The NBA Thread (103 Viewers)

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
thats total BS, why would they intervene here and not when lebron/bosh joined heat
They intervene here because the Hornets is owned by the NBA ( The 29 owners are the ones paying the bills and the Salary ) so they need the majority to approve the trade wich they didn"t so the trade was called off. Different situation from the Miami Trade.

Chris Paul will not report to the Hornets training Camp and D12 asked to be traded to the Nets.

:lol: At the Lakers locker room right now, how akward would it be.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
They intervene here because the Hornets is owned by the NBA ( The 29 owners are the ones paying the bills and the Salary ) so they need the majority to approve the trade wich they didn"t so the trade was called off. Different situation from the Miami Trade.

Chris Paul will not report to the Hornets training Camp and D12 asked to be traded to the Nets.

:lol: At the Lakers locker room right now, how akward would it be.

The other 29 owners do not own the Hornets. The NBA owns the Hornets.

The General Manager of the Hornets was told specifically by David Stern and the NBA offices that they had carte blanche to make trades for the benefit of the team, without interference of the NBA. That same general manager that had to be talked out of resigning his post last night when this trade was cancelled by David Stern. David Stern was forced to call off the trade because other owners cried about it when they were ratifying the new collective bargaining agreement. The owners did not veto the trade because the other owners CANNOT veto a trade. It doesn't work that way.

It is the same situation as when the Texas Rangers a few years ago had to file for bankruptcy and was temporarily taken over by MLB. The other owners had absolutely no input in any dealings that the Rangers had made. None.

What David Stern did last night is going to have ramifications unlike anything that we have ever seen before. Let's look at this logically.

The Lakers were not the ones hurt the most by this, nor were the Rockets. The team that was hurt by this the most were the New Orleans Hornets. They are now hamstrung with a player who simply does not want to be there. Plain and simple. There was only one team that Chris Paul publicy stated that he wasinterested in going to, and that was the New York KNicks. In regards to the Lakers, it was reported that he was amiable to signing a long term contract extenstion with them, but his preferred destination was New York.

Now, you can forget about that happening as well. And you can forget about Boston, or any other Big Market team getting Chris Paul, because if the main gripe of the other owners was the fact that Chris Paul was going to go to a big market team, then there is no way that David Stern can allow him to go to Boston or New York, without looking like the biggest hypocrite in the NBA.

The package that was going to be received by New Orleans, and this is based off of the opinions of Chris Broussard, Stephen A Smith, Marc STein, Ric Bucher, Adrian Wojarnarski, and others in the US Media have all said that this was a very good collection of players and picks, especially considering the contract situation.

Now, there is no way that New Orleans is going to be able to get anything remotely close to a deal like that, for the simple fact that teams are not going to be willing to part with prime players and/or picks for a player who will amoutn to being a one year rental, which is what I have been stating time and again for the past 2 days in regards to this.

David Stern just screwed over the one team that is owned by the NBA. THe one team that is under his watch in making sure that the best interests of the team are looked after. Now, there is no possible way for New Orleans to get even remotely close to fair value for him. You can absolutely forget that happening.

And now, how Ironic, that moments after this trade was cancelled, all of a sudden Dwight Howard has announced that he wants to be traded for the Nets. SO let me get this straight. David Stern has just blocked a deal to the Lakers because "He doesn't want players to dictate where they want to play next", but somehow Dwight Howard is going to be traded to New Jersey? Talk about the worst possible timing for this announcement to take place.

A commissioner has never forced a cancellation of a trade before. Fine, the Lakers don't get Chris Pual. As a fan of the team, I can live with that. But what I cannot accept is a commissioner simply stepping in, and blocking a trade, because of the other owners complaining about it. Where were these owners for the Pau Gasol deal in 2008? Where were they last year when Miami was basically giving everyone away for the purpose of fitting Lebron/Wade/Bosh under the salary cap last year?

and FYI. Chris Paul is contemplating a lawsuit against the NBA because of David Stern blocking the trade.

And for those who are screaming about big market/ small market teams and the lack of competitive balance. Oh the irony in those statements, considering that we are talking about this on a forum of a team, who up until 5 years ago, was the most dominant team in Italy and a European power. You can't have ti both ways

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Wow Sergio, I agree with some of your points, In fact the other owners are the one who owns the hornets and i remember last year when the Hornets made thronthon/Landry trade, Cuban was made because the Hornets took additional Salary and he and the other 28 owners are the ones paying those salaries.

How Stern screwed the Hornets, The hornets and the rockets were saved from a very bad deal that could've put the Lakers in a very good position.

NBA owns Hornets, and Hornets acquiring MORE contracts on longer deals with LITTLE to NO hope of contendership and trying to find buyer, it makes 100% sense that they dont agree to the deal.

Chris Paul Has be traded for expirings, draft picks or another Star. Not for 31 old players with Large contracts. That makes no sense at all.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
I'm reading it. I'm also a member in the larger Basketball forum in the US :p

You should read this.

Dan Gilbert sent an email to David Stern, Adam Silver and several of his fellow owners to urge the NBA to block a proposed trade that would send Chris Paul to the Lakers.

The following is the email in its entirety:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...l_Urged_NBA_To_Block_Paul_Trade#ixzz1g2LcVFos

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You make it sound as if the hornets got nothing, when in fact they got one of the most versatile players in the game, an 18/8 player in scola, and a 20 ppg scorer in Martin.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
You make it sound as if the hornets got nothing, when in fact they got one of the most versatile players in the game, an 18/8 player in scola, and a 20 ppg scorer in Martin.

That's the Problem, If you trade a superstar like Paul, especially in a situation like the hornets one, because they are waiting to be sold, Scola/Martin/Odom won't make them contender probably they won't sniff the playoffs, You can't rebuild around neither one, none is an expiring contracts, you didn't any draft picks to help you rebuild. You just took some decent players with very large contracts.
It just doesn't help the Hornest not right now not for the future when they'll look for a buyer.

I know the Lakers gave up a lot Gazol and Odom are nice players but the deal is fucked if you see it from the Hornets perspective, and the problem with this deal is that they are a clearly a conflict of interest.
I think now Paul will just wait until the end of the season and walk out, either way it's a better situation for the Hornets if they are looking for a buyer wich the NBA should be doing ASAP because this is just a mess.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Stephen a smith is reporting that Chris Paul is absolutely livid right now. He is on ESPN radio right now, and is saying that he is suing the NBA. Oh and cheese, he also said that it was a great trade for the Hornets.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Do you think that trade is Better than the Celtics offer for the Hornets,

Rondo ( All start PG ), Green( Young player with Potentianl), Clipper's pick ( Arguably top 10 in a very deep draft) , and the Celtics pick.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Do you think that trade is Better than the Celtics offer for the Hornets,

Rondo ( All start PG ), Green( Young player with Potentianl), Clipper's pick ( Arguably top 10 in a very deep draft) , and the Celtics pick.
Guess what. Apparently New Orleans thought so, now didn't they? And For the record, that Clippers pick is Top 10 protected for 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. And how good is the Celtics pick going to be anyway?

And guess what else. Chris Paul already said that he was not going to sign a contract extension with the Boston Celtics.

And one more thing. there was also a future first and second round draft pick going to the Hornets as well in the deal.

i'm really just sick of people saying that new Orleans would have gotten shafted in this deal, when everyone in the media is blasting the hell out of David Stern and the NBA for blocking this trade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 89)