The NHL Thread (9 Viewers)

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
The final piece of the Red Wings' Stanley Cup celebration took place earlier today when the team was congratulated for their championship with a visit to the White House. President George W. Bush greeted the team in the East Room and was presented with a pair of Red Wings jerseys: one for his father (with the No. 41 on the back) and one for himself, with No. 43.

Video:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip102523#clip102523

Really nice visit,looks good,classy...big honour.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
They started with 4 wins,but yesterday suffered their first defeat to Anahaim.
btw it was first win for the Ducks after 4 defeats.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Did you guys see Def Leppard's singer Joe Elliot putting the cup upside down at the wings game? Chelios wanted to beat the sh*t outta him. :D

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
300th goal in the NHL for Hossa,and what a goal;)

OT winner against the Rangers,his first goal as a Red Wing,many to come:)
that's the way!

GO WINGS!!!

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
funny read

DUTHIE: HABS SEASON WILL BE ONE LONG CEREMONY

JAMES DUTHIE
0/19/2008 6:46:17 PM

This is not going to be a good season to be a Hab-hater.

In fact, that's an understatement on the same scale as ''This is not a good month to be a stockbroker.''

You either love or hate the Montreal Canadiens. There is no Middle Earth. If you love them, you are likely to have a winter of sheer bliss. If you despise them, if you gag at the mere mention of Les Glorieux, you are about to enter hockey's version of a Turkish prison. First of all, they are good. Really good. Second, and much more annoying to you, the next six months will seem like one interminable ceremony celebrating everything Blue, Blanc, et Rouge.

The Canadiens have hugantic plans for their 100th season. It all kicked off last Wednesday with the unveiling of the Ring of Honour, a wonderful tribute to the 44 former players and 10 builders in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Nobody does ceremonies as well as Montreal.

Or as often.

Welcome to Habapalooza. The schedule isn't even complete yet, and already we know the Ring of Honour ceremony will be followed by (brace yourself): Builder's Night (Oct. 28), Memorable Games in Canadiens History DVD release (Nov. 4), Patrick Roy's sweater retirement (Nov. 22), Opening of Centennial Plaza (Dec. 4), Centennial Gala (Dec. 5), NHL All-Star Weekend (Jan 24-25), launch of the Canadiens Hall of Fame (April), NHL Draft (June 27), 8 "Vintage Jersey" games, and two "Original Six Salute" games. Oh ya, and the Stanley Cup Final* (June).

*tentative

By contrast, the Nashville Predators event schedule consists of a 2-for-1 Pizza night in February. That's it. (I'm kidding, of course. The Predators could never afford to give away free pizza slices.)

And I didn't even get to the Special Edition Montreal Canadiens Monopoly Game, the commemorative stamps, and a special minted Habs Loonie (the only Canadian dollar that may rise in value this year).

The Canadiens, to their credit, want to give every fan at every game something special to remember about the centennial. But man, it's a long season. So filling out an entire home schedule worth of ceremonies is a challenge. Through my extensive sources within the organization (a mailroom intern named Miguel), I've uncovered some of the yet-to-be announced special celebrations on the Habs sked:

OCT. 25 (vs. Anaheim) -- Book release party for the autobiography of Youppi(former MTL Expos mascot), the Canadiens mascot, entitled: ''Youppi: I really only like baseball, but I needed the money.''

NOV. 15 (vs. Philadelphia) -- ''Chez Paree Appreciation Night,'' a touching ceremony in honour of the distraction (and subsequent losses) this legendary men's club has caused visiting teams for decades. A bronze statue of "Denise", Pare's longest serving stripper, will be unveiled outside the Bell Centre's North Entrance. (You will be able to sit near the statue, but you cannot make any physical contact.)

DEC. 21 (vs. Carolina) -- Sergei Samsonov Sweater Retirement. After realizing they have already honoured almost every living former player, the Habs are forced to commemorate the 9-goal, healthy scratch-filled 2006-2007 season of this current Hurricane.

DEC. 25 - The Canadiens attempt to rename Christmas "Habs Rule Day", so that the team can be properly feted each and every year by all of humanity. Jewish Holiday also to be renamed "Habukkah".

