The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (11 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
He will just be a back up, so he will fill in where necessary.

I'm sure we bought him because he is a good CB, rather than because he can play RB.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
true, but I'm interested because:

A) jury is still out on Grygera. He could be sold
B) jury is out on Sali. He could be sold as well.
C) Zebina is inconsistent and injury prone.

IF we sell Grygera, then I can see Melberg taking that RB spot away from Zebina, who is injured often. I just hope Sali is only having a bad season and he starts to produce his Bayern form. This way we can rotate Melberg with our other CBs, and keep Sali/Zbina./Grygera as our RBs

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
ßöмßäяðîëя;1598430 said:
Melberg at RB? DUDE, he's like 33....

He doesn't have the wheels anymore and he's just not THAT good.
He's 30 and still quick. Defensively he's very adept at RB, he just won't add much going forward.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
true, but I'm interested because:

A) jury is still out on Grygera. He could be sold
B) jury is out on Sali. He could be sold as well.
C) Zebina is inconsistent and injury prone.

IF we sell Grygera, then I can see Melberg taking that RB spot away from Zebina, who is injured often. I just hope Sali is only having a bad season and he starts to produce his Bayern form. This way we can rotate Melberg with our other CBs, and keep Sali/Zbina./Grygera as our RBs

I don't see either Grygera or Sali being sold this summer.

I'm confident Grygera will come good now that he seems to have properly settled in.

I'm not sure that Sali will ever regain his Bayern form, but I don't think we will replace him this summer, maybe next summer.

dao_nq

Feb 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure Mellberg will be our CB, or, even DMF next season. But I don't agree with you guys that Grygera is bad. It's a matter of fact that Gry has earned 50 Czech cap so far. Therefore, his only problem is the confidence and time needed to improve mentality and stability.

To Mellberg, I'm looking forward to seeing his debut.

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
what will happen to legro then? I'm not sure if mellberg will be superior to legro right from the start. I mean defense in serie-a is different from the epl, isn't it? I don't know really. we'll see what an impact mellberg makes, it's a good signing in any case, as a starter or as a backup

Apr 6, 2008
I really find Melberg for very useful player. I have watched him a lot of times and I found him a player who is very difficult to get through. His performances in Aston Villa are very consistent. He is very aware at the back at all but he is lacking in attack. He is not the typical wing back that Molinaro is for example. If he stays more in the back with both CB`s he will allow the other wing back to get into attack more often. He will also allow the central midfielders to get more often forward.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Mellberg eyes central role
Thursday 24 April, 2008

Olof Mellberg believes that he has been signed by Juventus to play as a centre-back, despite spending much of his final season with Aston Villa on the right.

The Swedish defender became the Bianconeri’s first signing for the 2008-09 campaign when he put pen to paper on a three-year deal in January, with his Villa contract expiring this summer.

Although both Zdenek Grygera and Jonathan Zebina have failed to nail down the right-back position this term, Mellberg doesn’t think he will be handed that role.

“I think they have signed me as a centre-half, but also with the knowledge that I can play on the right if necessary,” the 30-year-old exclusively told Football Italia.

“I started my international career with a lot of matches as a full-back, but I think Juventus know that I enjoy my game the most when I’m playing in the middle.”

Mellberg has spent the past seven years at Villa Park since arriving in the Premier League from Spanish outfit Racing Santander.

He has represented his country on 77 occasions and was named Sweden’s Player of the Year back in 2003.

-Football Italia

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
If he dosen't have the right to play for Villa in Center. Then how can he play for Juve in the middle? :disagree:
He's the best defender they have IMO, the only reason he is constantly played at RB is cos Villa must have there very own version of Molinaro sitting at RB before Melberg was put there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)