The NBA Thread (48 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Agreed. I think the Warriors would destroy both those teams just because the three pointer was not utilized back then
The thing that you have to consider though, is that just because the 3 pointer wasn't utilized as much doesn't mean that those teams couldn't shoot them. Cooper and Byron Scott for instance were 35% shooters back then, which was considered good at the time, taking into account the aforementioned lack of utilization. Laws of averages probably would mean that their 3pt % would drop, but it could also go up, given that they would shoot it with more regularity.

I think the biggest problem that those teams would have today is the floor spacing and positionless basketball. Poor Kareem would have to be at the 3 point line every time down the defensive end of the court. :lol:

Those teams of the past have these guys beat in regards to fundamentals and team defensive schemes though.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
The thing that you have to consider though, is that just because the 3 pointer wasn't utilized as much doesn't mean that those teams couldn't shoot them. Cooper and Byron Scott for instance were 35% shooters back then, which was considered good at the time, taking into account the aforementioned lack of utilization. Laws of averages probably would mean that their 3pt % would drop, but it could also go up, given that they would shoot it with more regularity.

I think the biggest problem that those teams would have today is the floor spacing and positionless basketball. Poor Kareem would have to be at the 3 point line every time down the defensive end of the court. :lol:

Those teams of the past have these guys beat in regards to fundamentals and team defensive schemes though.
It’s a fair point but I doubt the players you mentioned would be a match for literally the two best three point shooters of all time and Kevin Durant. That’s just insane and now they added Cousins on top of Green and Iguodala.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I knew he wouldn't get multi year high deal and at best 20m instead of max due to risky injury, somewhere like Mavs or back to Pelicans I figured one short deal. But for him to feel like he isn't getting enough offers to accept this low is unheard of.

I know he basically has no negotiation leverage with GSW who can low ball him due to being out until December (they are paying 5m for half a season, since it will take while for him to rehabilitate), and it basically guarantees him free championship, but to accept as low as 5m? Would think lowest he would take would been 15m (he is defenitely worth 33mish). Bob Myers negotiation level is off the hook.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
But they blocked us getting Chris Paul back in the day
Silver can't really do anything in this situation. The NBA owned the New Orleans team at the time so it was basically the owner vetoing a trade the GM initiated.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
IMO The lakers are still missing some reinforcements (even if they get Rondo and Lenard) to take on the Warriors
Rondo is a great PG Lebron is Lebron and Lenard is also very good while Stephenson is a very good defensive player but not the best offensive one...
In order to beat GA I think LA needs at least one more superstar (and 1 might not be enough)...
Rondo James Lenard Kuzma X - X needs to be a monster blocker and a good offensive player - If they get it they might do something
Kuzma might not be on GA level but he is a talent..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There is nothing the league can do about it. The Warriors are playing within the rules. Be mad all you want, but it is what it is.

What I think though, is that the NBA didn't expect All-NBA type talents to take much less money just to win a ring. They underestimated their own brand, and players don't need mega contracts to make mega dollars anymore.

That's the real reason behind it imo. It's interesting, because a lot of football leagues in Europe have shown some interest in salary caps as well, yet this means it doesn't necessarily level the playing field. One thing I do like about it is that in a way it does mean talents choose a team because they want to go for glory rather than make even more money. You're free to not like their choices, but in the end you could say they are making them because of sports reasons rather than financial ones.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Why did we get Rondo?
1. You dont get Rondo - The Lakers do..
2. Probably to be the PG with Ball traded (maybe for Lenard)
Right now it seems The new Lakers are going to look like this:
Center Kuzma Lenard James Rondo - a great center still needed

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
It’s a fair point but I doubt the players you mentioned would be a match for literally the two best three point shooters of all time and Kevin Durant. That’s just insane and now they added Cousins on top of Green and Iguodala.
the 2 best 3 point shooters and KD barely beat a James Harden and Chris Paul led Rockets team. would have lost if not for the CP3 injury. even then, Rockets flat out beat themselves by bricking a thousand open threes in game 7. the 2 best shooters without KD lost to Kyrie-Lebron led Cavs, who beat them defensively mind you in that game 7 of 2016. they needed 6 games for Lebron alone in 2015. overrated team in terms of all time greatness.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what we get for stealing Javale Mcgee from them :lol:
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

did Dwight negotiate a buyout already?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
NBA might as well go into a lockout until next summer, odds that Warriors win the league currently are at 1.5 :lol: why even bother with the 100+ games if we all know the outcome...

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
NBA might as well go into a lockout until next summer, odds that Warriors win the league currently are at 1.5 :lol: why even bother with the 100+ games if we all know the outcome...
If the Lakers do get Rondo Lenard and a great Center the odds will get lowered even if whatever happens I see GS as heavy favorites

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
how on earth could they afford Lenard and a great center?
They can't.

There aren't any great centers to get anyway, unless you consider Howard at the NBA Minimum (Allegedly he wants to play with Lebron) a great center. Great value? Possibly, but not a great center.

Then again, he's a knucklehead.

- - - Updated - - -

Clint Capela is a restricted free agent, so anythign that LA offers, Houston will match. He would be the perfect center for this squad.

The only thing that I can realistically see them doing is waiving and stretching Deng, giving them another 10.4 million in space. Add that to the 5.6 million they currently have, and taking that 16 million and splitting it between Tyreke Evans and whatever center they want to give the rest to, be it Lopez or Howard, and just call it a day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 32)