JAN. 8 (vs. Toronto) - ''Leafs Mathematically Eliminated From Playoff Race Night''* Featuring post-game fireworks and dance party! Live Performance by Mitsou! (Assuming Mitsou can be located.)

(*May be cancelled if Leafs are already mathematically eliminated by January.)

FEB. 21 (vs. Ottawa) -- Vito ''The Plumber'' Sweater Retirement. After officially running out of former players to honour with the Sergei Samsonov Sweater Retirement, the Habs hold a ceremony for the guy who fixed the clog in the men's bathroom in Section 201 during a key playoff game in 1993.

FEB. 24 (vs. Vancouver) -- MacDonald's begins giving out Limited Edition ''Guys George Laroque has Pummeled'' figurines with Happy Meals. Riley Cote, Brian McGratton, Brad May, they're all there! The ''Bloodied Derek Boogaard'' proves to be a favourite with the kids.

MAR. 17 (vs. Rangers) -- ''Rocket Richard Riot Recreation Night.'' To celebrate the 54th anniversary of the Riot, the first 10,000 fans in the building receive souvenir Molotov cocktails. City Chamber of Commerce cooperates to allow limited post-game looting.

APR. 11 (vs. Pittsburgh, last home game) -- Ceremony honouring the best ceremonies of the season. Roy, Samsonov, Youppi, Vito, Denise…all in attendance. Not a dry eye in the house.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Hossa starting to roll with the Wings now,great job Marian!!!

-Homer-Dats-Hossa- looks just great:)

yesterday Hossa scored again,had an assist,and SO winner.

stats so far:

8 Games:4 goals,7 assists.

GO WINGS!!!!

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Brian Burke is the new president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's anti-European and he believes in dirty play. I can't wait for the Leafs to become more hated than they already are.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Mats Sundin is a rat. He's a fucking hypocritical dipshit, and when he puts pen to paper on Friday and signs for the Rangers, I'm immediately buying tickets for when New York comes to Toronto on February 25, 2009.

I'm sorry you had to see that Tahir, it's nothing against Swedes. It's just a grudge I hold against someone who says that he's going to retire a Leaf and refuses a trade that would potentially help Toronto rebuild in the long-run, only to go against his own "belief" and sign for a team halfway through a season.

A captain for 13 years; I'd expect better...much fucking better.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
sean avery is an attention whore but in this case the NHL has no reason suspend him for his comments

sean avery deserved to get suspended. He has been warned in the past to stop doing shit like this. It has been building up for over a year now. It's not even like the media asked him a question. He's the one that told the media to turn on their camera's and start rolling. This happened 10 minutes after he had a meeting with dave tippett about not talking to the media. He's a classless fuck and has been nothing but a distraction this year.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
sean avery deserved to get suspended. He has been warned in the past to stop doing shit like this. It has been building up for over a year now. It's not even like the media asked him a question. He's the one that told the media to turn on their camera's and start rolling. This happened 10 minutes after he had a meeting with dave tippett about not talking to the media. He's a classless fuck and has been nothing but a distraction this year.
Seems to be a growing trend these days, eh?

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #917
    sean avery is an attention whore but in this case the NHL has no reason suspend him for his comments
    What did he do this time?

I liked him at Detroit before he left.

Mats Sundin is a rat. He's a fucking hypocritical dipshit, and when he puts pen to paper on Friday and signs for the Rangers, I'm immediately buying tickets for when New York comes to Toronto on February 25, 2009.

I'm sorry you had to see that Tahir, it's nothing against Swedes. It's just a grudge I hold against someone who says that he's going to retire a Leaf and refuses a trade that would potentially help Toronto rebuild in the long-run, only to go against his own "belief" and sign for a team halfway through a season.

A captain for 13 years; I'd expect better...much fucking better.
    Everybody has their price I suppose.

But yeah, that's like pulling a Cannavaro or Zambrotta... except worse.

Make sure you and your fellow fans give him hell and let him know he's a fucking wankstain.

The bastard could learn something from Steve Yzerman, among others.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    What did he do this time?

I liked him at Detroit before he left.

Everybody has their price I suppose.

