The NHL Thread (73 Viewers)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
ok

Chiarelli: we looking for a D and we have a high pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't want to trade, just listening. Goodnight.

so Chiarelli make an offer we can't refuse.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Draft day on tuZ...:andyandbarcelona:

- - - Updated - - -

Round 1

1. Toronto

2. Winnipeg

3. Columbus

4. Edmonton

5. Vancouver

6. Calgary

7. Arizona

8. Buffalo

9. Montreal

10. Colorado

11. New Jersey

12. Ottawa

13. Carolina

14. Boston

15. Minnesota

16. Detroit

17. Nashville

18. Philadelphia

19. NY Islanders

20. Arizona (from NYR)

21. Carolina (from LAK)

22. Winnipeg (from CHI)

23. Florida

24. Anaheim

25. Dallas

26. Washington

27. Tampa Bay

28. St. Louis

29. Boston (from SJS)

30. Anaheim (from PIT via TOR)

- - - Updated - - -

Montreal Picks

9th overall:
39th overall:
45th overall:
70th overall:
100th overall:
124th overall:
160th overall:
- - - Updated - - -

Final ISS Hockey Top 30 Ranked For 2016 NHL Draft
Rank Player Position Birth Shot Height Weight Team League
1 MATTHEWS, Auston C 9/17/1997 L 6.01.5 210 Zurich ZSC SuiA
2 LAINE, Patrik RW 4/19/1998 R 6.04 209 Tappara FinE
3 PULJUJARVI, Jesse RW 5/7/1998 R 6.03 203 Karpat FinE
4 TKACHUK, Matthew LW 12/11/1997 L 6.01.25 195 London OHL
5 DUBOIS, Pierre-Luc C 6/24/1998 L 6.02.5 202 Cape Breton QMJHL
6 NYLANDER, Alexander RW 3/2/1998 R 6.00.5 179 Mississauga OHL
7 BROWN, Logan C 3/5/1998 L 6.06 222 Windsor OHL
8 CHYCHRUN, Jakob LD 3/31/1998 L 6.02 215 Sarnia OHL
9 JOST, Tyson RW 3/14/1998 L 5.11 191 Penticton BCHL
10 SERGACHEV, Mikhail RD 6/25/1998 L 6.02.5 206 Windsor OHL
11 JUOLEVI, Olli LD 5/5/1998 L 6.02.5 179 London OHL
12 KELLER, Clayton C 7/29/1998 L 5.09.5 168 NTDP USA Under-18 USHL
13 MCLEOD, Michael C 2/3/1998 R 6.02.25 188 Mississauga OHL
14 JONES, Max LW 2/17/1998 L 6.03 205 London OHL
15 RUBTSOV, German C 6/27/1998 L 6.02 178 Russia MHL 98 RusJr
16 BEAN, Jake LD 6/9/1998 L 5.11.75 173 Calgary WHL
17 BELLOWS, Kieffer LW 6/10/1998 L 6.00 196 NTDP USA Under-18 USHL
18 KUNIN, Luke RW 12/4/1997 R 5.11.75 193 Wisconsin BigTen
19 FABBRO, Dante RD 6/20/1998 R 6.00.25 189 Penticton BCHL
20 HOWDEN, Brett C 3/29/1998 L 6.02.25 193 Moose Jaw WHL
21 GAUTHIER, Julien RW 10/15/1997 R 6.03.5 225 Val-d'Or QMJHL
22 TUFTE, Riley LW 4/10/1998 L 6.04.75 205 Blaine MN-HS
23 MCAVOY, Charles RD 12/21/1997 R 6.00.25 208 Boston Univ H.E.
24 THOMPSON, Tage C 10/30/1997 R 6.05 185 Connecticut H.E.
25 STANLEY, Logan LD 5/26/1998 L 6.06.75 220 Windsor OHL
26 DEBRINCAT, Alexander RW 12/18/1997 R 5.07 163 Erie OHL
27 KATCHOUK, Boris LW 6/18/1998 L 6.01 181 S.S. Marie OHL
28 RADDYSH, Taylor RW 2/18/1998 R 6.01.75 203 Erie OHL
29 MOVERARE, Jacob LD 8/31/1998 L 6.02 198 HV71 SweJE
30 LABERGE, Pascal RW 4/9/1998 R 6.01 175 Victoriaville QMJHL

