The Official Golf Thread (1 Viewer)

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
As with most golf brands, TaylorMade come out with a new line nearly every year with a strong emphasis on a (very minor, in most cases inconsequential) feature to up one's game. Take RBZ (Rocket Ballz) for example. An unnecessary line put out with little value to the consumer. Unlike the R or M series which are major improvements and features to clubs.

Again, all the major brands do this but as someone who plays a mixed bag primarily comprised of Taylors, I feel they are the most guilty of this.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
As with most golf brands, TaylorMade come out with a new line nearly every year with a strong emphasis on a (very minor, in most cases inconsequential) feature to up one's game. Take RBZ (Rocket Ballz) for example. An unnecessary line put out with little value to the consumer. Unlike the R or M series which are major improvements and features to clubs.

Again, all the major brands do this but as someone who plays a mixed bag primarily comprised of Taylors, I feel they are the most guilty of this.
:tup: Probably don't really need a mini-driver anyway. Have a driver, 3 wood and 4 iron... is a hybrid easier to hit off the fairway than both a 3 wood and 4 iron? Or maybe a 5 or 7 wood is easier?

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Depending on the type of shot IMO

A long par 4 or 5 for your 2nd shot off the deck would warrant a 3 wood or hybrid. It also depends on your range as well. I've hit my friends (it's an Adams) hybrid several times and it's much easier to hit than a long iron like a 4 or 3w or 5w.

I don't carry a hybrid in my bag but my 3w and 5w do the deed in those situations that call for a hybrid.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Depending on the type of shot IMO

A long par 4 or 5 for your 2nd shot off the deck would warrant a 3 wood or hybrid. It also depends on your range as well. I've hit my friends (it's an Adams) hybrid several times and it's much easier to hit than a long iron like a 4 or 3w or 5w.

I don't carry a hybrid in my bag but my 3w and 5w do the deed in those situations that call for a hybrid.
I've mostly been pretty unsuccessful hitting anything lower than a 6 iron off the fairway so far. I've hit 170-175 yards off the tee with a 6 iron but the furthest I've gotten off the fairway is probably about 130. I hit my 6 iron and probably 7 further than my 4&5 irons. Really just need something for as you said long par 4s and 5s. If you reckon it's much easier to hit than a 4 or 5 iron then I should probably look at getting one. I do even worse off the fairway with my 3 wood than 4/5 irons, though admittedly I haven't really tried too many times due to poor results.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
finally managed to get some good usage out of my new driver on the course today, ~270 yards dead straight :D the irons are great too, so long

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #87

thoughts? it's the mini driver version.
    Looks smart.

I've been toying with getting something like that myself.

Haven't used a driver in about ten years and think it'd be hard to get used to the huge head behind the ball, so tempted to experiment with a mini.

Ping are the main exception.

They only bring out new gear when they really have something new.

The iblades are the new version of my S55 irons, but there was a two-year gap between my ones coming out and the iblades going on sale.

:tup: Probably don't really need a mini-driver anyway. Have a driver, 3 wood and 4 iron... is a hybrid easier to hit off the fairway than both a 3 wood and 4 iron? Or maybe a 5 or 7 wood is easier?
    Yeah, no needs for a ~12 degree club (the mini-driver) when you have a driver and a 3-wood.

Hybrid is typically more forgiving than a long iron.

And easier to get up in the air than a 3-wood.

Hybrid versus 5- or 7-wood is just a question of personal preference.

But you may be forced to play off the ladies' tees if you show up with a 7-wood in your bag. :p

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    I've mostly been pretty unsuccessful hitting anything lower than a 6 iron off the fairway so far. I've hit 170-175 yards off the tee with a 6 iron but the furthest I've gotten off the fairway is probably about 130. I hit my 6 iron and probably 7 further than my 4&5 irons. Really just need something for as you said long par 4s and 5s. If you reckon it's much easier to hit than a 4 or 5 iron then I should probably look at getting one. I do even worse off the fairway with my 3 wood than 4/5 irons, though admittedly I haven't really tried too many times due to poor results.
    Try out a hybrid my friend :pint:

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #89
    What sort of contact are you getting with the irons?

Is the loss of distance due to hitting ground before ball, hitting shots thin or just generally failing to hit the ball with the sweet-spot?

