The NHL Thread (16 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I'm back sugar tits, no worries :p

One of my best friends from home was in town this weekend, so I've been on a pretty solid 3 day bender :D Eventually had some down time today, as he was at the 'nucks game (brother works for the team). Those boys won't be too happy tonight... and won't want to hear from me right about now.

This has been a great series, Nzoric. Whatever happens, I've certainly been impressed by Washington - it's like night and day, compared with watching them in past years. Much more physical, defensively aware/responsible, and everybody is ready to sacrifice for the team.

I was really happy to see Seggy, Krejci, and Looch finally produce something today. So badly needed.

Game 7 is going to be a very intense affair.
you have very selective patterns of showing up :D . hope you had fun on the bender!

i'm pretty sure you guys will take game 7, but honestly - i couldn't ask for more from the caps. every game has been a tight affair, could've swong either way. our lines all produced, the stars dived head first to block chara shots. im very proud that we played this way against the stanley cup winner of fjor.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Ahhh, but I was here after the previous losses, and wasn't around here after Boston won the cup last year. Can you explain that? :D

It's more like I have selective patterns where I actively remember why it's good to spend less time on the internet. These odd patterns happen more in the spring and summer... it's crazy, I know. :p You should see the girls at my Local... pretty friggin ridiculous!

We had ourselves a gong show - fantastic weekend... although I'm still feeling it this morning! Also still pumped about gaining direct qualification for CL, and of course: the Canucks are out! HA!

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
id spend more time outside too if it wasnt still trench coat weather over here. tomorrow is going to be huge, id like to see ovie steppung up even more than he did in the previous game !!! will you be online while the game is played? we could have a live commebtary of our own :D

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
id spend more time outside too if it wasnt still trench coat weather over here. tomorrow is going to be huge, id like to see ovie steppung up even more than he did in the previous game !!! will you be online while the game is played? we could have a live commebtary of our own :D
I'm actually going to a friends house to watch the game, but I'll stop in for a post match recap a little later on. :D

It should be an intense, scrappy affair tonight, man. Game 7 hockey - it's going to be desperate out there. I'm useless on days like this... I have to start my day with a workout, because I just get so wound up. Let's get this show started already!

Enjoy the game, everybody.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Absolutely gutted. Congratulations, Nzoric - the Caps are worthy victors. I didn't think that the team identity of the Caps would enable them to play this well defensively - just a huge buy in, a great team effort. They did an excellent job of playing physical hockey, of getting into shooting lanes, sacrificing the body, and tracking back through the center of the neutral zone. It was a total team effort (Ovie was actually garbage tonight - hard to believe that guy makes almost 10M), and they deserve it. Holtby was great, although he has some flaws that teams will exploit as they see more of him. Washington is going to be a tough out, it really wouldn't surprise me if they made a significant run.

This was, statistically speaking, the closest series in the history of the NHL. Pretty crazy to think that during 427:34 of the 430:28 played, the teams were separated by one goal or less. Just under 3 minutes. Crazy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=9035

This is going to hurt for quite a while... all summer, really. I thought that Boston could grit it out, but there's so much circumstantial luck involved in winning a cup, and this just wasn't Boston's year. The big guns up front just didn't really show up, though it was nice to see Seggy produce in two important games at the end. That's a good sign. This team definitely wasn't as offensively balanced as last year's team, without Horton, Ryder, and Recchi; meanwhile, the third D pairing ended up being two players who were acquired at the deadline... just not quite balanced enough. We had trouble transitioning through the neutral zone, and a legitimate PMD is required; enter Dougie Hamilton and Tory Krug, I hope one of them is up to the challenge next year.

Anyway, considering Bergeron's probably got either a separated shoulder, or some type of significant abdominal injury, there was likely very little chance that Boston would have been making a deep run even if they had won tonight; he's just so important, in every aspect of the game. In my opinion he's an elite player in the league, although I'm sure very few casual fans will understand the impact the man has on the Bruins. One of my favorites of all time, and he's only 26. Boston really, really missed his play along the boards, and in the faceoff circle the past few games; we're a puck possession team, and he's out there for nearly every important draw... if he wasn't hurt, I also feel like he would have been able to bear down on that great chance in OT, but who knows. That play reminded me of how close Gionta came to ending game 7 last year, and just how quickly everything can change.

Alright, ramble done. Hockey is dead to me until the draft. Please, please, please get healthy Nathan Horton. Boston can't afford to have another first line forward retire prematurely, especially a clutch guy who can impact the game like Horty... hopefully the Bruins won't need to find a replacement. We've never really replaced Savard's playmaking ability; he was just so great operating down on the right board, during the powerplay... man, does Boston's PP ever suck. Looking forward to seeing Hamilton with the big boys next year, getting a better feel for Tory Krug, and seeing how Koko, Spooner, and Knight fare at development camp this summer.

Chiarelli's got some moves to make... and he should start by showing Corvo and Pouliot the exit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)