The NBA Thread (35 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Feels like yesterday there was this kid skipping college to go straight to NBA, that many compared with MJ as his natural heir. I grew up watching these two. Rip legend.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
drazen petrovic was a huge star too back in the days, i remember his death making the headlines. but kobe was a global brand, an other level to anyone else i can recall.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
drazen petrovic was a huge star too back in the days, i remember his death making the headlines. but kobe was a global brand, an other level to anyone else i can recall.
Roberto Clemente might be the most famous before Kobe. Died in a plane crash while delivering aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. Two time World Series champion and mvp, 3000 hits, first Latin American/Caribbean baseball player in the mlb hall of fame, was awarded the presidential medal of freedom posthumously. And has been put forward for canonization with no small degree of support to the Catholic Church as a saint.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The NBA began giving out the MVP trophy in 1956. Of all the recipients, only 3 are not with us.

Wilt, Moses, and Kobe. He was supposed to grow old and gray and sit courtside at Lakers games with his grandchildren. He was supposed to take his daughter Gianna on her first day of school to UCONN on a basketball scholarship. He was supposed to walk his daughters down the aisle. He was supposed to at least be old enough to hear Capri say "Daddy" for the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

As a Lakers fan for 40 years, this hurts and resonates much more than a tragedy like this should. We watched him grow up. We watched him go from a boy to a man, and felt a sense of pride to see what he was doing after basketball. An academy award, a best selling book, 2 sports academies, mentoring countless athletes both in and out of basketball.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Motorsport kinda doesn't count.

I'd imagine Scirea's death would be a huge shock too.
Funnily enough I looked at my dad after I found out what happened with Kobe and though oh this is what he felt when Scirea passed

It still seems so unimaginable that someone like Kobe is gone, he was just so immense and larger than life, transcendent, he was a part of the fabric of life for so many of us. It's just bizarre and looking at his face I just can't comprehend that he is gone.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Probably the most shocking and saddening news of the year so far.

A true sporting legend. RIP to him, his daughter and the rest of the family who lost their lives.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I wish his family and those of the other victims the best. It's saddening to such an extent. He's one of those people you grow up with, which transcend Sport altogether.

It reminds me of Michael Jackson's death for how sudden it was except Kobe was still in prime years

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Very sad news. Is he the biggest ever athlete to die from unnatural cause?
Most likely. People who don't even follow the sport know who Kobe Bryant is in almost every part of the world.

Michael Schumacher escaped near death but other than that, he's probably the most famous Sports celebrity who died of unnatural causes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 30)