The Official MMA Thread (30 Viewers)

OP
.zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #203
    Penn is an incredible fighter and he does live up to the hype every time he fights. He can't beat GSP because he's just not big enough but then again Penn is so great because he has fought fighters like GSP and Machida

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #205
    I was unable to catch the Strikeforce card this past weekend but from what I gather it was pretty decent.

Herschel got his debut victory and Cyborg defended her belt. The main event was Nick Diaz (who is a far better fighter than his overrated and under-performing brother, Nate). He faced off against the knockout king of DREAM - Marius Zaromskis. I thought that Zaromskis would beat Diaz due to the recent trouble Nick has had outside of the cage. Apparently Diaz shined through.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Diaz-Cyborg-Walker-Win-at-Strikeforce-22369

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
    good sport. My favorite fighter is Rashad "Sugar" Evans. and now marius zaromskis because he are from my country lithuania!

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #207
    good sport. My favorite fighter is Rashad "Sugar" Evans. and now marius zaromskis because he are from my country lithuania!
    Zaromskis is a human knockout highlight reel but he should stay in Japan where he can extend that reel :D

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    UFC 109 LIVE tonight on ESPN

Main card

Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg
    Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
    Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
    Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
    Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

Serra vs. Trigg and, of course the oldies, Couture vs. Coleman will be two very good fights tonight.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Il be sitting up very late to watch this, its always worth it especially when Randy fights even if he is not the most exciting fighter his fights are always really exciting.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    :agree:

Couture is such a beast. With every move he does you can see the great reaction of the crowd. If Couture vs. Coleman was scheduled as the first fight, I'd watch it and go to bed. But I guess I need to stay and watch all of them until the great finale. The first one Serra vs. Trigg is also exciting. Matt Serra is great.

Starts in 15 minutes...

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Matt Serra Knocked out Frank Trigg after only 2 minutes of round 1 with (KO Punches). Great Matt 'The terror' Serra :tup:

Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller

One of the most boring fights I've ever seen. Demian Maia won with unanimous decision.

Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago

Paulo Thiago ate this fag Swick alive! Round 2 with an amazing choke submission. Don't mess with the Jujitsu masters :tup:

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen

Very very entertaining fight. Chael Sonnen won with unanimous decision despite a nasty cut to his forehead. Awesome fight!

(Fight of the Night)
    Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

Round 1: Randy 'The Natural' Couture dominated from the start till the end.
    Round 2: Couture finished the fight with an amazing choke submission.

Was an easy fight for Captain America. Disappointed with Coleman. Couture has promised the crowd to win by submission and he did it! Great Couture :tup:

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #213
    Couture is a true great

The most disappointing fighters were Marquardt and Swick. I thought that both of them would win their respective bouts.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #214
    For such a lame card on paper, Saturday night's event turned out to be fairly decent.

Silva got his first win in ages and Bisping proved to everyone that he is an overrated brit. Dan Hardy will soon follow after being destroyed by GSP next month.

I was shocked that Joe Daddy Stevenson got handled the way he did by aussie George.

And the most heart breaking fight was Minotauro and Cain. It was sad to see a legend get pummeled like that. But Velasquez fought well and has won his last few fights convincingly. Too bad he's just not big enough to stand a chance against Mir or Lesnar if he was given the shot. Yes, by definition and classification Cain is a heavy weight but with Brock in the mix it makes Cain, Nogueira and other fighters look like little boys. My solution is to make a super heavy weight division for those who walk around nearly 300 lbs before cutting weight for a fight.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Yeah and cut the heavy weight class to 207-245. With Super heavyweight being 246-264. There are too many guys that magically make it to 265 or 264.4 by weigh in day.

I was so hoping that Mintouro would ankle lock Cain the cancer. But alas, the mexican marauder pulled it out.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #216
    WEC 47 tonight on Versus

I'm looking forward to see Torres open a can of whoop ass on Benavidez. Torres is one of the best fighters in MMA and he doesn't get the credit he deserves because he fights in the WEC. He has awesome stand-up and superb ground game

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #217
    Nice show put on by the WEC last night.

Being that there is no one in the WEC over 6' tall you can expect some scrappy little guys in the cage. We saw 3 subs, 1 KO, 1 decision and the main event be called early because of Bowles breaking his thumb giving Cruz the Bantamweight title.