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Looks smart.

I've been toying with getting something like that myself.

Haven't used a driver in about ten years and think it'd be hard to get used to the huge head behind the ball, so tempted to experiment with a mini.

Yeah, no needs for a ~12 degree club (the mini-driver) when you have a driver and a 3-wood.

Hybrid is typically more forgiving than a long iron.

And easier to get up in the air than a 3-wood.

Hybrid versus 5- or 7-wood is just a question of personal preference.

But you may be forced to play off the ladies' tees if you show up with a 7-wood in your bag. :p
    Don't think I could do without a driver, how far do you hit the 3 wood off the tee?

I think I'll most likely get a hybrid at some point but I'm fairly content with what I have at the moment. If I replaced my current 3 wood, not sure if I'd get another 3 or a 5. 5 seems more tempting because it should be easier to hit and it probably won't make a huge difference distance-wise.

What sort of contact are you getting with the irons?

Is the loss of distance due to hitting ground before ball, hitting shots thin or just generally failing to hit the ball with the sweet-spot?
    I just don't think I'm hitting them well enough. Maybe I'm not striking down on them enough. I've improved a bit but I still get much more distance with the 6 and 7 (175+ high loft) than 4 and 5 (~120 low loft). Though I've started to develop a fairly nasty hook with them now, not on every shot but when I do it's pretty bad (like 20-30 yards left). Seems to disappear once I get to 9 iron & wedges.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #92
    Don't think I could do without a driver, how far do you hit the 3 wood off the tee?
    Dunno.

Far enough.

Most folk I play with (including good players) can't hit their driver past my 3-wood.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Still hooking heaps of my shots with irons. Tried adjusting my grip but not much difference. Not really sure how to fix it besides aiming far right :p

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #94
    Hooking shots rather than them just going straight left?

Have to consider your swing path as as you must be coming in to out in your swing.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Hooking shots rather than them just going straight left?

Have to consider your swing path as as you must be coming in to out in your swing.
    Yeah hooking left as in the ball starts straight or even slightly to the right then curves left.

You're probably right, probably something fundamental like that. So I would want to try and get my swing more straight/parallel to my body?

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #96
    Yeah hooking left as in the ball starts straight or even slightly to the right then curves left.

You're probably right, probably something fundamental like that. So I would want to try and get my swing more straight/parallel to my body?
    Depends.

It may be that your swing is exactly as it should be and it's your alignment before you start the swing that's the problem.

Or it may be you have too strong a grip (i.e. your left hand is too much on top of the club).

Or it could be your swing path.

Or it could be a combination of loads of things.

This was/is my issue at the moment.

I've got it under control, but it still isn't right.

I take the club back fine, but the downswing is too steep, coming too much from the inside, and my upper body is driving forward instead of rotating.

Means I have the club pointing right at impact, have a hook swing-path and, depending on the exact timing of the shot, the ball will either hang right or hook.

I can normally self-diagnose and fix these things, but this one is going on to a different level of complexity due to the number of factors in the issue.

I've had and fixed the issue before. Need to feel the swing is nice and wide and hold my weight on my right side a little longer through the shot. That'll cost me distance, but once I get the timing back, I can start working back up to thinking about transferring weight through properly and getting up towards full power.

If your problem is like mine, you may need to go for a lesson or two. :D

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    :tup: I do think a lesson or two is probably necessary, that video seems helpful as so far I haven't really tried changing much besides grip strength, alignment etc.. basically always with the same downswing and general body movement. Even though I can't do it consistently yet, maybe 3-4 out of every 9 on a good day, I worked out how to hit my driver fairly well (straight and 220-250 yards) but can't seem to do the same thing with the hook in my irons yet so a lesson or two is probably a good idea. I'm sure I'm probably doing more than one thing wrong as well.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #98
    Any thoughts on proposed rule changes (or do you guys not tend to play strict rules?)

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/notice-board/proposed-changes-rules-golf-2019-125704

No issue with most of them.

Removal of penalties for accidental stuff is good.

Need to find out more about some of the proposals regarding dropping/taking relief.

Don't like suggestion of two-shot penalties being introduced. Think that will just cause confusion - what this simplification of the rules is meant to avoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)