The Official Golf Thread (5 Viewers)

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Definitely invest the time and $$ in lessons. Just make sure you're not taking tips from some bogan.

@Red I broke my r7 driver over thanksgiving (hit it dead straight and ended up making a par) so I spoiled myself and got the new XR16. I'm still learning how to hit it just right but it's definitely an upgrade from my r7 which was about 10yrs old at this point. My how driver technology changes over a decade.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
hit some better bunker shots today, tried following through more. hit one really good one, almost PGA tour worthy :D

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #63
    I tried a few shots where I hit it harder, I managed to get it out of the bunker but I hit too hard and it went too far, bounced at the edge of the green and rolled into the bunker on the other side

I guess there's a fine line of hitting it hard and not too hard?
    A little finesse is required. :D

What loft of wedge are you using for the shots?

I take it you've played at St. Andrews? :p
    No, haven't made it on there yet.

Carnoustie is the only one of the Open rota courses I've played.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely invest the time and $$ in lessons. Just make sure you're not taking tips from some bogan.

@Red I broke my r7 driver over thanksgiving (hit it dead straight and ended up making a par) so I spoiled myself and got the new XR16. I'm still learning how to hit it just right but it's definitely an upgrade from my r7 which was about 10yrs old at this point. My how driver technology changes over a decade.
    Not just drivers. I gained about a club in distance when I got my current set of irons and that was jumping about 10 years worth of technology.

- - - Updated - - -

So what else do you chaps have in your bags?

I've finally got my bag set up beautifully after years of tinkering:

TaylorMade M1 3-wood (set on 17 degrees)

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour hybrid (set on 20 degrees)

Ping s55 irons (2-iron to 9-iron)

Mizuno wedges (50, 54, 58 degree)

The 54 and 58 are like this. The 50 is a bit older and a model designed to rust and spin more

Odyssey White Hot putter (that I've had forever)

:heart:

- - - Updated - - -

Also waiting for a new toy to arrive:

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acat..._term=0_4f80daa8e0-76eee425ca-61667569#SID=15

Laser yardage thing.

Been using an app on my phone to get the yardages just based on my GPS and marks I put on Google maps. It's okay for the most part, but features on courses aren't necessarily up to date and it's only accurate to within a few yards.

Wasn't going to spend loads on a laser one, but when this one went below £100 I thought I'd give it a go.

Only last season did my distance control on shots get good enough for me to think the higher level of accuracy from a yardage device would benefit my game.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    @Red I'm digging the mixed bag you've curated :tup:

I have an Odyssey white hot (bought it brand new in 2011) and it's a great money club

My irons and wedges are about +10 years old, do you think it's worth upgrading? Out of my arsenal of irons (4-9) I mainly use 4,5,7 and rely on PW for anything <130 yards.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    A little finesse is required. :D

What loft of wedge are you using for the shots?

No, haven't made it on there yet.

Carnoustie is the only one of the Open rota courses I've played.

So what else do you chaps have in your bags?
    I think I have a better feel for it now, I had a couple of better ones where I hit hard but the sand slowed the club down enough to just lift the ball out of bunker and roll nicely onto the green. Not really sure what loft is, still using my irons from quite a few years ago. I'd guess around mid 50s, maybe 56 but not sure.

Would be pretty sweet to play there :D

Looking at getting a new set of irons as well, my current ones are a tad short and want to go back to steel shafts. The Cleveland CG16s seem pretty good for the price. What driver are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an Odyssey white hot (bought it brand new in 2011) and it's a great money club

My irons and wedges are about +10 years old, do you think it's worth upgrading? Out of my arsenal of irons (4-9) I mainly use 4,5,7 and rely on PW for anything <130 yards.
    I still can't hit a 5 iron or lower well yet :pepedinho:

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #66

Yeah, probably.

When you jump ten years worth of tech you really feel it.

But don't get long irons if you can't use them.

Just get a set that's 5-iron to wedge (or something like that) and use hybrids or lofted woods instead of 3-, 4-iron.

I think I have a better feel for it now, I had a couple of better ones where I hit hard but the sand slowed the club down enough to just lift the ball out of bunker and roll nicely onto the green. Not really sure what loft is, still using my irons from quite a few years ago. I'd guess around mid 50s, maybe 56 but not sure.
    If it's the standard SW that goes with the set it'll be 56.