I'm very disappointed in Torres and how he fought scared and ultimately rolled into a tap out. Benavidez is not a good fighter. Torres is (perhaps was) as good fighter. Something has changed with his training or psyche that has caused him to lose 2 fights in less than 1 year. Maybe its his age but I doubt that one can plummet that quickly in a matter of months.

We saw the last of Jens Pulver as he was subbed in the 1st round. He's been a decent fighter who has fought in Japan, UFC, XFC, and WEC. So long Jens.

If anyone saw the Pettis fight then it should remind you of Zaromskis v Jason High in the DREAM 10 final. Pettis used the same 1-2 jab combo following with the high kick to the dome knocking Castillo out cold and then proceeding to pounce on him and making his head bounce off the canvas about 6 times before the ref jumped in and called the fight. Simply put, it was dope.

The best sub of the night was Scott Jorgensen with this standing guillotine of Chad George. Perfectly executed and the best part was how he lifted George off of his feet by his neck during the sub!

Well done WEC, now that the UFC has 2 events for the last 2 weekends in March, you have laid a good foundation for the upcoming PPV fight on 4/24. I will be looking forward to see Jose Aldo destroy Faber.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #219
    UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones

Main Card
    * Light Heavyweight bout: United States Brandon Vera vs. United States Jon Jones
    * Heavyweight bout: Brazil Junior dos Santos vs. Brazil Gabriel Gonzaga
    * Heavyweight bout: France Cheick Kongo vs. United States Paul Buentello
    * Middleweight bout:Italy Alessio Sakara vs.United States James Irvin

Preliminary Card
    * Lightweight bout: United States Clay Guida vs. United States Shannon Gugerty
    * Light Heavyweight bout: United States Eliot Marshall vs. Belarus Vladimir Matyushenko
    * Lightweight bout United States Duane Ludwig vs. United States Darren Elkins
    * Welterweight bout: United States John Howard vs. United States Daniel Roberts
    * Heavyweight bout: United States Brendan Schaub vs. United States Chase Gormley
    * Welterweight bout: United States Mike Pierce vs. United States Julio Paulino
    * Light Heavyweight bout: United States Eric Schafer vs. United States Jason Brilz

So the UFC is going to have its 1st broadcast on Versus and it's gonna be a good one. The card is stacked and looking extremely appealing to me. The main event features Vera and Jones. Both are dynamic young fighters but I like Bones Jones to take this one in a competitive battle. Another highlight fighter is Junior taking on Gabriel. Two skilled guys but Dos Santos will win in another impressive showing.

The rest of my predictions look like this:

Kongo - lose (again)
    Guida - win
    Matyushenko - wins impressively
    Schaub - show why he sucked in the UFC before and why he sucked on TUF and now again will lose another UFC fight - lose

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #220
    UFC 111: St-Pierre vs Hardy

Main Card

* Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St. Pierre (c) vs. Dan Hardy
    * Interim Heavyweight Championship bout: Frank Mir vs. Shane Carwin
    * Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Jake Ellenberger
    * Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves
    * Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Mark Bocek

Spike TV Card

* Welterweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham
    * Welterweight bout: Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown

Preliminary Card

* Lightweight bout: Kurt Pellegrino vs. Fabricio Camoes
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Rodney Wallace vs. Jared Hamman
    * Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Tomasz Drwal
    * Welterweight bout: Matthew Riddle vs. Greg Soto

-----

What an amazing fight card. I actually forgot to chime in about the UFC fight on Sunday which was a fantastic event overall.

Here's how it goes:

GSP will beat Hardy in unimpressive fashion just like the rest of his fights. Such a highly rated fighter with all the hype yet he is the most boring big name title holder to watch fight (like Floyd cough cough).

Mir/Carwin is going to be bananas. Both skilled, big (Carwin obviously wins the size challenge) and experienced. Mir wants to fight Brock so bad that he will mow down anyone that comes in his way. While Shane is still 11-0 and is by no means an easy opponent. This is the perfect setup for the winner to fight Brock when he returns from his year-long yeast infection. But if Mir wins (which I think he will) then this will show how determined he is to get back in the ring with Lesnar and take back that belt and become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the UFC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)