps a lot .
Great match and unfortunately for thiem , that he is contemporary with these great players , because he would certainly have a few grand slams by now.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
yup, his body lost him the match. he simply ran out of steam for the last hour or so of his tournament. he was the better player for 3,5 sets though. let's hope he improves for the roland garros, clay is even more demanding than this very quick surface.
Man that's disappointing. But still Thiem did incredible and made it a close contest. It would have been nice if someone else broke into the top 3.

Nothing against Nole he's likeable off the court but can't bring myself to root for him

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Man that's disappointing. But still Thiem did incredible and made it a close contest. It would have been nice if someone else broke into the top 3.

Nothing against Nole he's likeable off the court but can't bring myself to root for him
I think that's because his tennis looks boring ,yet very effective. Almost mechanical like.
I'm surprised by how poor Djokovic's first serve was or was thiem so good at returning it?
Didn't he used to have a wrist injury back in 2017 or 2018?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)