The Official MMA Thread (16 Viewers)

OP
.zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #186
    Do any of you guys fight? I took a few classes at an MMA gym back in the day
    i've been training in muay thai since feb 2008

i'd like to start BJJ as well but that takes alot of time which i don't have right now

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #187
    cung lee fighting tomorrow night in a lack luster event/card brought to you by Strikeforce

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Do any of you guys fight? I took a few classes at an MMA gym back in the day
    I take Krav Maga, Muay Thai and some BJJ

Real quick comments about the last few events-

- Frank Mir's destruction of Check Kongo proves he's still a meanace in the heavyweight division. If Lesnar comes back, it will be a hell of a rubber match

- Cung Le had his fight won last night, but one left hook can change everything

- The Strikeforce card last night was entertaining. I still miss PRIDE and Affliction. The UFC is like the WWE to me, too much publicity

- Dan Henderson wants to fight Fedor ??? That statement proves he has brain damage !!

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #190
    Does Strickeforce ever bring a non-lack luster card?
    they've had 1 or 2 somewhat intriguing events :D

I take Krav Maga, Muay Thai and some BJJ

Real quick comments about the last few events-

- Frank Mir's destruction of Check Kongo proves he's still a meanace in the heavyweight division. If Lesnar comes back, it will be a hell of a rubber match

- Cung Le had his fight won last night, but one left hook can change everything

- The Strikeforce card last night was entertaining. I still miss PRIDE and Affliction. The UFC is like the WWE to me, too much publicity

- Dan Henderson wants to fight Fedor ??? That statement proves he has brain damage !!
    :lol:

agreed on all counts, vin

did you watch the Melendez fight? it was a slugfest to put it modestly!

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #191
    i didn't make any comments about the Rashad-Silva fight from this past weekend but all i can say is that Rashad Evans is a nice guy but a bitch in the octagon. Thiago rocked him once in the 2nd i believe and if he would have gotten another then that fight would have been scored differently in Thiago's favor.

Grow some balls Rashad. we all know how Machida beautifully annihilated you for the belt and how you still have nightmares about him but get over it and fight like a man.

As for Thiago Silva, he is a great fighter who has just faced even better fighters. can't blame the guy for losing to who he's faced in the past 3 years. but we all know that he was 1 knock down away from outscoring Evans. Silva fights in the most competitive weight class in the UFC.

as for the rest of the card, i enjoyed all the KO's very much. so much in fact that i enjoyed watching the prelims over and over again :rolleyes:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It was the Third round, toward the end when Silva realized Rashad had controlled the fight was just playing for points. Then he attacked full force and got two good shots to Rashad who was dazed. Rashad somehow kept his head and went for the take down. Then once separated and Rashad still looking dazed, Silva decided to rest.

You're being way too hard on Evans, he's coming back off his first knockout (ever) was obviously fighting not to get knocked out. He had no killer instinct, no wish to end the fight quickly. Just to survive and get the win via cards, that's to be expected. But one thing I saw was Evans go back a bit. By going back, I mean back to his roots. He consistently took Silva to the the ground and manhandled him in everyway possible. It was great to see Rashad going to his strengths rather than attempting to be the knockout king we all know he isn't.

As for Silva, he choked. He let the first two rounds get away from him and in the third he knew his only option was to get a knockout or viciously dominate the round via knockdowns. He was facing a scared former champ and when he saw weakness he backed off. Can't feel sorry for him.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #195
    It was the Third round, toward the end when Silva realized Rashad had controlled the fight was just playing for points. Then he attacked full force and got two good shots to Rashad who was dazed. Rashad somehow kept his head and went for the take down. Then once separated and Rashad still looking dazed, Silva decided to rest.

You're being way too hard on Evans, he's coming back off his first knockout (ever) was obviously fighting not to get knocked out. He had no killer instinct, no wish to end the fight quickly. Just to survive and get the win via cards, that's to be expected. But one thing I saw was Evans go back a bit. By going back, I mean back to his roots. He consistently took Silva to the the ground and manhandled him in everyway possible. It was great to see Rashad going to his strengths rather than attempting to be the knockout king we all know he isn't.

As for Silva, he choked. He let the first two rounds get away from him and in the third he knew his only option was to get a knockout or viciously dominate the round via knockdowns. He was facing a scared former champ and when he saw weakness he backed off. Can't feel sorry for him.
    well, well, well, look who's become a Rashad Evans apologist :D

j/k

look in know that Evans was a sick college wrestler (all-american if i'm not mistaken) and he reminded us that he does have a ground game in this last fight. but the fact of the matter is that he can't keep fighting like this and expect to get another shot at the title. the competition is not going the get any easier that weight class.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #198
    Maybe. I'll link it. I think it's top to bottom one of the better cards (on paper) in a while.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.home&eid=2628

No GSP. But you get Nogiera v. Velasquez, Cro Cop v. Rothwell, Bisping v. the wondering Silva, and Keith Jardine all on the same card.
    not bad at all

did you catch the WEC card last night? it wasn't bad but i have recently gained some distaste for the WEC's posterboy Faber.

the guy may have won 18 fights in a row but he couldn't beat Brown (who is a damn good fighter) in 2 attempts and yet he is praised like a demi god descended from heaven.

every fight for the guy is a hometown feel since all of WEC's events are held in Nor Cal. i know that is not his fault but it just makes me despise him more :D

and then after his win against Assuncauo last night, they brought on Aldo who is the current belt holder and basicall set the stage for Faber's title run again.

Now keep in mind that Aldo beat Brown only a few months back and that Faber lost his belt in late July. i know for a fact that the WEC is deep in featherweight fighters and they can produce more competition than a 1-2 fight buy in for another shot at the title. give me a break :rolleyes:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    WEC is lame. Faber and Brown are great fighters, but I get turned off the same reason you do. Too much billing as the only show in town. I just never got into it.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #200
    the WEC is for the most part lame but its the only place we can see the great miguel torres fight

man what a spectacular fighter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)