But yeah, that's like pulling a Cannavaro or Zambrotta... except worse.

Make sure you and your fellow fans give him hell and let him know he's a fucking wankstain.

The bastard could learn something from Steve Yzerman, among others.
    You didn't hear about Sean Avery? :shocked:

He was going out with a whole bunch of famous women like Elisha Cuthbert, and when asked about how he feels about Dion Phaneuff (Calgary Flames) dating Cuthbert now, he said something about how everyone loves his "sloppy seconds". It was something along those lines, I'm not sure about his exact words.

As for the Leaf fans, they won't be heard because all the seats in the lower areas (where tickets range from $200-400) go to the suits, who could care less about hockey. The upper bowl tickets start at $99, and that's usually where everyone goes. These ticket prices are ridiculous...I miss Maple Leaf Gardens ($50 for lower bowls, albeit 11 years ago). I'm going to buy off a scalper.

Yzerman was class, as was Lemieux.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #919
    You didn't hear about Sean Avery? :shocked:

He was going out with a whole bunch of famous women like Elisha Cuthbert, and when asked about how he feels about Dion Phaneuff (Calgary Flames) dating Cuthbert now, he said something about how everyone loves his "sloppy seconds". It was something along those lines, I'm not sure about his exact words.

As for the Leaf fans, they won't be heard because all the seats in the lower areas (where tickets range from $200-400) go to the suits, who could care less about hockey. The upper bowl tickets start at $99, and that's usually where everyone goes. These ticket prices are ridiculous...I miss Maple Leaf Gardens ($50 for lower bowls, albeit 11 years ago). I'm going to buy off a scalper.

Yzerman was class, as was Lemieux.
    I head about Avery saying something about an ex, but I didn't hear his exact words. Considering I absolutely hate Phaneuff, well played by Avery. :tup: :D

Prices have gotten outrageous, but at least in the states the price of a ticket will have to come down with the economy. I heard they were selling student tickets at the Joe for $15 tonight. Thankfully, though, my uncle has a connection through a bartender to get tickets every year around Christmas.

Why are they still so expensive up there? Is it because of the Canadian Dollar?

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    I head about Avery saying something about an ex, but I didn't hear his exact words. Considering I absolutely hate Phaneuff, well played by Avery. :tup: :D

Prices have gotten outrageous, but at least in the states the price of a ticket will have to come down with the economy. I heard they were selling student tickets at the Joe for $15 tonight. Thankfully, though, my uncle has a connection through a bartender to get tickets every year around Christmas.

Why are they still so expensive up there? Is it because of the Canadian Dollar?
    I love Phaneuff, he's like a Chiellini-type of personality.

The Loonie is alright here, compared to what it's been in the past. Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment is a business; they sell condos now, they own the Raptors, Toronto FC, and investors include the Ontario Teachers' Pension Union and TD Waterhouse (a bank). It's a business, and they really exploit their fans considering the mediocre product they put on the ice. There's always media hype, and these fans really buy into that stuff. Businessmen and corporate execs go to the games for free, just like in New York, because the big companies in Toronto give away free tickets to their employees. Everytime Hamilton (one hour away from Toronto, and also where I'm closest to) tries to get a team, Toronto steps in and says, "No, you're taking over our turf," which is really unfair. They aren't entitled to Southern Ontario, and if they think they are, they should put a decent product on the ice and reward the fans that have invested so much into that piss machine.

The only reason that the Leafs still make money is because that they inherit fans (like me). I grew up watching the Leafs on Saturday nights in Leaf pyjamas, and when I played scrimmage I'd wear my Leaf jersey. My dad painted my road hockey goalie mask like Felix Potvin's, which was friggin' awesome. I think the Leafs should allow those over the age of 45 into the ACC for free, since that's the only reason why they're afloat.

Oh yeah, it's cheaper to go to a Toronto - Buffalo game (4 times in Buffalo a year), the tickets are soooooooo much cheaper and it's basically a home game for Toronto. Any game in Buffalo is actually worth it: it's an hour away, they're a good team to watch, they have real nice fans (Northern State people are good people :D), good atmosphere, good chicken wings after the game, and they don't get as beligerent as the Toronto fans when they lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)