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
For our #1 pick, if we talk at #9 I can see us go for Jost. I would be really happy. Good old Canadian boy with offensive talent and defensive awareness. I'd love Keller because of the pure offensive talent. Small but reminds me of Patrick Kane. Tough pick but knowing our management I think we'll go with Jost if he's still available. If we trade up for pick 4-5 then Dubois it is. Wouldn,t mind Tkachuk either. At #9 there's still Brown. Big guy, better 2nd half of the season. I said big but he doesn't use his size. Also, at times he might have a great opportunity to shoot but passes the puck instead. If we draft a D I'll go mad. Sure we'll lose Markov in a couple of years but for me it's more difficult to sign at top offensive talent during UFA season or get in a trade.

- - - Updated - - -

2nd round is tomorrow...I'll look at defenseman Samuel Girard. Small but racks the pts. Vlasic type player. Gettinger and Fitzpatrick seem interesting also.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I'm ok with that if he will use his size and shoot more.

- - - Updated - - -

Pros

Logan Brown is 6'6" and 222 pounds. He can skate, he scored 74 points for the Windsor Spitfires this season and he has NHL bloodlines. Small wonder that he's one of the biggest wild cards in the first round of the 2016 NHL draft.

"In this draft especially, there are a lot of big guys who can skate and stick-handle," Brown told NHL.com's Mike G. Morreale. "But I like to think I have those qualities along with good hockey sense."

Big, smart centres who can skate and score are awfully hard to find.

Cons

Brown had 74 points, but most of those were assists; he only scored 21 goals and is generally regarded as being a little too willing to take a pass over a shot.

One unnamed scout suggested to The Hockey News that Brown was more of a project than other top players available at this year's draft:

He's a little bit of an enigma, to tell you the truth. In terms of tools, his tools are as good as anyone's in the draft. He's got size, but he might be the weakest guy in all of the draft. Even without strength, though, guys have trouble getting the puck off him. I don't think he's bought in yet.
Some scouts have Brown well outside their top 10, with TSN's Craig Button going so far as to place him 27th on his list.

- - - Updated - - -

Mikhail Sergachev

Pros

Mikhail Sergachev is a teammate of Logan Brown's in Windsor, but his status as a top-10 pick would seem to be considerably safer. He's one of a trio of defenceman (along with Jakob Chychrun and Olli Juolevi) that are tightly grouped in the 2016 draft, with different scouts having different preferences among the group.

"Sergachev," wrote TSN's Bob McKenzie, "is a big, strong, elite-level skater with great productivity and a cannon shot from the point."

Listed at over 200 pounds already, Sergachev may be closer to NHL readiness than his draft peers.

Cons

Sergachev came over to the OHL in 2015-16, which may help to mitigate fears regarding the "Russian factor," but he'll undoubtedly have a job waiting for him in the KHL if things don't work out, and historically, that has been a concern for NHL teams.

Like most young defencemen, he's also a long way from being a finished product.

"I guess I would call it Dennis Wideman syndrome," OHL play-by-play man Reed Duthie told Kirk Luedeke of Scouting Post. "[A]t times, he’s as likely to pass it to his teammates as he is to pass it to the opponents."

- - - Updated - - -

Tyson Jost

Position: Center or Left Wing
Dimensions: 6’0″, 191 lbs.
2015-16 Team: Penticton Vees (BCHL)
2015-16 Stats: 48 GP — 42G, 62A, 104P
2016-17 Team: University of North Dakota

Pros

The 2016 class’s hottest prospect right now has been surging up mock drafts after breaking Connor McDavid’s scoring record at the World U-18 tournament in late April. He also destroyed the BCHL this past season, averaging more than two points per game and winning league MVP.

