The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (3 Viewers)

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
A Villa fan here..

It's a sad day for us to see Mellberg play his last game at Villa Park, he's been a solid defender in his time with us. He's been forced to play at RB the majority of this season, mainly because we don't have a recognised RB in our squad, but he's done a very good job.

What you're getting is a very commited player who IS good enough to play in the Champions League - at least in my opinion, he is good in the air and his tackles are usually timed very well. His only downside is that he can't cross a ball, at all. But if he's going to play at CB for you, then I guess it's not a problem!

He's loved at our club and it's a sad day to see him go, but he got a fantastic send off today! I wish him, and Juventus, the best of luck!
Thanx man really appreciate it, and welcome to the forum :xmas:

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Hey, kurtsimonw and welcome. Do you by any chance have any other photos of Mellberg's last game and of the audience? I heard some people were dressed up as vikings and stuff.

Forza Kapten Skägg Para Siempre

kurtsimonw

May 3, 2008
Hey, kurtsimonw and welcome. Do you by any chance have any other photos of Mellberg's last game and of the audience? I heard some people were dressed up as vikings and stuff.

Forza Kapten Skägg Para Siempre
I don't have any pictures of my own of any of the fans dressed up, but there's some on the internet.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to put pictures on. There's a link though, I think..

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I saw Villa's game against Wigan, Valencia the young Michael Jackson copy pissed on Mellbergs good bye parade, but it was immense the legend treatment Mellberg was getting. Really cherished there.

Esteban, they had swedish flags with swedish words to thank and bless him etc.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Without any doubt he is better then Stendardo (despite how insanely hyped he is here despite few ok games). And he is 30 or 31 I think.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I didn't like his loser attitude in the game against Germany in the latest World Cup, and that will always be on my mind when I think of Olof Mellberg. But sure yeah, he's been a rock for our NT for a good amount of years now, and I do appreciate his presence. As for having him at Juve I cannot say I'm too delighted, but I wish him the best and it is my belief that he has what it takes to be a successful backup player.
I didn't like his winner attitude during the Euros of 2004. In fact he came up with some downright racist statements towards Italy.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Can't remember those statements but it wouldn't be shocking if you are correct here. Swedes in general dislike Italian manners on the football pitch. Diving, whining, cheating. You know the stereotype.

CAPITANO

58 ' SUPER SIC ' 58
Jul 12, 2006
Olof’s £50,000 thanks to fans

Olof MellbergAston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than £50,000 to ensure 3,200 fans who travelled to West Ham got specially printed shirts to mark him leaving Villa.

The Swedish international, who played his last game for Villa yesterday before joining Juventus on a free transfer this summer, had 3,200 home and away shirts printed with the message ‘Mellberg – Thanks 4 The Support’ on the back.

Villa fans were handed a free shirt on arrival at Upton Park before the 2-2 draw to end Mellberg’s stay at Villa. Many away fans were already decked out in Sweden colours, or dressed as Vikings in tribute to the long-serving defender, who spent seven seasons at the club.

He said: “This is just the perfect way to say goodbye to the fans and to thank them for all their support in my time at Villa.

“I have loved my time at the club and have had a great relationship with the fans.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/12/olof%E2%80%99s-50000-thanks-to-fans/

What a classy guy, enjoy your stay at Juve

Pingo

Oct 31, 2007
I have the filling that he is going to do great here...Maybe he is little slow but, he is great with the head, firm challenges, and well experianced...IMO, he and Chiellini could start together next season...For LB get Grosso and De Ceglie...

Zebina - Mellberg - Chiellini - Grosso

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
I have the filling that he is going to do great here...Maybe he is little slow but, he is great with the head, firm challenges, and well experianced...IMO, he and Chiellini could start together next season...For LB get Grosso and De Ceglie...

Zebina - Mellberg - Chiellini - Grosso
Have you ever seen Olof play? His pace is one of his main assets.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
you think Zapata is better than Melleberg? :disagree:...the guy is captain of Sweden, one of the better national teams in the world....sure he may not be that high-profile, but he is a quality addition to the squad!

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Olof’s £50,000 thanks to fans

Olof MellbergAston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than £50,000 to ensure 3,200 fans who travelled to West Ham got specially printed shirts to mark him leaving Villa.

The Swedish international, who played his last game for Villa yesterday before joining Juventus on a free transfer this summer, had 3,200 home and away shirts printed with the message ‘Mellberg – Thanks 4 The Support’ on the back.

Villa fans were handed a free shirt on arrival at Upton Park before the 2-2 draw to end Mellberg’s stay at Villa. Many away fans were already decked out in Sweden colours, or dressed as Vikings in tribute to the long-serving defender, who spent seven seasons at the club.

He said: “This is just the perfect way to say goodbye to the fans and to thank them for all their support in my time at Villa.

“I have loved my time at the club and have had a great relationship with the fans.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/12/olof%E2%80%99s-50000-thanks-to-fans/

What a classy guy, enjoy your stay at Juve

i really like his attitude towards football, he seems to love it and this shows what he thinks of the fans. i hope he fits in well here and plays his part.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He is actually weirdly enough, judging from the in depth reports of Swedish NT players from a while ago, one of the few footballers I have noticed that arent really football fans, but see it just as an injoyable profession. He was being asked his background on football at the same time as others, and he said he got stuck for Football because it was something he was good at, just a sport, wasnt back then so into the game, nor does he watch much of the sport now. While the others were professing the typical stories of being in love with football and being crazy about it early on and now too.

I believe Fabian Barthez is one other weirdo I heard that doesnt like football at all but sees it as a profession only, he is a rugby fan instead :p

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
A Villa fan here..

It's a sad day for us to see Mellberg play his last game at Villa Park, he's been a solid defender in his time with us. He's been forced to play at RB the majority of this season, mainly because we don't have a recognised RB in our squad, but he's done a very good job.

What you're getting is a very commited player who IS good enough to play in the Champions League - at least in my opinion, he is good in the air and his tackles are usually timed very well. His only downside is that he can't cross a ball, at all. But if he's going to play at CB for you, then I guess it's not a problem!

He's loved at our club and it's a sad day to see him go, but he got a fantastic send off today! I wish him, and Juventus, the best of luck!
:tup: Welcome and thanks for the info. Glad to see you drop by. So you rate him pretty high, I suppose? Is he good enough to be a starting CB for a team competing for important trophies? Will he be suited to Serie A? How many years has he left in him (have his performances dropped with years?) Is he injury prone? Is there any chance he becomes a Boumsong in Italy? Has any other team been interested for his services during his Villa career? Why didn't any of the big teams in England show interest in him? Please discuss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)