The NHL Thread (20 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Indeed, a bit sad to see Lidstrom go, but what a career - an all time great, no doubt about it.

Detroit should have quite a bit of cap space right? They never really replaced Rafalski, Lidstrom's gone... that's over 11M right there...

Going to be interesting to watch them reload.

Edit: wow, a couple extensions to get done, but they're more than 20M under right now.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=15

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Lidstrom. :tup:

and what's up with Timmy Thomas? Sitting out a year? Should people blame Obama for this? :D
Leave it to Barry to fuck up my Bruins. :p

We'll see if rest and relaxation helps TT recover, and change his mind. Still so early in the offseason.

It's frustrating though, man. He can't just retire, because he was over 35 when he signed the deal. If he takes a year off, Boston will suspend him, and he'll still be a big 5M cap hit - we just don't actually pay him. The Bruins then have the option of reinstating his contract at the agreed upon terms for 13/14. Can't be good for chemistry though, he's 38 years old now, and frankly, a combination of Rask and Khudobin is immediately better than what 75% of the NHL has anyway.

Thomas' no-trade clause expires July 1st, Chiarelli mentioned there's a chance he could be dealt. The deal would (likely) effectively be trading him to a team that needed to spend up to the salary cap floor; they wouldn't actually pay Timmy cash, he'd just be on the books. We'd probably have to move a prospect or two, but it would free up 5M in cap space.

Tuukka is ready, I have no doubt that he's a franchise caliber goalie - so I'm not too down about these developments - but it is frustrating, bro. I do love Timmy, but you could see he was more aggravated last year... it may be time to move on.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Timmy... just hang 'em up already.

https://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOfficialPage

:sergio:

I find it funny that he's posting all of these articles on impending economic doom, talking about reconnecting with friends (also family and faith), but is meanwhile walking away from 3M dollars, and a group of teammates - who I would have thought were his good friends.

The asinine part of it all is that he seems to legitimately think he has a crack at 2014. He wouldn't have made that team with continuity and perfect health - Quick, Miller, Schneider should be ahead of him off the top of my head - and he sure as hell wont be ready after sitting out a year.

Not the ending I had hoped for. Timmy. Is. Legend. Bruins fans owe him so much... but he's a space cadet at this point, and it's time he got the fuck out. Way too much of a distraction, and likely the second best goalie on the team at this point anyway.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Mark, any truth to the rumours that Montreal is looking to trade out of the 3rd spot?

And Congrats to the LA Kings.

I called it a month ago. Yes. Yes I did. You can check the thread if you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)