Long regarded as a mid- to late-first round pick, Jost is now consistently spotted in the top 15 and has risen to ninth overall in TSN’s mock draft.

“Jost is a crafty goal-scorer that carries out plays as quickly as he envisions them,” wrote Elite Prospects’ Curtis Joe. “As someone who thinks and plays at a fast tempo, it comes as no surprise that he creates a lot of energy as an offensive catalyst. He sees the ice very well and has the willingness and determination to win battles in the tough areas.”

Joe’s description of Jost aligns with the reports of others, which universally praise his all-around offensive skills. An unnamed scout quoted by Sportnet’s Gare Joyce called him the most likely candidate to grow into the best player of the 2016 draft class outside of the top 7-8 picks.

The Alberta native made a name for himself with Canada in the U-18s, tallying 15 points in seven games to edge American forward Clayton Keller (who will also be on the Hurricanes’ radar at 13th overall) for the tournament scoring title, even though Canada’s run fell short with an embarrassing 10-3 loss to USA in the bronze medal game.

He was named tournament MVP, joining a group that includes Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin and Phil Kessel as former World U-18 MVPs, and proved his formidability as a top prospect against the world’s best.

Cons

The BCHL is far from the top draft pick factory that the OHL or WHL is: a BCHL player hasn’t been drafted higher than the third round since Beau Bennett went 20th in 2010, and only one BCHL player was drafted at all last June (by San Jose in the seventh round).

Jost, meanwhile, hasn’t faced much competition in his career thus far — even the U-18’s were criticized for poor overall quality this year — and will have a test ahead of him against bigger, stronger competition at North Dakota this coming season.

For now, NHL teams can only to judge him based on what they’ve seen, and that can be a risky, uncertain judgment for a player who remains probably two years away from hitting an NHL rink for the first time.

Pure physicality, for one, may be a concern. Jost’s most basic of 'size’ measurements — 6’0″, 191 pounds — are pretty normal for a forward, but scouts have noted that he needs to add muscle and bulk in order to balance out his willingness to play physically with his effectiveness when playing physically.

Ben Kerr of LWOS also lists wrist shot power as a weakness.

- - - Updated - - -

Clayton Keller

Position: Center
Dimensions: 5’10”, 170 lbs.
2015-16 Team: U.S. National U18 Team
2015-16 Stats: 62 GP — 37G, 70A, 107P
2016-17 Team: Boston University

Pros

Keller and Marner differ very little.

Both are under six feet tall. Both are under 175 pounds. Both scored over 100 points on their respective teams in their draft year.

But all of that could be said of a large number of NHL hopefuls. Keller and Marner, however, don’t just have similar resume bullet points but also play the sport with similar (top-caliber) styles, as demonstrated by this side-by-side comparison of their Future Considerations scouting reports:

Keller stood out as the clear best player on the U.S. National U-18 Team this year, with his 107 points topping fellow likely first-round pick Kieffer Bellows by a 26-point margin. That total came within 10 points of unanimous No. 1 pick Auston Matthews’ record output in 2014-15.

The US U-18 team plays a schedule largely composed of various USHL junior teams and assorted universities before culminating its campaign with the World U-18 Championships. The U.S. claimed bronze in that competition, falling to Finland in the semi-finals before hammering Canada 10-3 in the third-place game, with Keller’s 14 points (four goals, 10 assists) falling one point shy of aforementioned Tyson Jost for the tournament high.

“(Marner is) a hard-nosed, fearless player with a lot of flash,” wrote Steve Kournianos of The Draft Analyst in January, “but he’s been Team USA’s leader and go-to option for every critical situation – defensive zone draws, killing penalties, gaining entry into the offensive zone, etc.”

It’s certainly much easier at the junior level to be that kind of all-around superstar due to talent alone than it is at the professional level, but Keller’s development has yet to show signs of being slowed down by anything.