Worth investing in a more lofted wedge as well to make it easier to get elevation. Very few players (and no good players) now play without a 58 or a 60 degree wedge.

Would be pretty sweet to play there :D
    Yeah, I need to go and play it.

Problem is that you can't book a time as a single player and no-one I play with has both a handicap and a willingness to throw down about £180 for a game.

Been at all the Opens there going back to 2000, so already feel I know my way around.

What driver are you using?
    Don't use one.

Wasn't good at hitting one, so gave it up once I was able to hit the 3-wood long enough.

I have a pretty steep angle of attack at the ball and it's what allows me to hit great iron shots and mess about with trajectories and shapes of shots, but it is not the smooth, flat swing that you need to hit a driver consistently.

The steep swing is why even my 3-wood is set on 17 degrees (rather than 15 which would be normal for a 3-wood).

CG16s do seem remarkable cheap.

I'd strongly reccommend getting custom fitted when getting a set of irons.

Better to spend a few quid extra and get something that really suits/fits your game and is therefore more likely to last and prove value for money.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    If it's the standard SW that goes with the set it'll be 56.

Worth investing in a more lofted wedge as well to make it easier to get elevation. Very few players (and no good players) now play with a 58 or a 60 degree wedge.
    Was actually thinking about this already, because the SW I'm using to chip around the green has a bit too much distance to it and something to more reliably get it over bunkers around the green without going too far would be great.

Yeah, I need to go and play it.

Problem is that you can't book a time as a single player and no-one I play with has both a handicap and a willingness to throw down about £180 for a game.

Been at all the Opens there going back to 2000, so already feel I know my way around.
    If I'm ever in Scotland I'll let you know :p

Don't use one.

Wasn't good at hitting one, so gave it up once I was able to hit the 3-wood long enough.

I have a pretty steep angle of attack at the ball and it's what allows me to hit great iron shots and mess about with trajectories and shapes of shots, but it is not the smooth, flat swing that you need to hit a driver consistently.

The steep swing is why even my 3-wood is set on 17 degrees (rather than 15 which would be normal for a 3-wood).

CG16s do seem remarkable cheap.

I'd strongly reccommend getting custom fitted when getting a set of irons.

Better to spend a few quid extra and get something that really suits/fits your game and is therefore more likely to last and prove value for money.
    Fair enough, probably the best tee shots I've ever done with a wood were with my 3 wood, but I still like hitting a big driver :D I'm still on the standard loft on my Callaway driver but I should probably have a go about adjusting the loft to a higher setting.

Does custom fitting involve picking the set of irons itself, or do you get a set and then have the length adjusted to what suits you?

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #69
    Does custom fitting involve picking the set of irons itself, or do you get a set and then have the length adjusted to what suits you?
    Can be either, I guess.

When I had it done I had already decided I liked the set of Ping irons and it was just a case of tinkering with the spec.

But they go through the shaft flex, the length of the club, the lie angle of the club, the thickness of the grip, etc..

Places here tend to do the custom fit free as long as you buy the gear from them and don't take the info and buy the clubs online.

My god my husband is obsessed with golf. I can't believe there's a thread about it here!!

He has requested Titleist AP2 irons for his birthday which I cannot afford. :(
    Those are unusually ugly for high-end Titleists.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Can be either, I guess.

When I had it done I had already decided I liked the set of Ping irons and it was just a case of tinkering with the spec.

But they go through the shaft flex, the length of the club, the lie angle of the club, the thickness of the grip, etc..

Places here tend to do the custom fit free as long as you buy the gear from them and don't take the info and buy the clubs online.
    :tup: I'll have a look into it but it might be a bit too pricey for how much I want to spend at the moment. I still can't hit irons well consistently so I'm not sure how much difference it would even make now.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #72
    How much?

That 4-PW?

- - - Updated - - -

[video=twitter;822540206981152768]https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/822540206981152768[/video]

:heart:

Gep

The Guv'nor
    Jun 12, 2005
    Damn! Thought this was something to do with Volkswagen. Then see a load of people with tiny balls and sticks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)