[video=twitter;724445526150668288]https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/724445526150668288[/video]

Cons

If size is a minor concern for Jost, it’s a major concern for Keller, who must gain about 20 pounds to reach league average for bulk and will always be hampered by his height.

“He needs to strengthen his core in order to improve his balance and be more effective in the corners and in front of the net,” wrote Ben Kerr of LWOS in his scouting report, as well.

Keller’s diminutive body hasn’t hurt his career trajectory so far, but it could soon, and GMs will surely be keeping it in mind on June 24.

Only one player was lighter than Keller on the 2015-16 Boston University hockey roster, where Keller is currently committed for 2016-17 (although either his NHL aspirations or his Windsor-held OHL rights could still steal him away). He’s already used to playing collegiate opposition, though, so if he finds himself a Terrier in the autumn, the Illinois native is a pretty good bet to immediately gain star status on Jack Eichel’s alma mater.

- - - Updated - - -

Olli Juolevi

Pros

Olli Juolevi was already climbing draft boards before the World Juniors, but a performance in which he recorded nine points in seven games and won both a gold medal and a spot on the tournament All-Star team didn't hurt his stock at all.

Juolevi arguably lacks the same level of offence as Mikhail Sergachev and the stalwart defensive game of Jakob Chychrun, but he may be better than both when it comes to processing the game.

"NHL scouts say Juolevi’s greatest asset is his hockey sense—his ability to see the ice and make first passes," wrote Sportsnet's Gare Joyce.

"He makes the essential and key plays at every turn," concurred TSN's Craig Button. "He shows mastery of his position under the most challenging of circumstances, and his poise, calm and assuredness are the stuff of pillar-type defencemen."

That processing power, combined with skating honed on the big rinks of Europe, makes Juolevi a formidable prospect.

Cons

OHL prospects writer Brock Otten agreed that Juolevi is intelligent and efficient, but he argued that the player lacks the same upside as Sergachev or Chychrun:

I see Chychrun/Sergachev possessing first pairing upside, and both possess better physical tools. ... His shot is OK and I don't think he's naturally aggressive as a puck rusher. Thus, I don't see him being a massive point producer at the next level. ... He's definitely not mean, and he'll likely forever be a stick/positional defender.
Juolevi played on the most dominant team in the OHL and recorded only 42 points, fewer than either Sergachev or Chychrun (albeit in fewer games played). His 16 penalty minutes were also the lowest number of any regular on the London Knights' blue line.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Bergevin confident he'll make a trade tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

SERGIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- - - Updated - - -

THINGS ARE HAPPENING @King of Kings

- - - Updated - - -

SERGIO FFS ARE YOU HERE???????????????????

- - - Updated - - -

99% we made a trade.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Matthews TOR

- - - Updated - - -

Eller traded to WAS for 2 2nd rounds[2017+2018].
Shaw to MTL for picks 39/45.

- - - Updated - - -

Dubois #3 GREAT PICK...:mad:

- - - Updated - - -

EDM lucky getting Puljujarvi. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

wait, Nylander can be available at 9? WHAT?

- - - Updated - - -

FUCK YOU ARIZONA

- - - Updated - - -

and Nylander to BUF. They need a D. :rolleyes:

we must draft down. Don't want a D.

- - - Updated - - -

GET JOST DAMMIT

- - - Updated - - -

FUCK YOU, we got a D that's a lefty put plays on the RIGHT. Sergachev

- - - Updated - - -

Guy is good but JOST AND BROWN STILL THERE.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
but let's not get some offense. fuck this.

I may close this fucking thread for lack of action.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, good pick Colorado.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
but let's not get some offense. fuck this.

I may close this fucking thread for lack of action.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, good pick Colorado.
Sorry, Mark, but playing with my son is more important than this draft. I already sacrificed way too much of that yesterday with the NBA draft

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
:tup:

- - - Updated - - -

OTT/NJ make trade

if OTT get Brown I'll stop posting here. Might as well close this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

That's it. So long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)